Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Guitar's Instrumental and solos

This is a discussion on Guitar's Instrumental and solos within the Music forums, part of the General Entertainment category; Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover all it is, is an instrumental but its just awesome!...
Page: 2

ArtOfFighters

Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover

all it is, is an instrumental but its just awesome!

sime217

any good shredder will be able to do it on acustic aswell as on electric

proof:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EDhKv4ZVi5k - malmsteen
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JFwZzQLRafk - batio
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MhCsma_K92c - batio[/b]
    both batio songs werent shredding.. especially the bottom
    malmsteen had some shredding, but it wasnt that good, and he had delay on his guitar.
    btw wtf kinda shitty sound did that guitar make? it sounds like a futureshop guitar :S

and @ cocaine, i never said you never said acoustic shredders arent talented :P

Speed

sounds like that cause it has nylon strings... thought u should know that :P

sime217

thought it was an electric with steel ftw
    never noticed the strings, wasnt really looking at the vid wen he was playing..
    is that an electric guitar or is it amplified by a mic?

btw thats a fucked up piano XD
    black keys and white accidentals?

well thanks guys, I'm searching for some of the songs you mentioned as a MP3 format
    here is one, I can add more if you like it:
    http://files.filefront.com/02mp3/;94.../fileinfo.html

sime217

youtube ftw..
    dont have the patience to download songs

uhm, these guys are the greatest acoustic guitar players in the world. its not an opinion, its a fact.
    shredding on an acoustic is MUCH harder than on an electric guitar.
    also, if you look at paco's right hand, he's not using a pick. hes shredding using his fingers.
    acoustic shredding is so hard, because you dont have the distortion to help you make it smooth and fast.

btw, when u said it sounds muted, well lol its meant to be muted, he was muting his solo with his palm..

and edwin, lol, i know all the songs you posted; i like them all, just i dislike metal shredding, it annoys me
    i dont feel it if u know wat i mean, not my taste i guess

also, every song of the chili peppers is made of 2-3 progressions of 2-5 chords each.
    if you dont believe, try to find out yourself. go youtube and search some of their songs..
    i said they're made up of 4 chords; not 4 notes XD the singer sings along those chords, he doesnt sing random other chords.
    every1 follows those 4 chords.

and all im saying is that simpler music like beatles/RHCP is better than speed playing. it brings out more emotions, you can enjoy it.[/b]
    That de lucia/di meola/mclaughlin song i played with my friend for an A-level recital once, ive never seen it on video before.

About acoustic shredding, sorry i disagree. On a good quality acoustic with a fast neck shredding is quite easy. The exception is the classical style paco de lucia is using, which is much harder to execute than with a pick. Shredding *well* with distortion is not easy, and every single person i've known to say that has been poor at it themself. It is no different to playing clean except you have the added problem of string noise and muting. If you think that distortion makes playing sound smoother then you just dont have a good ear for proper technique.

Personally, the 3 best guitarists i have heard overall, all use different amounts of distortion usually (Holdsworth/Lane/Govan).

I hate most guitar music like Vai, Satriani, Becker etc.. It sounds so soulless. When it comes to quality instrumental music I look no further than 70's prog rock. Stuff like Yes, Frank Zappa, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson. Modern bands just seem to rip off stuff from that era, a lot of the originality is gone. Prog rock is unique because they are not writing to sell records, or get on the radio, it is such a pure form of expression. I should also mention Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys as one of the classic albums of all time with some amazing instrumental tracks.

sime217

no, you see the sustain of the distortion is what makes it easier.
    its the exact same concept as playing piano.
    when playing piano, you use the pedal to make it legato.
    when playing guitar effects (delay/sustain) represents a pedal.
    distortion has that long lasting tone which results in easier playing.
    im saying its harder to acoustic shred because you dont have those bonus features of sustain so you have to make the sustain yourself by slurring the notes. when i first started shredding on an acoustic, it sounded really choppy. on the electric, however, the distortion made it smoother and therefore made it easier to play

btw, i play that song too :P
    ive got a video of me playing it, but that was like 1-2 years ago when i was just learning it. ive been meaning to make another vid, but i dont have the recourses XD

Shredding is not about sustaining notes, it is about staccato notes so im not sure what you mean by that. Real shredders don't legato they use some form of picking (alternate, hybrid or economy). If someone is just legato freestyling then i wouldn't call that shredding. Anyone can legato fast with distortion, its easy. Satriani is a good example, legato in almost every solo, he is at best average at shredding. Picking accurately with distortion and making it sound good is hard. Satriani is what you think of as a shredder, but hes shit at it.

A reasonably example of a shredder is Malmsteen or Batio, their entire style is based on shred. I guarantee you that playing their licks clean is MUCH easier than with distortion since missed notes and string noise are barely heard clean.

Similarly using the sustain pedal on a piano just muddies the notes, i don't any half decent pianist will play intricate fast lines with the sustain pedal, it doesn't make it sound better, you can't distinguish the notes.

sime217

i dont know where you're coming from. distortion (in most cases) is used, apart from its sound effect, to cover up mistakes when playing fast. you dont even need to pick with distortion, just hammer on with your left hand. you dont have that advantage with an acoustic.

as for the piano, if you know how to pedal it won't be muddy sounding. you dont just press the pedal down and play the song lol.

of course, this is only my opinion. different people have different techniques and learning strategies. for some people electric shredding is easier, while for others acoustic shredding is easier. it really all comes down to the person's technique, knowledge of theory and their guitar. this is my opinion from my own experience.

however, playing fast, whether on an acoustic or electric doesn't make you good. thats one of the things i hate about metal shredding, there's no harmony, melody, none of it. it almost seems as though they are just putting together a number of notes from the top of their head. i'd say they should go take some music theory :P

to tell you the truth, i would much rather prefer a song using a metronome of 60/min than one with 200/min.

by the way, i'd really like to see a video of you performing Mediterranean Sundance

you are talking about legato, im talking about proper shredding. Legato is easy with or without distortion, because there is very little picking involved.

Heres a shred exercise by shawn lane, which is much easier to play clean because any mistake will ring louder with distortion. And any good player can hear mistakes with distortion. The pick attack is more clear. There is a huge difference between Lane's playing and say Kerry King from Slayer, who is a perfect example of a terrible shredder. You can hear every single note Lane plays, at equal volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8

but im not going to argue all day about this.

sime217

can you shred?

Cocaine

Something Festo showed me on IRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSzbmDWaEhA

He can shred.

xXEdwiNXx

I've just learn what 000 and sime sayed... and i just agree with 00 on one point : that distortion isn't here to hide mistakes...You are talking about hammer on, pulling of easier with distortion, it's just easier on Electric guitar and i'm not sure because really great accoustic guitar are so nice to play on...

But i disagree with 000 when you say that satriani's songs are soulless... When i listen to "Always with me, Always with you" ; "Midnight" ; "Searching" i can't believe you say that

Moreover to judge who's a good guitar player, you don't only have to see who's better in shred or legato etc... Each player have their own kind of playing. What I think we have to see too is the melody, sound etc... and the number of mistakes in legato/shred....I'm not sure i understood the word "shred" correctly, does it means to always use pick, no legato, no tapping etc..?

And I don't think that Shred is much Harder than legato, i'm playing guitar and i'm playing as fast in legato than in shred (if shred means what I think^^)... The matter is on my left hand, hard to go faster... right and is still ok to go faster...
    And legato isn't easy to sound great when you are playing all over the handle/neck of the guitar (sory i don't know how it's called)..

that's my point of vew

Something Festo showed me on IRC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSzbmDWaEhA
    He can shred.[/b]
    that was cool , zeros can you play Far beyond the sun for Malmsteem ? I love that song and I feel it's hard to play

But i disagree with 000 when you say that satriani's songs are soulless... When i listen to "Always with me, Always with you" ; "Midnight" ; "Searching" i can't believe you say that [/b]
    same here I like Satriani's songs but it's about taste and what we like and what he like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast