an hippy trivia question.

This is a discussion on an hippy trivia question. within the Music forums, part of the General Entertainment category; why did Jim Morisson got the nick "the lizard king"? i knew why but forgot and it refused to leave ...
Page: 1

Mighty

why did Jim Morisson got the nick "the lizard king"?
    i knew why but forgot and it refused to leave my mind.
    thanks

For the former record label of The Killers, see Lizard King Records.

The Lizard King is a mythic figure created as an alter ego by Jim Morrison, lead singer of the popular psychedelic rock group The Doors.

Morrison was deeply interested in occultism, both modern and classical. He was a proponent of both Jungian and Nietzschean ideas, and was also fascinated by Native American mysticism. Performances by the Doors often used words, actions, images and patterns intended to provoke a subconscious reaction in the audience. On stage, Morrison would often imitate a shaman by screeching, making animal sounds, suddenly falling over, and then either getting up laughing or playing dead. He would then slowly awaken from this "death" and smile wryly.

Shamans identified strongly with one deity—often embodied in an actual animal, such as a bear or a crow—in many forms of Native American shamanism. Morrison was fascinated by the lizard, believing that it symbolized a powerful force in the subconscious mind, epitomizing fear and longing in the psyche. His conception of the Lizard King has been interpreted by some as a recognition of a profound and transcendent spiritual reality. Like Buddha-nature, the Lizard King allegory represents a transcendent experience dormant in all humans, an archetype of the subconscious mind, like the achievement of nirvana. The Lizard King agitates and disrupts, much like a Trickster Hero. Attributes often associated with the Trickster archetype include cleverness and raw instinct.

Like many of his lyrics, a parallel can be seen between this and popular blues artist John Lee Hooker whose song "crawling king snake" was an influence.
    "I am the Lizard King, I can do anything." —Jim Morrison, "Not To Touch the Earth"

that good enough? h34r:

Banned

NICE GOOGLE

Mighty

NICE GOOGLE[/b]
    i tried to google it + checked on wikipedia but i havent found an answer h34r:

thanks majix

Bukowski

Yeah, when morrison was a child he witnessed a crash in the desert which killed a native american family. He believed that their spirits were intertwined with his...and like majix says in native american culture the gods would often take on animal form.

NICE GOOGLE[/b]
    :unsure: i memorized that shit from music history class

Mighty

Yeah, when morrison was a child he witnessed a crash in the desert which killed a native american family. He believed that their spirits were intertwined with his...and like majix says in native american culture the gods would often take on animal form.[/b]
    that explains whats up with the 'wierd naked indian' following him everywhere :P

reminds me of Whyne's world 2... ah, great movie :lol: