Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slayer

This is a discussion on Slayer within the Music forums, part of the General Entertainment category; Most people that refer to Slayer as one of the best thrash metal bands out there seems to always mention ...
Page: 1

Vishnu

Most people that refer to Slayer as one of the best thrash metal bands out there seems to always mention 'Reign in blood' and 'South of heaven', sometimes 'Seasons in the abyss'. I'm having a hard time relating to these albums as they are "too much thrash and too weak" for my taste.

When I think of Slayer I see 'God hates us all' as their masterpiece, accompanied by 'Diabolus in musica' and 'Undisputed attitude' rather then the oldschool albums. Are there more of the second generation slayer lovers around here, or are the people the first generation fans?

If you were to pick your 3 favorite slayer songs, which would it be?

Mine'd be, in no specific order:

Threshold
    Scarstruck
    Warzone

Nactoble

I saw them live in Unholy Alliance :P Slayer is no doubt the best thrash metal band. I just find thrash a bit boring nowadays.
    Also.. Slayer's career is really good.. no single bad albums.. (compare to metallica or megadeth lulz, they both have bad albums)
    I like South of Heaven, Reign in Blood and Christ's Illusion most.. God Hates Us All is a bit boring imo, Disciple being best song in the album.

mahmoodxD

I saw them live in Unholy Alliance :P Slayer is no doubt the best thrash metal band. I just find thrash a bit boring nowadays.
    Also.. Slayer's career is really good.. no single bad albums.. (compare to metallica or megadeth lulz, they both have bad albums)
    I like South of Heaven, Reign in Blood and Christ's Illusion most.. God Hates Us All is a bit boring imo, Disciple being best song in the album.[/b]

ughhh diabolous in musica isent exactly the pride on anybodys music shelf

besides that yea slayers done pretty well

i still kinda prefer megadeth overall

metallicas old stuff ruled but since load metallica has sounded more or less like a country band who thrash/heavy metal songs

mahmoodxD

meant to say metallica now sounds like a country band who covers thrash/heavy metal songs

Most people that refer to Slayer as one of the best thrash metal bands out there seems to always mention 'Reign in blood' and 'South of heaven', sometimes 'Seasons in the abyss'. I'm having a hard time relating to these albums as they are "too much thrash and too weak" for my taste.

When I think of Slayer I see 'God hates us all' as their masterpiece, accompanied by 'Diabolus in musica' and 'Undisputed attitude' rather then the oldschool albums. Are there more of the second generation slayer lovers around here, or are the people the first generation fans?

If you were to pick your 3 favorite slayer songs, which would it be?

Mine'd be, in no specific order:

Threshold
    Scarstruck
    Warzone[/b]
    I was kinda into Slayer in the seasons in the abyss - divine intervention period of the early 90's. They went a bit shit like most metal bands after that. Metal gets stale after a while, doing the same thing every album. A lot of kids are new to it which is how nu-metal picked up but I mean it's just the same old stuff regurgitated. The metal scene really dried up after 96 or so.

You have to remember that Reign in blood was out in 1986. There was NOTHING like it at the time (although i was only 4 then). Compare reign in blood to what was considered "heavy" at the time: master of puppets. Reign in blood was banned in loads of places because it was so satanic and it scared a lot of people. Metallica could never say that. I think until cannibal corpse got big, slayer were really about as extreme as you could get and they also were pioneers of that genre.

Vishnu

I was kinda into Slayer in the seasons in the abyss - divine intervention period of the early 90's. They went a bit shit like most metal bands after that. Metal gets stale after a while, doing the same thing every album. A lot of kids are new to it which is how nu-metal picked up but I mean it's just the same old stuff regurgitated. The metal scene really dried up after 96 or so.

You have to remember that Reign in blood was out in 1986. There was NOTHING like it at the time (although i was only 4 then). Compare reign in blood to what was considered "heavy" at the time: master of puppets. Reign in blood was banned in loads of places because it was so satanic and it scared a lot of people. Metallica could never say that. I think until cannibal corpse got big, slayer were really about as extreme as you could get and they also were pioneers of that genre.[/b]
    Yeah, Slayer really was the monsters of their time, I listen quite abit to their earlier albums aswell and would rate it over most music. First song I ever heard with them was 'Exile' from 'God hates.. think it was newly released then, so must have been in 2001. Before then I was mostly going with the flow listening to green day, in flames etc. After I heard that song I had to get more, first I got that whole album, then the rest of them all. I expected them to be more like 'God hates us all' so at first it was abit of an anti-climax, but the more I listen to the older albums the better they get.

For the metal music repeating itself part I really cant tell; Black label, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Metallica and more of those oldschool bands doesnt push my buttons so I simply dont listen to them. And what goes for Slayer I havent heard anything like it.

Find it very hard to get ahold of music I like nowadays, either it all sounds the same (imo in flames, lately Children of bodom etc), gets to dark ( At the gates, Cannibal corpse etc. just gets to crazy for me), or it's too weak like Metallica. I think the major problem is that there's no band atm the can produce really high quality music, they make 1 or 2 good songs and the rest is mostly crap, slayer you can just take a cd, put it in the player and let it spin. I might be wrong, oh well.

Nactoble

There are lots of quality stuff still you just wont find them from radio nor MTV.. get yourself last.fm and explore bands.

Vishnu

There are lots of quality stuff still you just wont find them from radio nor MTV.. get yourself last.fm and explore bands.[/b]
    LOL.

I tried last.fm, didnt like it.

I dont listen to radio, rather not listen to anything at all, I dont watch TV, fuck I dont even have a TV. If I wanna see something I download it.

myspace.com and mininova my friend, went over 100+ bands this weekend, found 1 worth listening to, Black comedy.

yeah slayer pwns
    my 3 favourite songs are probably
    skeletons of society
    Raining blood
    Criminally insane

Warrior of the Brocoli Senior Member Parasitic's Avatar

Angel of Death, Raining Blood, and Killing Fields my 3 favorite by Slayer...but yeah, metal these days has been semi-repetitive, hard to find things that are original. And I think we can stop bringing up that Metallica sucks now, thats like common knowledge, as soon as the St. Anger album hit, things went downhill. I love the thrash and speed metal, but something slow but fierce is pretty damn good, and also hard to find. Electric Wizard is slow, but I don't think I've heard anything like them, stoner/doom/psychedelic metal, or whatever you want to call it, its something worth trying out D:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps&feature=related

No video, just a picture and a song, but if you want something different then Electric Wizard is the way to go :P

Nactoble

LOL.

I tried last.fm, didnt like it.

I dont listen to radio, rather not listen to anything at all, I dont watch TV, fuck I dont even have a TV. If I wanna see something I download it.

myspace.com and mininova my friend, went over 100+ bands this weekend, found 1 worth listening to, Black comedy.[/b]
    LOL @ Yourself.. you can't "try" last.fm.. all features of that site (music recommendations etc.) comes when you use it for longer time.
    Now tell me what didn't you like about it?

Vishnu

LOL @ Yourself.. you can't "try" last.fm.. all features of that site (music recommendations etc.) comes when you use it for longer time.
    Now tell me what didn't you like about it?[/b]
    So far it only recommends an artist, the span of music that 1 artist has released is usually quite big and so far I havent found 1 good band I didnt knew of yet, "scrobbled" songs for over 3 hours. And any new bands it proposes it plays really shitty songs with.

I used to use pandora before the shut non U.S people out, there you could narrow it down to a song you liked which made it alot easier to find music you liked.

mahmoodxD

You have to remember that Reign in blood was out in 1986. There was NOTHING like it at the time (although i was only 4 then). Compare reign in blood to what was considered "heavy" at the time: master of puppets. Reign in blood was banned in loads of places because it was so satanic and it scared a lot of people. Metallica could never say that. I think until cannibal corpse got big, slayer were really about as extreme as you could get and they also were pioneers of that genre.[/b]
    well about the cannibal corpse thing, saying they are the most extreme thing around at that time is almost completely ignoring the presence of earlier influential black metal bands i.e venom as well as some other death metal bands (obituary, death, morbid angel)

Vishnu

Now tell me what didn't you like about it?[/b]
    So, it seems like you used last.fm some, So far I havent been able to "love" not even one song, but I got quite a blocklist. How can I get this damn program to actually play some good music? Even if it plays a band I DO like, it always play the songs I dont like by it. Do I have to sit and block songs for a week straight before it actually plays a song I actually enjoy?

well about the cannibal corpse thing, saying they are the most extreme thing around at that time is almost completely ignoring the presence of earlier influential black metal bands i.e venom as well as some other death metal bands (obituary, death, morbid angel)[/b]
    cannibal corpse were WAY more extreme than all those bands. Not necessarily influential, just extreme. Not because the music was inherently evil, but because they went out of their way to make the lyrics as vile as possible. I met Jack Owen back in 94 in london and he basically said it almost became an inside joke to get as much negative media attention as possible. They didn't make the lyrics vague to avoid prosecution, they just basically described really disgusting shit in vivid detail which is what offended so many people.

The only band to come close were Deicide imo, but they only became big a bit after CC. They had a lot of death threats and were banned in many countries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast