Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BETA Testing? Please leave your opinion!

This is a discussion on BETA Testing? Please leave your opinion! within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; To The Server Owners or To be owners: Please enlighten us with your reason for Beta testing To the Beta ...
Page: 1

Default BETA Testing? Please leave your opinion!

To The Server Owners or To be owners: Please enlighten us with your reason for Beta testing
    To the Beta Users: Please provide reason why you join to beta servers!
    To the Mods: I wanted to share these 2 articles with everyone (mostly the PRIVATE SERVER Owners and to be owners to know their reason for Beta Testing!

Code:
    The Rigors of Beta Testing: The Past, Present, and Futuremmo
    "Beta testing in that era (late 1990's)was often a challenging experience. These were unfinished games with incomplete rules and unpolished content. Hardware upgrades were often necessary to simply run many of these titles, especially games like the 3D-accelerator necessary EverQuest. Game installation seldom went smoothly, and many players found themselves wondering if they would ever find a way to get into beta. Once gamers were playing in the new world, they’d often fall through the landscape, zone into a “nothing” space, or simply experience other strange issues due to the relatively new technology powering these titles."

When asked a question about whether the MMO testing phases have changed in the past 5-10 years, the Ten Ton Hammer premium members suggested that beta tests are now almost solely about marketing and are populated with testers that ignore the “/bug” option and simply use the beta to demo the game. Even when the gamers do discuss the problems they see in the game, some MMO companies don't know how to handle the input these gamers provide.

“[Beta] seems to be more about marketing the game and hyping it up,” RawGutts
    “Beta tests now are glorified demos for the games,” Condar

“I wish there were more people submitting bug reports, but that’s the way it goes with beta, and we’re still finding them regardless. Besides, I need all types [of players]. I need the exploits so we can find them...I need the jerks.” - McQuaid talking about Vanguard’s beta phase

" By the time beta begins, you've made decision after decision that have compounded on each other. Your assumptions' assumptions' have assumptions about what your game is. The whole product, systems, content, operations, marketing, PR, community ramp, you name it -- is built upon them. Changing core assumptions about the product itself is unlikely to be possible without significant delays " - former EverQuest II senior producer and creative director, Scott Hartsman

“I no longer believe that beta’s purpose is to find bugs. I think beta’s purpose is to market your game. I mean it is the only way you can find things like huge balance issues and what happens when a bunch of players do something you never expected. It’s certainly there to find those things, but if you’re running beta for a game and you have crashes and bad frame rates, it’s not good.” in later interviewwith former EverQuest II senior producer and creative director, Scott Hartsman

"There is no science or rule book to follow for conducting a beta. It’s really a judgment call by the development team as to when to let players into their game. They need to decide if the game is ready for “primetime”. Make the wrong decision, and it could adversely affect your sales. Make the right decision, as DICE did with the Battlefield 1942 demo, and it could turn a new title into the “must have” game of the year!" - Steve Perkins, the director of marketing for Mythic Entertainment and Warhammer Online

The only time a Beta can hurt a game is if the game is not ready when it enters Beta. It all comes down to managing player expectations in terms of what they can expect in Beta, and how it does/does not relate to the game they will buy at launch. Clear, constant communication is the key, as well as demonstrating a facility to understand feedback, and respond effectively and appropriately. As usual, it all comes down to giving the game the time is needs to become a great game and truly ready for launch. As long as players see that commitment from you, they will be flexible in their assessments during Beta. - Turbine's Craig Alexander, VP of Product Development

"Perhaps developers should expect a bit more out of testers?" "I don't think the whole beta process would be hurt by developers outlining what is expected of testers to maintain their position with the testing 'team', and booting those that don't submit bug reports or feedback to make way for others who may be more inclined to take the process seriously, and not treat it as a free trial of the game." - Ten Ton Hammer members, Annatar

(Bye, 2009) Available from: The Rigors of Beta Testing: The Past, Present, and Future | Ten Ton Hammer

Code:
    MMO Betas: Tying Budgets to Beta Size to Production to Fun
    To a significant part of the core MMO audience Starting over feels like cheating.

One of the best things you can do in a game is to give people opportunities to feel like they’re cheating, or at least getting away with something, in a way that doesn’t make them feel guilty for doing it. Feeling like you’re pulling one over on the system is a good motivator.

It’s smart of developers to give people “safe” ways to derive that feeling from playing the game. Better they’re “cheating” by zooming through something they know than by becoming destructive cheaters - botters, hackers, and the like.

Given that, an outside observer can treat the size of the final beta as a referendum on the developer/publisher’s confidence in the game itself. That’s what I meant in the clip above referring to movie analogies.
    It’s not a 100% correlation - But in general, the bigger the beta, the more confidence. The later and smaller the beta, the less confidence, and the higher internal pressure (usually driven by the cost) to get something, anything out the door, as a hail mary.

By now most of the core audience realizes The Miracle Patch doesn’t exist, and it never has.

Smart developers know that (enough of) their audience knows this, and are planning their beta’s progress accordingly. If you’re operating in the launch-big-or-die model, and you put an un-fun or unstable beta out on promises of a future patch coming out to Make Everything Awesome, people will see right through it, and you’ve just shot yourself in the foot.

(hartsman, 2009) Available From: http://www.hartsman.com/2009/04/22/m...uction-to-fun/
    Last edited by ioOi; 11-21-2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to add refrences

man.. go sleep :P

I know it's long but It's an interesting read. There are different people input from around 90's to present about the game beta testing.

@JimX: already 8am dude, will go to bed early in the evening

Beta in KO private servers is totally useless. Players use it to find bugs to use for their gain (Most of them).

Yes i also think that Beta testing (Private servers for KO) is more about marketing the game and hyping it up.

Why i play beta?
    - To help out find bugs
    - To know the admins and GM's (if any online in game)
    - To get contact with the developers (Which has never happened)
    - To make recommendations (Which is mostly waste of my time because i get reply such as 'That's the way server is meant to be')
    - To get an idea how to go forward in the server (like it was said before Starting over feels like cheating.)

most people login to beta just to check how their game client working..I mean if someone have laggsss becouse of dedi server or any screen freeze becouse of crapy files or when someone using old pc with shity grafic card and checking if he can play there without any problems and after that he know what he can expect in the official launch and dedcide if he is able to play there ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Undef View Post
    most people login to beta just to check how their game client working
    well might be true but looking for individual opinions :P {and we might come to a conclusion (might not be the best one) as to why if many people answer this}

P.S. Nice sigg

Work it, make it, do it. Senior Member ThiefShaman's Avatar

I read only the first few lines, anyway.
    The reason I for make a BETA testing for my server is to avoid having problems in the official, such as bugs, bad rates.

Quote Originally Posted by ThiefShaman View Post
    I read only the first few lines, anyway.
    The reason I for make a BETA testing for my server is to avoid having problems in the official, such as bugs, bad rates.
    well if you have time, read the post and the two links provided. Will help ya understand lot about the beta, users and testers

Quote Originally Posted by ioOi View Post
    well if you have time, read the post and the two links provided. Will help ya understand lot about the beta, users and testers
    the only reason i join beta's is cuz i am bored..there is NO good server around.. and from beta time you usually know if server worths playing or not.. even though i was wrong on my last pick

Quote Originally Posted by JimX View Post
    and from beta time you usually know if server worths playing or not.. even though i was wrong on my last pick
    we all were dude

What can i say? after reading it..

knight online betas are meant to figure out who is going to be playing and who SAYS their going to be playing come official.

90% of server betas dont fix shit anyway.

most servers make their betas full pk or some dumb shit because the players beta testing are too lazy to level or farm gear, and the owners are desperate enough to cut something so important completely in half...all for the sake of having people on their server. but when official comes all hell breaks lose, drastic changes are made, bugs are found and rants are had on forums such as these.

example?: Knight Kingdom 250+users at launch [not on peak hours] .now its barely 30 on a slow night. all because they changed so much shit they could have changed in beta. if they would have done things right theyd be hiting 1k users easily...

[forum mods, dickriders of knight kingdom: im not flaming or starting shit, they DESERVE to be an example plain and simple.]

Banned

I just play beta's to see how the server is and to get familiar with it.
    Especially since im always hopping on different servers ( like myko based to pk to light farm etc; )
    But most beta's last like a week at max nowadays. Usually beta's are like a month or 2 for professional games Q~Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast