Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree39Likes

delete topic

This is a discussion on delete topic within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by xolyansa It's actually the original fy_iceworld map from CS with original textures It's not the original map; ...
Page: 9

Quote Originally Posted by xolyansa View Post
    It's actually the original fy_iceworld map from CS with original textures
    It's not the original map; it's a custom made lookalike. The textures are the only thing straight from it (and even they've had to be converted/recompressed to be supported by KO). I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's extremely simplistic -- such that it's possible to simply throw in a few objects (i.e. the walls), set the ground texture, and voila -- you've copied their map. That's.. all there is to the map (i.e. simplistic, and well, blocky -- yay CS). The most amount of work involved here would've been converting the object models, the rest would've been spent trying to place/size them correctly using an editor which is essentially just a list of the objects (i.e. not doing so visually).

I don't even think he's done any others (I haven't seen any), which is most likely because it was rather time consuming to do it how he did it the first time. To be honest, the map's quite horrible (not to mention an eyesore)... with the extent of time it would have taken (and manually!!) it really wouldn't be worth it to do any others like that, so I don't blame him.

You could find a better source of new maps (in mgame's format even -- although slightly different) from Repent Online/Legend of Ares.
    I vaguely remember seeing one that would better suit the snow war, even. You might try there.

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    It's not the original map; it's a custom made lookalike. The textures are the only thing straight from it (and even they've had to be converted/recompressed to be supported by KO). I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's extremely simplistic -- such that it's possible to simply throw in a few objects (i.e. the walls), set the ground texture, and voila -- you've copied their map. That's.. all there is to the map (i.e. simplistic, and well, blocky -- yay CS). The most amount of work involved here would've been converting the object models, the rest would've been spent trying to place/size them correctly using an editor which is essentially just a list of the objects (i.e. not doing so visually).

I don't even think he's done any others (I haven't seen any), which is most likely because it was rather time consuming to do it how he did it the first time. To be honest, the map's quite horrible (not to mention an eyesore)... with the extent of time it would have taken (and manually!!) it really wouldn't be worth it to do any others like that, so I don't blame him.

You could find a better source of new maps (in mgame's format even -- although slightly different) from Repent Online/Legend of Ares.
    I vaguely remember seeing one that would better suit the snow war, even. You might try there.
    We had editted it a little bit before but it didnt look nice. We can edit it however we want to but we're leaving it original.
    Here's a example
    Screenshot by Lightshot
    Screenshot by Lightshot

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    not that sure if it's even worth writing new maps , because people wouldn't feel like it's KO anymore. Anyhow , to the real post reason how'd you begin with creating a tool like that or is there existing (could be hacky or awful whatever) tool to create new textures and maps for KO? I've done several in fps games , but of course i can't compare it to KO because there is lot more tools for making these maps.

or do I recall wrong that you already created something for this? or was it just for converting maps or moving stuff from point a to b.

@op , wouldn't change anything if you change textures on it because the map is just boring and looks pretty stupid for KO. Not saying it's bad work and good for you if you managed to create something custom, but just not going to work in KO scene I think.

SEXIEST NOSE ON EARTH Senior Member SheldonCooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mortal View Post
    not that sure if it's even worth writing new maps , because people wouldn't feel like it's KO anymore. Anyhow , to the real post reason how'd you begin with creating a tool like that or is there existing (could be hacky or awful whatever) tool to create new textures and maps for KO? I've done several in fps games , but of course i can't compare it to KO because there is lot more tools for making these maps.

or do I recall wrong that you already created something for this? or was it just for converting maps or moving stuff from point a to b.

@op , wouldn't change anything if you change textures on it because the map is just boring and looks pretty stupid for KO. Not saying it's bad work and good for you if you managed to create something custom, but just not going to work in KO scene I think.
    It was for converting

Quote Originally Posted by SheldonCooper View Post
    It was for converting
    We also later updated mgame's map editor, but yes, that tool was for converting between all the various formats (and their effects as well).

We have sad news.. We are forced to have a second delay in our official launch.. the reason for it is that the dedicated server we were supposed to recieve is still not here. We recieved it but it was total crap.. So we are now looking further for other options. Next to that we had the feeling of insufficient advertisement. Couldnt get a sticky topic on ko-cuce also we are still waiting for some changes on our anticheat to have the server fully functioning all these things take time and we are scared to say that we are not able to get it done on time. Simply cause we are stuck to other people. So we are sorry to tell but we will have to delay our official launch once more.. 18-07-2014 is the day for our main launch.. Untill then we wish sheldon the best with his server !

Quote Originally Posted by xolyansa View Post
    We have sad news.. We are forced to have a second delay in our official launch.. the reason for it is that the dedicated server we were supposed to recieve is still not here. We recieved it but it was total crap.. So we are now looking further for other options. Next to that we had the feeling of insufficient advertisement. Couldnt get a sticky topic on ko-cuce also we are still waiting for some changes on our anticheat to have the server fully functioning all these things take time and we are scared to say that we are not able to get it done on time. Simply cause we are stuck to other people. So we are sorry to tell but we will have to delay our official launch once more.. 18-07-2014 is the day for our main launch.. Untill then we wish sheldon the best with his server !
    happens, just keep working and don't worry about the delay, you will get it till 18.07 !

Quote Originally Posted by tobol View Post
    happens, just keep working and don't worry about the delay, you will get it till 18.07 !
    Thank you for your support tobol !

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

LinkBacks (?)

1. Hits: 9
    06-28-2014, 12:43 PM