This is a discussion on Eternal KO, a level 70 limited farm server. within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by Josh
" [Tech GM] Aristona -- Update: Just a little information. We're currently setting the server up ...
I hope he does it on the same day / time, because i changed my work schedule!
Wednesday at 20:00 please!
hey ari talk to me on msn if you fix it i will donate the hell out of your server xD
my clannies. LOG VENT IF U WANNA PLAY AION!
Jesus Christ, 20 pages of flaming, and there are like 5 people who have the fix, but they won't give it to right people... i guess because of money they can earn on their server ?
Why the smartest ppl from KO private server community, can't make one server, which will have 5k people online, and just spend donation money on hosting the server and rest send to charity organization....
Coz there are no smart ppl playing ko and ko server files cost so little, that all those fagget wannabeloldevs just keep em to their random 2-month servers to rake in some dollahs from donations.
If u ppl only knew what decent private server game files cost. Dam russians are bathing in hookers, milk and non counterfeit sportswear tnx to l2 and likes.
That was the reason I was thinking about... though.
For once, it will take up to 4 whole days just to configure everything. By configuration I mean;
1. Installation of tools, like Firefox, server files, monitoring files, packet loggers, at very least, tools like WinRAR and such.
2. Computer speed optimisation, so there won't be jackload of files running in background. Computer will be more reliant. This includes enabling softbios connections and overclocking CPU, editing RAM timings also.
3. Optimisation of hdd
4. Installing correct drivers (not the ones installed by techs)
5. Installing windows updates (this alone takes like 2 hours to be downloaded on 2003)
6. Changing regedit settings for server to be more reliant (e.g quicker reboot, changed ports, using maximum allowed connection speed, preventing ping ddos, generally hardening the regedit settings etc.)
7. General security configurations (anti-bruteforce, decryption of rdp packets, disabling unused ports and such)
8. Seperating windows user accounts. Disabling Administrator. Making a very limited user with connection permission just to open/restart server. Denying most of it's permissions. (Over 200 permissions to be adjusted here.)
9. Configuration of tools like FTP. Securing it. Setting maximum upload amount, preventing bruteforce to admin account...
10. Installation of MSSQL. (This also needs group permissions to be edited.)
11. Restoring database, doing general configurations. (e.g disabling remote connections, enabling audit logging for both success/fails, changing database collation, making auto-backup scripts/jobs...)
12. Creating MSSQL users. (Usually 7x for different purposes.)
13. Setting their permissions. (That's the hardest part! There are over 30 permissions to be adjusted on a single table. [...there are like 70 tables]
For example, panel should NOT need permission on K_MONSTER table (The table contains the information of mobs ingame), but AI_SERVER user needs SELECT permission there, so it can read it. Login server can only select Account ID and Password from accounts table. It can only insert/select/update/delete on IP_BANS table.) This one makes some sense?
14. Seperating system DSN's, MSSQL users. (KO servers have 4 DSN's that being used with jackload of permissions, my servers have 8, with minimised permissions as possible.)
15. Configuration of client, making patches, uploading client to mirrors, testing it.
16. Configuration of panel. Changing scripts to be working with new SQL installation. Updating old information. (Since my panel backup is 1 years old, it takes a while.)
17. Finally... logging into server ourself and playing the game. Did we forget giving permissions to FRIEND_LIST table? (Because that table had no permissions in BETA, therefore friend list option ingame wasn't working.) Monitoring log files and setting up the rest. Doublechecking anything may be forgotten.
18. Installation of firewall before going live.
19. ...Alot more. Like downloading KO editors, reversing them to match with our database. (It is slightly different than others.) Installing debuggers, monitors, packet loggers... configuring connection settings, I can't really think about more right now but let's say making inbound/outbound rules?
20. Stress testing dedicated server, (we have overclocked CPU's, but is the system stable? If it freezes or does unexpected things, we gotta change things.) ddosing server ourself and see how it reacts. (e.g Are we getting IP banned because of inbound rules we made?)
21. Lastly, testing our server against shitload of exploits. Releasing beta if it's all normal. Fixing database related bugs found during beta.
These alone my friend, took already like an hour for me to write. How would you expect them to finish quicker? Be glad I didn't cound exceptions. (e.g Forgetting to allow RDP on Firewall before configuring it )
I can't believe myself I am actually trying to fix a shell exploit (if you have no idea, use google) just by going on permissions...
It is like there is a thief in your house, who is free to walk, free to move, yet you are trying to make sure he cannot harm your house, or steal anything.
Actually, the solution is as just easy as kicking him from house, locking the doors/windows so he cannot go back in. (In this case, it refers to downloading a fixed aujard... and double clicking it. ...How hard, lol) The possibilities he can go while he is in your house in limitless. At very least, even if he cannot do anything to my server, he can delete clans, make someone else clan leader, put himself into best clan, execute procedures himself, inserts his name to everyone's friend list... These permissions are already granted to him by Aujard user. That is WHY I keep saying going on permissions won't solve anything and it is pointless.
I won't write anything to trolls anymore. Just wasting time here and I am very well aware of it. The people who probably didn't even write a single line of code into CMD, teaching me security. (As some of "them" acted like a lawyer without knowing a jack about international laws, merchantile laws, let one trademarks/copyrights and their sanction in NDKO topic.) Guess internet haz so many l33t lawyaahz.
That last point, does that mean there is going to be another BETA? -.-
But yeah... you really don't need to be doing all that. Also, it's probably faster you just do it and stick to the brief status updates. They really don't need to know the minor details... unless you're trying to prove something? :/
Last edited by twostars; 07-02-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Oops, missed a few words?
Next to that, I fail to understand what you're trying to accomplish with all your posts?
- U want to play this server and think that posts like the ones you've been posting will make it happen sooner? I seriously doubt it..
- You're not planning on playing on this server and you're just randomly flaming aristona for the fun of it? If so, no1 cares. All we care about is the end result and when the server is up, people will play on this server wheather u make 100 posts where u blame aristona or none, people will still play.
Tell me, really wondering what you're trying to accomplish here.
I've had plenty of arguements with aristona as well, I've disagreed with a lot of things he did. But in the end it doesn't matter, I'll still play on his server.
Compared to this7 days? for real? After all his servers he should be able to put that shit up blind within a few hours lolLast time I checked this is still a public forum about private server advertisements. I can ask and say w/e I want if it's about the topic at hand.KingNick, seriously. If you have no idea what you are talking about, just shut up, because you are making yourself look like an idiot.
And why shouldn't I? He's gonna make money, or atleast he's gonna try to. If the server is succesfull and fun, I will donate for sure, so again why shouldn't I be able to ask and question his actions when he's the one getting paid?