Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 2 Post By Kallop
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 2 Post By Decerto

Discussion | Longevity of Classic Light Farm Servers

This is a discussion on Discussion | Longevity of Classic Light Farm Servers within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Greetings everyone ! I've been pondering a question that has been on my mind for a while: Why do many ...
Page: 1

Validating

Post Discussion | Longevity of Classic Light Farm Servers

Greetings everyone !

I've been pondering a question that has been on my mind for a while:
    Why do many of the beloved light farm servers seem to only maintain their prime for about two months?
    These servers, reminiscent of the vintage KO experience, cater to a substantial group of players who crave that nostalgic blend of farming, PvP, and occasional wars, all while preserving the essence of the game's simplicity.

Yet, it appears that within a mere two months, we see a surge of maxed-out players. This influx often discourages newcomers who find it challenging to progress without resorting to real money transactions for gear. especially in cz where they get wacked , leaving them no motivation to keep playing..

Can anyone shed light on this pattern? Additionally, are there any viable solutions to extend the longevity of these servers?
    adnan2533 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Greetings everyone !

I've been pondering a question that has been on my mind for a while:
    Why do many of the beloved light farm servers seem to only maintain their prime for about two months?
    These servers, reminiscent of the vintage KO experience, cater to a substantial group of players who crave that nostalgic blend of farming, PvP, and occasional wars, all while preserving the essence of the game's simplicity.

Yet, it appears that within a mere two months, we see a surge of maxed-out players. This influx often discourages newcomers who find it challenging to progress without resorting to real money transactions for gear. especially in cz where they get wacked , leaving them no motivation to keep playing..

Can anyone shed light on this pattern? Additionally, are there any viable solutions to extend the longevity of these servers?
    Gaming habits changed and most people that play KO come in for a quick fix of nostalgia. 2 months is plenty of KO for 2-3 years for me at least. The game hasn't evolved a single bit and most games that people play these days keep receiving updates every week or month, so that's what people are used to. Playing a game from 2006 that hasn't really changed and won't change will never keep people interested for a long time. Not to mention there's no sense of discovery. A lot of players have done everything in KO, except maybe being the King or owning the Delos castle. You know everything about the game, so you do the same thing you've done for the past decade.

This was also evident in the "KO remake" Rise Online. It's just not fun to spam the same keys to level up your character, while that process also takes over a week of sleepless nolifing. No modern games work that way, because if they did they would die. There has to be story, quests and distractions from the boring grind to make leveling fun. Not just spamming Z+R+2 and occasionally potting. That stuff is for macro/bots to do. Again, games have evolved, KO hasn't. And if you remove leveling altogether from the game, PvP is still amazing in KO, but there is no reward or incentive to keep doing it after you've done it multiple times in the past. There's no rush from reaching top 20 or top 10 rankings for a lot of people, it's just a .jpeg next to your name.
    Blitzcrank and siwyswirus like this.

i wish KO had an english speaking server that was the true old myko. Anyone remembers ko4life ran KO server ? With old maps. That was super hardcore,getting a bardish and you felt like you can solo 3 people. That is what KO will always be to me. Leveling and item progression is so good. Farming trolls for glaves,then dms. Getting first raptor when everyone is in plates lol. Nowadays its just babashop with monster summon stones in PUS. I understand that server owners need to make money,servers arent cheap,but most of the time greed takes over.

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

crazy to me people exist in this world of "nowadays its just babashop"
    my man what year did people *not* babashop in ko? every "legend" u can think of from back in the day spent hundreds for items, did they not? "oh but they werent buying from the server" ya so what they were still buying from other players for $ non stop

the game is pretty simplified and figured out, not much to play and even if you did its just to profit because its the same community from server to server and people dont improve after 15 years of being bad

kallop is right, game is just bad; look at wow arena, that has held the test of time since release between private servers and retail to classic, when the PVP is engaging enough and skillful+rewarding enough, whereas in KO its just incredibly imbalanced dogshit not to mention babashopping p2w autism rampantly

and thats exactly why i play wow and not KO . I know that all the "legends" were babashopping,there was a guy from my town that knew a gm that was giving gold bars to his clan. Dude had an iron bow +10 in ROFD era.

Validating

Quote Originally Posted by Kallop View Post
    Gaming habits changed and most people that play KO come in for a quick fix of nostalgia. 2 months is plenty of KO for 2-3 years for me at least. The game hasn't evolved a single bit and most games that people play these days keep receiving updates every week or month, so that's what people are used to. Playing a game from 2006 that hasn't really changed and won't change will never keep people interested for a long time. Not to mention there's no sense of discovery. A lot of players have done everything in KO, except maybe being the King or owning the Delos castle. You know everything about the game, so you do the same thing you've done for the past decade.

This was also evident in the "KO remake" Rise Online. It's just not fun to spam the same keys to level up your character, while that process also takes over a week of sleepless nolifing. No modern games work that way, because if they did they would die. There has to be story, quests and distractions from the boring grind to make leveling fun. Not just spamming Z+R+2 and occasionally potting. That stuff is for macro/bots to do. Again, games have evolved, KO hasn't. And if you remove leveling altogether from the game, PvP is still amazing in KO, but there is no reward or incentive to keep doing it after you've done it multiple times in the past. There's no rush from reaching top 20 or top 10 rankings for a lot of people, it's just a .jpeg next to your name.
    Hey Kallop, after reading your take, it got me thinking. Are we really saying that today's devs, who know KO inside out, can't shake things up a bit? I mean, there's gotta be some way to twist the game, drop in new rewards or goals, and make things fresh again, right? Before we throw in the towel on this gem of a game, maybe there's still a shot to make it pop again.

GDM

You cant have longevity because 85 % of players are here to sell godlbars . There is always a new "big" server that opens next month and the goldbar business is more lucrative over there . So 85-90% ppl will go to the next server . Those ppl that are left dont wanna pk vs ppl with equal gear , they wanna 2 shot ppl with low gear , and when those ppl are gone , usually they quit . Welcome to the private ko scene .

Validating

Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    You cant have longevity because 85 % of players are here to sell godlbars . There is always a new "big" server that opens next month and the goldbar business is more lucrative over there . So 85-90% ppl will go to the next server . Those ppl that are left dont wanna pk vs ppl with equal gear , they wanna 2 shot ppl with low gear , and when those ppl are gone , usually they quit . Welcome to the private ko scene .
    Hey GDM, totally get where you're coming from. But what if we devs could narrow down the disparity a bit? Imagine if the gap between the big spenders and the average player wasn't so vast. If the high rollers (for example) had shard +7 , medicore uniques, and chitins +7 and most others were around md+6,7 and chitins 6. Do you think reducing this variance in gear might help keep players around longer? Just spitballing some ideas here.
    Decerto likes this.

thats exatly what i want. A server where shards and raptors +7 are godlike. Forget about +8 lol. It should be so low even with trinas that even babas will think twice before burning so much cash trying to upgrade. It should be just some lucky dude hitting that 1%. But then again, thats what i want. I really doubt that people want a hardcore server where you have to level for weeks and pvp in +5 gear.
    Sirouko and Whiskey like this.

Validating

Quote Originally Posted by Decerto View Post
    thats exatly what i want. A server where shards and raptors +7 are godlike. Forget about +8 lol. It should be so low even with trinas that even babas will think twice before burning so much cash trying to upgrade. It should be just some lucky dude hitting that 1%. But then again, thats what i want. I really doubt that people want a hardcore server where you have to level for weeks and pvp in +5 gear.
    So, here's a thought: What if we took out the long grind to level up, starting players at their endgame level, with decent gear to start with, such that they dont get wacked in CZ, But, instead of the usual PvP, you'd spend your time farming and questing to get that slightly better gear. Imagine the hustle to score those chitins +6 given the tough upgrade chances. You think that twist might draw in the KO crowd?

I invite you to this server!

Akira Myko Light Server

AKIRA KNIGHT ONLINE

Hi Whiskey.

We have developed a new system to change this situation. We will open our Yourko 1299 Server with XACS infrastructure on September 22, with Boost server support. A boost server will be opened 1 month after the server is opened. The main server will remain open and the boost server will become a subserver. There, exp rate and item drop rates will be simpler. The boost server will be closed at the end of the week and the players playing here will be transferred to the main server. In this way, new players will constantly enter the game, and new players will quickly adapt to the game.

Click here to read the detailed introduction.

We welcome everyone to our Yourko server, which will be opened on September 22nd.

Validating

Hey Yann! Your approach with the boost server sounds pretty innovative. Quick question though: will your server eventually transition into a new-age server with level 83 and additional gear/items? Just wondering if you're keeping the old school vibe intact or evolving into something new. Cheers!

Our server will gradually level up. The starting level will be 65. Levels 70- 72- 75- 80 will be added to the game sequentially.

AKIRA KNIGHT ONLINE 2 months Open !!