Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

No Drama KO - releasing soon!

This is a discussion on No Drama KO - releasing soon! within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by twostars Uh, my code's running just fine. I make it a point to keep it working as ...
Page: 42

I am Timmeh Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    Uh, my code's running just fine. I make it a point to keep it working as optimally as possible. Really though, what are you referring to specifically?

The attack/skill cooldowns/delays? Even designed poorly I can't see them being that insane of a performance hit as to start "lagging" the server; time, map, check. What else is there that's needed to be "shifted" server-side? All the usual checks should exist already, but how much of a hit is a simple (non-float) check anyway? A couple of instructions at best; absolutely nothing for a CPU these days. Even floats are handled insanely fast, though I be careful in my use of them to optimise compiled code.

The only thing I can think of that needs to be shifted server-side that (when written poorly) can lag out the server is the collision checks - but don't worry, I've already thought of that.

Bear in mind though that I'm not using pascal/delphi for any of this - that's where you will have had issues. Similarly to VB, it just doesn't compile neatly - always so very.. verbose and ugly.
    You strongly discourage me to go to college for computer programming :/

yeah im talking about cooldowns collisions... like every characters collide in every seconds, spamming skills... its ok your cpu can handle that but do you have an internet connection like that

its like netural DDOS, you need clientside and serverside checks too

btw i made my own mmorpg years ago

http://gerydeft.atw.hu/p/projects/3dmmo

Quote Originally Posted by gerydeft View Post
    yeah im talking about cooldowns collisions... like every characters collide in every seconds, spamming skills... its ok your cpu can handle that but do you have an internet connection like that
    I'm confused, what does the connection have to do with it? It's not the one processing the additional checks, or handling anything more or less (well, technically I am feeding it less than the original server) than usual - so how does it have anything to do with "shifting" client-side checks to the server?

Edit:
    I'm sorry, but is your server written with AutoIt? Really? You're talking to me about performance..!?

Look, if someone wants to make 100% secure game then moves everything serverside and the client will be extermly thin.
    Its called streaming. You just watch a video and keystrokes will be sent to the server (like onlive)

Usko is not a game like this,so when you press a skill client will check if its still on cooldown if not then it sends a request to server, server should also check if cooldown is done and player will be able to cast spell if its loaded. Now lets say someone makes a hacktool or have poor connection, he will spam the skill wich will result in very high latency, i doubt that u have enough bandwidth to check for alot of requests at once.

TL;DR its not CPU issue its bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    I'm confused, what does the connection have to do with it? It's not the one processing the additional checks, or handling anything more or less (well, technically I am feeding it less than the original server) than usual - so how does it have anything to do with "shifting" client-side checks to the server?

Edit:
    I'm sorry, but is your server written with AutoIt? Really? You're talking to me about performance..!?
    Since its a testserver it doesnt matter, the real client/ server written in c++.

Shifiting client-side checks to server side= server lagg...

btw u have german vpn?
    Last edited by gerydeft; 05-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Look, if someone wants to make 100% secure game then moves everything serverside and the client will be extermly thin.
    It doesn't all need to be strictly server-side to be secure. In fact, by having checks at both ends you're conserving bandwidth; why send a packet if we already know there's a problem? It doesn't need to be completely "thinned out" to be secure.

Its called streaming. You just watch a video and keystrokes will be sent to the server (like onlive)
    It's always "streaming" regardless... what's your point? Brush up on your terminology a little.

Usko is not a game like this,so when you press a skill client will check if its still on cooldown if not then it sends a request to server, server should also check if cooldown is done and player will be able to cast spell if its loaded.
    Correct, and this is what my server does.

Now lets say someone makes a hacktool or have poor connection, he will spam the skill wich will result in very high latency, i doubt that u have enough bandwidth to check for alot of requests at once.
    Okay... breaking this down you're saying a user simply accidentally spamming a skill request is going to lag out the server, producing high latency? Hardly - you'd have to be writing your server in well, AutoIt for it to be an issue here.

Could someone by crafting their packets manually? Yes, but that's always an issue - also not limited to skills. Using my server as an example of such an attack, it wouldn't even make it to the packet handler; this sort of activity is just dropped. For starters, you have to be fully authed and in-game for it to even process this packet. Once you finally do make it to the packet handler (let's say you're in-game, have hooked the client and are sending your crafted packets through the client's Send method [handling packet encryption, including sorting out the CRC checksum and packet ID for the packet] - otherwise your packets would, again, simply be dropped), you'd need to have a. a valid packet structure, b. valid IDs, and c. be spamming it pretty damn hard for it to be blocking all of the client socket worker threads, in which case the firewall would be dealing with it anyway.

The cooldown/delay checks themselves are neither intensive nor blocking, so I really don't see your point.

TL;DR its not CPU issue its bandwidth
    How is this specific to the emulator then? If it's bandwidth, it's ALWAYS a potential issue - people don't just flood emulated servers, they flood anything whenever they like. That's one of the reasons we have firewalls, to help manage these attacks (preferrably from a hardware level, rather than a software one - less that the server has to deal with, the better). Additionally, with a 100Mbps uplink (or 1Gbps is pretty common nowadays; even back when I ran my old server and will be the case here....) short of a large targeted flood, bandwidth is so not going to be an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by gerydeft
    Shifiting client-side checks to server side= server lagg...
    You're generalising a bit here. Explain why - more instructions, yes - more for the CPU to do. Which checks and why are they causing it to lag? The answer is they WON'T be if you're doing it right, and given your client/server I am not going to go by your experience on this - please just take my word for that.

Since its a testserver it doesnt matter, the real client/ server written in c++.
    I'll have to take your word for it. I personally, don't tend to write servers (test or otherwise) in scripting languages, but that's just me I guess. Did you just say client too? Are those KO textures/icons I see? Hmmmmm.

yeah i cant draw skills so i rip from other games.. for testing, then i make my own ones.

have fun with the emulator (i hope you know who made the first emu)

i will check its security later

Banned Senior Member

gerydeft , your poor threats have no place here.
    Fuck off

I am Timmeh Senior Member

Alot of people are just hating on twostars... just keep working on the emulator and don't worry about these guys...

He's obviously not worth your time because he completely disregarded everything you said to prove him wrong.

have fun with the emulator (i hope you know who made the first emu)
    Feeling a little dejected? I don't class 'yours' (what happened to it being "your friend's", eh? yes mate, I was around then - it didn't get forgotten ) as an emulator, as remember - all it did was, for the most part, send static packets right back to the client; that was the first release. The second release, still incomplete, was also still completely useless and unusable. Did it ever become usable? I can't say mine's perfectly ready for use yet, but it's been "usable" for quite some time at least; "first" or 500th, I know the effort's gone into mine and I know, objectively, it outperforms "your" old emulator by a large margin, let alone mgame's own server files. That's what I'm aiming for; performance. Not to be first, just to yield the best possible result.

i will check its security later
    You do that, and you feel superior. You deserve it, being first and all and writing "your own" (hey, that looks like an example model! and name! and it's all written in AutoIt via the Irrlicht include! and they're KO's textures and icons! wait, which bit's "your own"?) 3D MMO and you feel very special.

I'm here for KO, so if you're done with all of your showoffs and bragging rights, I think we'll get back to KO and getting things done - right.

k66k Senior Member ShellinShitakaMad_doll's Avatar

fuk gery, ignore him twostars and keep up the work

ok i see suddenly everyone hating me while i was supporting the idea but if you want me to be the bad guy let it be

ok i see suddenly everyone hating me while i was supporting the idea but if you want me to be the bad guy let it be
    Nope you're the retarded guy no one likes. lol.

Banned Senior Member

Gery , don't you think for a second we all forgot you're a DB hacker with GM friends who help you get unbanned every time.
    Darch and Spike are still in my memory and all the illegal items you sold over the servers are also there.
    so again , Fuck off.

what happened to kodevs ?

LinkBacks (?)

1. Hits: 1
    10-06-2010, 10:24 PM
  2. Hits: 5
    10-06-2010, 10:12 PM