Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Like Tree30Likes

Phenom KO | SERVER SHUTDOWN | RETIRED

This is a discussion on Phenom KO | SERVER SHUTDOWN | RETIRED within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; People that have the time to do shit like this really needs to get laid...
Page: 25

People that have the time to do shit like this really needs to get laid

Quote Originally Posted by MrRapist View Post
    Not sure what exactly made you think I know #2, I was just saying that you were implying a lot.
    Oh, oops - I see what you meant now. Sorry about that -- I really wasn't implying it though, just suggesting to give them what we know and hope we help to draw enough attention to the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRapist View Post
    Why would PayPal care if you provide them his IP and his PayPal adress? For all they know that could even be your father you are pissed at. Trying to piss him off. Like I said, all talk, no solid proof.
    This is correct, but Paypal aren't too fond of people steal & abusing accounts. More often than not, they lock the accounts down pending investigation at the first sight of confirmed trouble. If the alleged victim is aware of what happened (or, if not yet - then when), and takes it up with Paypal through the standard route, this - at the very least - should trigger the lockdown, and if there's any notes kept on the situation from our previous contact, we've surely had to help in some manner, regardless of the guarantee of authenticity.

My point being, while it isn't much of anything on its own, it's something -- and moreover, to my knowledge, all that we can really do to help stop this guy. If he's telling the truth, and he's behind a lot of the attacks, then I think it's in everyone's best interest here to do what they can to stop him from being any more of a nuisance to owners.

What he's doing is illegal (and yes, in saying that I realise that our private servers are illegal too -- but cyber terrorism is on a whole other level to copyright infringement [well, if you're talking to anyone BUT, say the MPAA. :P]).
    Turkey, at least, doesn't take kindly to those who perform DDoS attacks (see the numerous arrests made in Turkey for that very reason). This is no different.

Really, I don't see much of a reason not to want to draw attention to this guy, even if Paypal pay no heed to it - it'd be worth the try.

So, meh.

For server owners it seems the following choices apply:
    - invest in a server setup that not only attempts to mitigate flooding (e.g. one or more firewall boxes in front of your server[s]), but allows for mitigation upstream (for considerably larger attacks) and hope this guy's botnet isn't that spectacular (not sure how accurate this is, but Russian told me that the guy claimed to have been taking down KO-Tastic. If this is true, then you definitely have a good chance. We were caught wholly unprepared, but when we finally did get back up on our feet, the flooding was very manageable [also, by this time for several reasons - not purely the flooding - it was far too late to save the server]). This should be done anyway, but the majority of servers don't recognise that there is always a threat there, and fail to prepare themselves (we were actually prepared - for MUCH smaller threats than what we were hit with... first time I'd actually seen an attack that large in the PSKO scene, but it was completely and utterly my fault for not considering the possibility).
    - With or without the above, report the guy and hope Paypal deals with him. If not Paypal, there's other sources that'd love to hear about cyber terrorism. Botnets are comprised of real, everyday peoples' PCs infected by these people paying for their connections (and possibly making their ISP charge them considerably more, for their 'extra' activity they're unaware of). Anyone's PC could be infected. It's illegal, and for very good reason.
    - Pay the guy and hope he doesn't/stops attacking you. I'd strongly advise against this option, but hey. He's the one giving you it.

Lay down and take it? Or do something... I see no question here.
    PS: I've reported him to Paypal, his ISP, and indirectly, the FBI. Most likely nothing will come of it, but it's worth it.

I appreciate your efforts twostars.

Banned Senior Member

After all the sarcasm i made to this topic i have an announcment to make.I give the admin a big grats cause its one of the few guys who actually made a big affort to set up a diferent graphic mostly server and when the hole project went down.
    he didnt vanished as usualy mmost kids do.
    he sit here and changed the topic also so inform everyone about its progress.
    i feel sorry about my sarcasm and i also give my big respect to that guy who did actually treat that way.

A BIG BRAVO!!!!

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    Oh, oops - I see what you meant now. Sorry about that -- I really wasn't implying it though, just suggesting to give them what we know and hope we help to draw enough attention to the guy.

This is correct, but Paypal aren't too fond of people steal & abusing accounts. More often than not, they lock the accounts down pending investigation at the first sight of confirmed trouble. If the alleged victim is aware of what happened (or, if not yet - then when), and takes it up with Paypal through the standard route, this - at the very least - should trigger the lockdown, and if there's any notes kept on the situation from our previous contact, we've surely had to help in some manner, regardless of the guarantee of authenticity.

My point being, while it isn't much of anything on its own, it's something -- and moreover, to my knowledge, all that we can really do to help stop this guy. If he's telling the truth, and he's behind a lot of the attacks, then I think it's in everyone's best interest here to do what they can to stop him from being any more of a nuisance to owners.

What he's doing is illegal (and yes, in saying that I realise that our private servers are illegal too -- but cyber terrorism is on a whole other level to copyright infringement [well, if you're talking to anyone BUT, say the MPAA. :P]).
    Turkey, at least, doesn't take kindly to those who perform DDoS attacks (see the numerous arrests made in Turkey for that very reason). This is no different.

Really, I don't see much of a reason not to want to draw attention to this guy, even if Paypal pay no heed to it - it'd be worth the try.

So, meh.

For server owners it seems the following choices apply:
    - invest in a server setup that not only attempts to mitigate flooding (e.g. one or more firewall boxes in front of your server[s]), but allows for mitigation upstream (for considerably larger attacks) and hope this guy's botnet isn't that spectacular (not sure how accurate this is, but Russian told me that the guy claimed to have been taking down KO-Tastic. If this is true, then you definitely have a good chance. We were caught wholly unprepared, but when we finally did get back up on our feet, the flooding was very manageable [also, by this time for several reasons - not purely the flooding - it was far too late to save the server]). This should be done anyway, but the majority of servers don't recognise that there is always a threat there, and fail to prepare themselves (we were actually prepared - for MUCH smaller threats than what we were hit with... first time I'd actually seen an attack that large in the PSKO scene, but it was completely and utterly my fault for not considering the possibility).
    - With or without the above, report the guy and hope Paypal deals with him. If not Paypal, there's other sources that'd love to hear about cyber terrorism. Botnets are comprised of real, everyday peoples' PCs infected by these people paying for their connections (and possibly making their ISP charge them considerably more, for their 'extra' activity they're unaware of). Anyone's PC could be infected. It's illegal, and for very good reason.
    - Pay the guy and hope he doesn't/stops attacking you. I'd strongly advise against this option, but hey. He's the one giving you it.

Lay down and take it? Or do something... I see no question here.
    PS: I've reported him to Paypal, his ISP, and indirectly, the FBI. Most likely nothing will come of it, but it's worth it.
    What safety measures should be taken for Botnet ?

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425