Page 37 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Xiona KO - PK/Very light farm * Lvl 83 *

This is a discussion on Xiona KO - PK/Very light farm * Lvl 83 * within the Private Servers forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by Warmonger Built on winsock completion ports, it has so many WSA functions used that its practically tied ...
Page: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
    Built on winsock completion ports, it has so many WSA functions used that its practically tied down to the Windows platform. It would take a huge effort for someone to completely rewrite the base to utilize something better like BSD sockets. Which means it will never be Unix capable. What I am trying to establish with my rambling is, you wont ever see newer version files unless you make them yourself (or some major effort is establish with the public project). In the several years I have been away from KO, and now i've finally came back. It's no different then when I left, everyone who was noob is still noob. I bet your KO panel isn't even written in PDO like it should be. It's just the irony of everyone who disliked me when I left, and still dislikes me now. Will be ever so easily raged over how wise I have become. How's that for my head up your ass?
    Your responses are getting pretty hilarious now. If you knew anything about writing networking code (which, you don't -- as 'your' server is a cut down version of a popular open-source MUD server, tweaked to use the KO protocol), you'd realise how ludicrous you sound.

Point #1: Winsock is just that, Windows sockets; obviously it's tied down to the Windows platform, without a serious rewrite.
    Point #2: "WSA functions" or no, the I/O completion port model is only used by Windows (or well, nothing exactly like it's found anywhere else -- [s]Solaris[/s] Slowaris (edit: pretend there's strikethrough, d'oh forums) is about as close as it gets). Other operating systems prefer alternate models, such as epoll (*nix) & kqueue (fbsd). (NOTE: I differentiated *BSD from regular old *nix!).
    Point #3: You just realised it was heavily tied to Windows? By Winsock? What about MFC!? That's extreme Windows.

Regardless, although I only update that project infrequently, several major changes are in motion (some not yet pushed) to rework/stabilise their code. Removal of MFC is a priority, networking code rewrite also, but porting it to other operating systems -- highly doubtful (I can imagine it would only end badly for most users).

In addition: why the strong love for PDO? Saw someone else pressing its use? PDO isn't a must. It's great and all, but it's not a must - probably it's strongest argument for use is its emphasis on parameterization, but other drivers can handle that fine (even ODBC, in a limited form [i.e. no named parameters], which is still perfectly acceptable for use). The second strongest argument would be its use of exceptions, however exceptions are slow. For typical panel use, there's absolutely nothing wrong with raw odbc_*(), or mssql_*() functions. For larger applications sure, PDO is advisable.

Not that any of that matters to you, or this thread. I just wish you'd try to at least start reading up on things before you start spouting nonsense... it may sound like magical flying unicorns to the typical poster here, but to the seasoned programmer all you're saying is BS. Troll elsewhere!

Banned Senior Member

He reminds me of a Chihuahua...barks a lot but not shit to back it up...

Banned Senior Member

PVP Event of each class will start in 1 hours, get ready.

Ouch must suck when you try to sound smart, and then the person you idolize comes in and says your an idiot lol.

Some of Warmonger's technical points may not have been accurate, but he definitely hit the nail on the head when he called all of you leechers who flat out refuse to learn. Some of you have been on the scene for years, and still have no understanding of how anything works. Whether that be PHP (for the leached websites you guys use) or SQL, it's just pathetic the lack of effort put in by this community. Sure, there are a few members with great understanding of how things work, and they got there from putting in the time to learn, not just ask for the answer. I honestly don't know why Twostars helps you guys, there is a huge lack of respect toward him, and at the same time you people expect him to solve all of your problems...

Pick up a book and learn something, whether it be C#, C++, C, PHP, SQL, LUA, it doesn't really matter as it will only further your knowledge and help you in the long run. Constantly saying "Oh, I'm learning x" doesn't actually make you learn 'x', you have to put in the time, practice, try to solve problems on your own to really grow.

Banned Senior Member

That refers to me right?
    Iv'e learned so much since i started doing ko dev'in, 1 year ago.
    Maybe i havn't learned any hard language like the example you gave, well i do know sql fairly well, other then that i know bits and pieces of a few hard languages.

Maybe the ko community is how it is because everything is spoon fed, and no real work needed to go into anything to be somewhat successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    That refers to me right?
    Iv'e learned so much since i started doing ko dev'in, 1 year ago.
    Maybe i havn't learned any hard language like the example you gave, well i do know sql fairly well, other then that i know bits and pieces of a few hard languages.

Maybe the ko community is how it is because everything is spoon fed, and no real work needed to go into anything to be somewhat successful.
    Not aimed at any 1 individual, it's the majority of the community though. What is a "hard language"?... How would knowing bits and pieces be useful? A general understanding is nice, but you really need to fully understand what you're working with. Once again, the issue here is refusal to learn, not that somebody else can give answers.

Banned Senior Member

By hard language i ment, languages that are basis for programming, such as the examples you gave a few post up, I know it wasn't aimed at any certain person but warmonger saying that isn't exactly true when it comes to me, yeah i haven't learned as much as i could, due to irl problems and owning and running a server for a year by yourself is a lot, but hey this topic is getting a bit off topic...

Bump up for this gg server and its only for long time already <3

By hard language i ment, languages that are basis for programming, such as the examples you gave a few post up, I know it wasn't aimed at any certain person but warmonger saying that isn't exactly true when it comes to me, yeah i haven't learned as much as i could, due to irl problems and owning and running a server for a year by yourself is a lot, but hey this topic is getting a bit off topic...
    Lol, what is a language that is the basis for programming? Are you talking about derived languages? It really sounds like you have no clue whatsoever. The essence of what Warmonger said in regards to the leechers in this community is absolutely spot on, and the idea that "oh, that doesn't apply to me" is exactly why. Go ahead and look back at the concrete releases you've put forth toward this community, what have YOU actually contributed? I'm not talking about things other people did and you edited them and re-released with your name on top...

You ran a server for a year by yourself, and you never once thought it might be useful to actually learn about the systems you're operating? That is the worst excuse I've ever heard lol. If your IRL problems were so immense, taking time off completely would be a better decision (I personally did this).

Banned Senior Member

Sigh...Not going to keep discussing this. You miss understood what i was saying.

Sigh...Not going to keep discussing this. You miss understood what i was saying.
    I think I understood perfectly, but you don't want to accept that you're a leecher. It's how everybody thinks (correct or not) "Oh, I'm not a leecher, they mean those other guys".

If there were less leechers, there would be more than just 1 person helping people on snoxd (Twostars).

Banned Senior Member

Who said im not? Iv'e returned to the community as much as i could, to the best of my knowledge, does that make me wrong? Don't people share stuff on snoxd for it to be "leeched", Do they say "You can only use this if you contribute", No yeah that would be the best case scenario but it never happens that way, so again what are you getting at?

Ofc if there were less leechers there would be more people helping thats basic logic.

Banned Senior Member

All of the current private servers "devs" are leechers and nothing more, they just know how to edit the database which is just changing numbers to be honest.
    Jonny likes this.

Who said im not? Iv'e returned to the community as much as i could, to the best of my knowledge, does that make me wrong? Don't people share stuff on snoxd for it to be "leeched", Do they say "You can only use this if you contribute", No yeah that would be the best case scenario but it never happens that way, so again what are you getting at?

Ofc if there were less leechers there would be more people helping thats basic logic.
    My point is that Warmonger's point was completely valid. You want to dispute and fight it, and act like it doesn't apply to you, because you have excuses. Sorry man, they're just excuses and pretty bad ones at that.

Instead of sulking and trying to deflect, why don't you sit down and learn something? Knowledge is power and will enable you to contribute far more as time progresses and your experience grows.