• 1 Post By KEWorld
  • 1 Post By Mauja
  • 2 Post By Mauja
  • 1 Post By Decerto
  • 2 Post By Mauja
  • 1 Post By confidence
  • 1 Post By Mauja

[Mauja] Knight Online Armor Improvements

This is a discussion on [Mauja] Knight Online Armor Improvements within the Private Server Technical Support forums, part of the Private Servers category; I wanted to share a project I am working on for a client right now. Knight online is a pretty ...
Page: 1

Default [Mauja] Knight Online Armor Improvements

I wanted to share a project I am working on for a client right now. Knight online is a pretty old game. Its almost 20 years old. Most of the textures in game are 256x256 at best. The process of improving existing armors requires some tools to convert the 3D n3cskin files of the armor to .OBJ files to work on them. Let me show you an example.

This is a chitin pouldron piece of Puri Tuarek. As you can see the resolution of the texture is not quite good in the right one. And the middle part is streatching down due to how the UV map designed. On the left side , overall quality of the armor is significantly improved and redesigned. I even added some battle damage to the armor. Priest gets the most damages in the battle field right? ^^

Take care, if you have any questions ask in the comment section.

congratulations. I'm happy to see such a good work.
    Mauja likes this.

looking mega fresh nice work man!

Update:

I finished the pouldron piece. Working on Pads now. There were couple issues I needed to solve. This piece is harder then the pouldron. The UV map is weird. I almost re-designed the piece. In the original left leg is complately covered with plate armor. I like to see the chainmail armor underneath more.

This is not finished. work in progress.

retail likes this.

I am working on Tuarek Armor I might change some colors when i finish the whole armor set. For now original colors are kept.

Devilmody and Decerto like this.

thats amazing. Why official KO didnt do this ages ago i haven no idea. Probably cause they give a fuck about regular armors and they just pimp out the cosmetics like valkyre,bahamut,etc. I hope p.server owners pay you to use these files cause they look fresh as fuck.
    Mauja likes this.

UPDATE:

I worked on the Tuarek Armor a little bit more. I decided to reinforce the armor. I made side panels goes all the way to the back plates. And I changed the front spikes. And since this is based on full plate armor and I am making this to be a chitin armor, I make upper part of the chest plate similar to the chitin armor. And improve the overall undercoat chainmail armor as well. After the initial painting I added some battle damages. Keep in mind that this is still work in progess.

The creative process of making art is complicated. You never know what will work or not. Creativity is not something you can have all the time. And the talent is not a endless source you can spend. In the process the piece will evolve , maybe into something you never envision yourself in the beginning. Often times the work will end up bad and you start over. In my first tests for this process I started over more than 20 times for a single piece. I am doing this because I like to do, not to please people. But if you like what you see leave a comment.

If you have ideas or have thoughts about my work let me know by commenting.

Aether and Devilmody like this.

UPDATE:

Original textures has seperated plates on the sides, I might still use that idea on the new version but for now I leave it as a single metal plate. Like a blank canvas I can make something late. Well the main idea is to improve both the visuals and the logic behind the armors. Thats why I use chainmail as a undercoat not the fabric. I'll publish the in-game end result when I finish the all the parts. I'll match the colors after I finish them all. Right now I am not worried about the colors too much. As I am a colorblind artist. I'll deal with the colors at the end. Ty for reading.

Left one is the original Full Plate Armor. Since the original Chitin Armor is too complicated for the re-work process. And Full plate and Chitin has exactly the same 3D mesh and UV map. I decided to use the fullplate amor to make a new chitin armor. in Knight Online Chitins are basicly Full Plate Armors that has different texture on it.

You can watch how I make these armors in the video down below.

Last edited by Mauja; 01-28-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Nice work , it looks amazing
    Mauja likes this.

UPDATE: Tuarek Rogue Helmet Re-work

its not yet finished, i'll add more texture, dirt, scratches, shine and other minor adjustment later. This is the development so far. You can see side by side comparison with the original texture and mine.
    nickos3 likes this.

many of you ask me to show you how the armors looking in the game. Allthough its a work in progress I can show you Tuarek and arch tuarek's Armors in game.

Arch tuarek's armor is near complated. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauja View Post
    many of you ask me to show you how the armors looking in the game. Allthough its a work in progress I can show you Tuarek and arch tuarek's Armors in game.

Arch tuarek's armor is near complated. Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

Love your mob HD texture rework, but perhaps this will sound a little bit critical, but the first armor set looks unappealing and doesn't fit into KO style (green full plates), at least for me.

Second armor set (I believe black Chitin rework?) however looks very nice!

Perhaps it makes more sense to stick to original or close to original, classical KO color schemes and just rework the textures into HD style as you were previously doing, those reworks seemed to work the best from what I've noticed so far in your work.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SexyLittleAnimal View Post
    Love your mob HD texture rework, but perhaps this will sound a little bit critical, but the first armor set looks unappealing and doesn't fit into KO style (green full plates), at least for me.

Second armor set (I believe black Chitin rework?) however looks very nice!

Perhaps it makes more sense to stick to original or close to original, classical KO color schemes and just rework the textures into HD style as you were previously doing, those reworks seemed to work the best from what I've noticed so far in your work.

Cheers
    Thank you for the comment. Not a single color is final in these test pieces. Colors will be evaluated and implemented with the client after the work is done. I am a color blind designer. I pick whatever I see fit ( most of the time rest of the world who has normal eyes see different then me )

Let me know what you would like to see reworked ^^