Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Repercussions of a public panel.

This is a discussion on Repercussions of a public panel. within the KO4life Private Server Area forums, part of the Private Servers category; Looking at the KO Panel Poll thread I've realized you guys have no clue on what the actual risks are ...
Page: 1

Default Repercussions of a public panel.

Looking at the KO Panel Poll thread I've realized you guys have no clue on what the actual risks are for using a public panel. So I am going to list them just in case you decide on doing it, you have a clear and precise page that you can look at and see if the pros out weigh the cons.

Pros

• A Panel that users can use to register/view user rankings and etc.
    • Open the server a lot quicker than you would with out/with a secured panel.

Cons

• An easily hackable web server.
    • Risking your server files & database.
    • Risk compromising your database. Some people like to add special monsters that drop a wide range of uniques. So in case the web server goes down, they still have a quick way of getting items/money.
    • Risking user information that could contain USKO/KO4Life accounts.
    • Risking your reputation as a server.
    • Risking your dedicated server & having to pay more money for a reformat.
    • Risking your server files & database going public and losing all your players to standard KO servers with your files.
    • Risking personal information. All dedicated server companies keep records of your name, address, phone and other valuable personal information.
    • Risking your player base. Some players will not play knowing you sacrificed your integrity & put them in harms way of malicious attacks just to get your server released. Remember, KO Databases keep logs of users IP's.

So let me ask you, do the pros out weigh the cons?

This post is more for the community than it is the developers.
    Last edited by Alpha; 03-27-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Sir DooM* Senior Member DoomBringer's Avatar

Its true, but since theres maybe only a minimum delay, We can allways use autoregister.

I have to disagree with 90% of the list you made since its utter bs. You just started to think of reasons and it went totally random. A panel with only registration is not that hard to secure, hell, i even sent them one for free.

Right now its a question of release it now with auto registration and work on the panel as time goes vs stop the project since it clearly failed.

Im thinking, what will be problem if there is no panel, just registration? DEvolpers may be want higher standarts, but we must realize if we really need that kopanel. I think that majority of this community wanna just play not bothering with panel stuff. What would be bad about having just registration, yea the only minus point i see is the rankings, which is not that usefull.

Scythe

as for me ko4life lost their chance for succes. anyway im sure many ppl will play here IF the server will start even with delay, but they will loose more and more players as time will past.

all of this is bullshit, look at knight imperia, they got a private company to do the ko panel lOL! ? they work with 200 players a day and nothing happenes, simply buy one private Ko panel and make it work, with u security thats all

Sir DooM* Senior Member DoomBringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Petrop View Post
    all of this is bullshit, look at knight imperia, they got a private company to do the ko panel lOL! ? they work with 200 players a day and nothing happenes, simply buy one private Ko panel and make it work, with u security thats all
    But Knight Imperia is shit also xD!

Proud Retired KO-Maniac Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBringer View Post
    But Knight Imperia is shit also xD!
    +1 lol.

(message too short)

knight imperia rly is crap lol.. the gms are weak :x

ChrisfeatRabi

why does it matter if the gm´s there are shit?

has nothing todo with the security, gays.

Banned

by playing knight imperia and watching all the noobs lvl 70s with their shells and raptors losing to lvl 6X with chitins and glave, it gave me more motivation to play ko4life server

but KI is pretty fun server.. ya the upgrade rate to +7 isn't really 25% and it suck.. but its still fun..

Legendary Mage Senior Member tHeUnBeAtAbLe's Avatar

This coming from the guy that voted against the KO public panel. I'm with Meep on this I will 100% disagree on this as it's just a biased explanation. I can only honestly think of like 5 cons while thinking of at least 10 good pros. It's been over 3 months and the server hasn't been hacked in any sort of way, so why not have an option of using auto registration?

"It's been over 3 months and the server hasn't been hacked in any sort of way,"

u really think any1 would be stupid enough to spend time hacking a beta?:P

I love all the people that know jack shit about coding, kopanel , ko query, and the ebenezer are posting that he is wrong.

Legendary Mage Senior Member tHeUnBeAtAbLe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doob View Post
    "It's been over 3 months and the server hasn't been hacked in any sort of way,"

u really think any1 would be stupid enough to spend time hacking a beta?:P
    From what I remember the Turks have threatened to do so once the server was opened right away due to the "racist" act towards them. So yes I do believe so.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast