Looking at the KO Panel Poll thread I've realized you guys have no clue on what the actual risks are for using a public panel. So I am going to list them just in case you decide on doing it, you have a clear and precise page that you can look at and see if the pros out weigh the cons.
- A Panel that users can use to register/view user rankings and etc.
- Open the server a lot quicker than you would with out/with a secured panel.
- An easily hackable web server.
- Risking your server files & database.
- Risk compromising your database. Some people like to add special monsters that drop a wide range of uniques. So in case the web server goes down, they still have a quick way of getting items/money.
- Risking user information that could contain USKO/KO4Life accounts.
- Risking your reputation as a server.
- Risking your dedicated server & having to pay more money for a reformat.
- Risking your server files & database going public and losing all your players to standard KO servers with your files.
- Risking personal information. All dedicated server companies keep records of your name, address, phone and other valuable personal information.
- Risking your player base. Some players will not play knowing you sacrificed your integrity & put them in harms way of malicious attacks just to get your server released. Remember, KO Databases keep logs of users IP's.
So let me ask you, do the pros out weigh the cons?
This post is more for the community than it is the developers.