• KE - Knight Empire

81 57.04%
  • ROFD - Reign Of The Fire Drake

29 20.42%
  • Other - Please post you description of this

5 3.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Vote - What version of KO do you want#?

This is a discussion on Vote - What version of KO do you want#? within the KO4life Private Server Area forums, part of the Private Servers category; There are certain people that are making their own server files Regards tabbycat...
Page: 3

There are certain people that are making their own server files

Regards tabbycat

Black Irish Senior Member sir_locksley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ghagar18 View Post
    As a several years experienced (and well known) private server developer. Anything ROFD and beyond on our files is incompatible. Could you build a server that closely resembles ROFD? Yes. But theres alot of stuff our server files cant handle. Mainly skills and items. Does ROFD skills work on 1298 and 1310 files? Yes they do but only to a certain extent. Our magic tables dont support certain magic types. The same goes for newer items. Rumor has it even DOT damage is not possible on ROF's etc as again thier not supported by our files. As soon as my main account gets activated on these forums (new registration) I might post more and maybe apply for part of the team.
    ROF's dont have DOT damage ._. They have elemental damage tho...

Quote Originally Posted by sir_locksley View Post
    ROF's dont have DOT damage ._. They have elemental damage tho...
    I think he means making the damage bonus count towards dots?

Quote Originally Posted by SlmShady View Post
    counts towards immediate damage as well tho D:

P.S.Felix I love how you called it Raine of the Fire Drake. I believe Raine was a well known priest from ares, I think the word you were searching for was Reign D: Dunno. Maybe I'm wrong
    Last edited by sir_locksley; 12-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.

I love how i didn't make this topic felix did xD

To punish and enslave Senior Member Magyk's Avatar

Actually, the real name of this expansion originally was "Ice Age". K2 changed it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Magyk View Post
    Actually, the real name of this expansion originally was "Ice Age". K2 changed it for some reason.
    they change the names for each expansion. It's like how in MYKO KE was called Knight Ascension. Its not a direct translation from korean.

And oops sorry TabbyCat, not paying attention forgot which thread this was on ^^

ghagar18

Quote Originally Posted by SlmShady View Post
    Yes, this is true.

P.S. You refer to writing server files from scratch without any source? GL there... Many have tried making simple emulators and stoped because its a long project.

-Warmonger
    Last edited by ghagar18; 12-11-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Yup i understand kanka, not sure if they're from scratch or not, ill keep your noob ass up to date with the progress lol <3

Regards tabbycat

ghagar18

Quote Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
    Yup i understand kanka, not sure if they're from scratch or not, ill keep your noob ass up to date with the progress lol <3

Regards tabbycat
    I plan on applying for team status so ill probably be working with you gays

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

counts towards immediate damage as well tho D:

P.S.Felix I love how you called it Raine of the Fire Drake. I believe Raine was a well known priest from ares, I think the word you were searching for was Reign D: Dunno. Maybe I'm wrong

Whoops cheer mate changing it now.

I think you should start it off KE no doubt there and after X amount of months, expand based on the opinion of the players
    Reasons:
    -Simple and fun for players who never got a chance to play and a sense of oldschoolness for the people that have been there before.
    -Very balanced gameplay. You didn't have to be lvl 70 to pwn or have shards/raptors +8. level 50- 60s along with fps, chitins and middle class weapons would suffice. God I miss those times. Even bullshit uniques likes ruby rings, green drag amulet, etc would be considered orgasmic. In the higher expansion comes more items, skill trees and uniques that make players alot more powerful.
    -Not many complications with dupes and tbl hacks and other bullshit like that(from what i've experienced).
    -great for player communication because you simply could not be of much success in KE unless you were a part of a clan that exps, pk, and farm together. In KE, if you were a part of a clan, you would have loads of fun doing the most boring of takes(exping at apos is alot more fun and seems less of a grind when you got players over on vent talking about random and weird shit).

Just my 2 cents..

To punish and enslave Senior Member Magyk's Avatar

they change the names for each expansion. It's like how in MYKO KE was called Knight Ascension. Its not a direct translation from korean.

And oops sorry TabbyCat, not paying attention forgot which thread this was on ^^
    In japko it was smth like knights reborn.

Well we don't need anyone to make server files for this server warmonger As for the making i was talking bout, its sexy whos doing his own.

Regards tabbycat

Quote Originally Posted by ghagar18 View Post
    Yes, this is true.

P.S. You refer to writing server files from scratch without any source? GL there... Many have tried making simple emulators and stoped because its a long project.

-Warmonger
    It isn't all that hard you know; just because it isn't spelled out to you letter by letter, doesn't mean it's impossible (not that, of course, you said it was).

In comparison with other games, KO is a fairly short and sweet game - there's not all that much to it. We've got basic sessions, movement, stock-standard player interaction, a generic NPC/player attack system... we've got a simple war system (kill 3 warders then a keeper! Not all that more complicated than a quest; just shared between nations), we've got separated zones with warp gates to "link" them.... the majority of stuff is handled mostly in the client (which is, in a lot of cases, a BAD thing -- especially with the attack system handling speeds client-side, though the server was intended to support server-side checking I guess it was forgotten - the client doesn't)...

The magic/skills & items systems are just weird, to be honest... but overall, everything's fairly simplistic. On the note of "not having source", not too much has actually changed since the original source. It's child's play actually "spotting the differences". Mind you, I'll grant 1.7xx's login server gaining some extra encryption-related packets being a hassle, and if you're - like me - working on an emulator for a slightly older KO version (because I truly give up keeping up to date; I'm not extremely active on this project, so every time I come back to work on it for a while there's new changes -- NOT any more! :P) there's no other way than disassembling the client to find the odd changes here and there (ie: warp list packet... I'd say the user info packet too, but use a tiny bit of logic and you've figured out the update).

Anyway, really, I don't see any need for you to put any more doubt onto the idea than already exists. It *ISN'T* hard. You could do it in BASIC if you really desired (though I really do not recommend it for a "production" server - testing/playing around sure, go for it if you absolutely desire :P). I first played around with it in PHP (though I always knew it was a bad idea to pursue that for long, it isn't the most ideal language to write any server in - being single-threaded is a very bad idea [and daemonizing is just hacky])... I had a login server up in about an hour, and was playing around with the various packets the client sends as it loads up the game for a few hours following that. The PHP version being KO version 1.47(4? Can't remember).

So... if anybody's interested in actually trying it, do NOT be discouraged. It really is quite fun. If you're going to put a bit of effort into it, to make it the best it can possibly be (at least, as you can envisage it), then sure - it will take a while. Me, personally, think that it will be worth it. I'm not going to be running a server any time soon (meaning, not at all - *ever*.. I'm done with that :P), but learning how it all works...

Even if you don't finish it, you'll slowly get an idea of how a server should operate (by no means make mgame your example... very high quality server there *sarcasm*), and even get to understand the existing server files a little better (perhaps even leading to a better understanding of existing problems plaguing them).

Sure, it's not going to get you a job at mgame (... who in their right mind would want to work there anyway?!), and sure.. it's just a game, but you'll find that both efficient server programming, and being able to reverse engineer software (there are many situations where this can be used legally - on your own software for one) are both very valuable skills to a programmer in the IT industry.

Now... to be more on-topic:
    Which version would I prefer? The latest of course. Older versions are only made glorious by those with memories of them before the cheating became an extreme issue. I'm not familiar with the new items and their stats, but I can't imagine it'd outbalance the game too much (if at all) if cheating was never an issue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast