Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Diablo III

This is a discussion on Diablo III within the Diablo forums, part of the PC Gaming category; I've recently been contemplating playing this although I've never played any of the Diablo series. Out of curiosity, can someone, ...
Page: 1

Default Diablo III

I've recently been contemplating playing this although I've never played any of the Diablo series. Out of curiosity, can someone, in their own words, sum up the game for me? I realize I can easily Google it (and I have) but I value the opinion of people on this forum as well.

• How large of a user base is expected out of D3?
    • Is this a game similar to KO in the sense that you're in party play?
    • I will not be playing for the launch, will this put me to far behind?
    • Are there any widely known downfalls to the Diablo series?
    • Lastly, is it worth my money (in your opinion) or will it quickly bore me?

I greatly appreciate any responses to this, thus far I'd been trying to avoid it but with all the hype, It'd almost be ignorant to not look into it for myself.
    Last edited by Legend; 05-14-2012 at 01:50 AM.

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

How large of a user base? Take WoW in it's prime, and probably double that.

Not really, you can party, and it's likely you'll HAVE to in order to get through the harder content, but Diablo games have always had an element of being able to solo too. Always more fun to play with others though.

Not really, I mean you'll be behind but Diablo games aren't like traditional MMO's where you pick a character and just build on it forever. People continually make new characters and there's even a "hardcore" mode where if you die you can never play your character again and have to start from scratch. The game is pretty fair to newer and older players.

Diablo 2 was infested with bots and maphacks, but that's because Blizz didn't really care about it after a while. With an in-game USD auction house, I can see them being a LOT more strict on anything that might give an advantage to people wanting to abuse the game for monetary gain.

Hard to say really, every person is different. I haven't met anyone ever who didn't like Diablo 2, I don't see Diablo 3 being any different.

Before I got into MMORPGs and KO, I was a Diablo hardcore fan. Freaky actually cause I spend and obscene amount of hours playing it and didnt even go out for months. Dark ages ... really.

First things first. If you plan to play Diablo III and don't wanna play Diablo I and II, check the Deckard Cain's Journal which pretty much covers the story of Diablo I and II in 45 minutes:

Won't be the same as playing the game, but at least you will understand the basics of the story which is very important in this game. Cain is a very important character in the game and follows the hero through all the game, giving advice. He is back in Diablo III and helps once again the new heroes fight the evil forces from hell.

Now to your questions. Playerbase is huge, but keep in mind this is no MMORPG. U won't see towns full of ppl doing "stuff". Imagine Diablo as a single player game with the option to play multiplayer with 3 friends. That's about it. There's matchmaking so you can join other ppl that are around your level or doing the same quests you need, but you will always have 4 players max in a game. There can be infinite games at the same time.

Why is it so popular then if its not massive like a MMORPG? Content. The game is incredibly rich in content, nothing even close to any other game you've seen. The story is amazing, quests are fun, maps change randomly, all sorts of creeps, weapons, nps, items, etc. There are several novels about the story alone. Leveling is not like KO were u you have to grind the same creep for months til you reach max level. Instead you follow the quests and the story. Sure, you can always grind certain creeps, but unlike KO, creeps dont respawn, you just clear the map and start a new game.

Once you finish the game or a certain Act, you can always go back to farm specific creeps or bosses for items. Diablo is a farmfest. The game turns pretty much into a treasure hunt where there's infinite combinations of items. They have added and ingame action house so there's no need to 3rd party pages to sell your stuff. U can get ingame coins or real money, all supported native.

You can play solo and there's no need to start at launch since it's not MMORPG, but there's always ppl who will rush to be at the top of the ladder. Once you finish the game in all difficulties, you will feel the need to either keep leveling to reach the max or try a new class since you got so many items for other classes or just out of curiosity. Following the story and quests is so fun, you enjoy them doing them many times. Cinematics are mind blowing and the best I've ever seen.

I do believe is worth every cent, but that's me. Downfall? It can be VERY addictive

Quote Originally Posted by xLegendZ View Post
    I've recently been contemplating playing this although I've never played any of the Diablo series. Out of curiosity, can someone, in their own words, sum up the game for me? I realize I can easily Google it (and I have) but I value the opinion of people on this forum as well.

• How large of a user base is expected out of D3? - more than any other MMORPG
    • Is this a game similar to KO in the sense that you're in party play? well in diablo 3 PvE is more about party (much more fun from it) but the PvP will be solo probably
    • I will not be playing for the launch, will this put me to far behind? - not much - 60 lvl will be max anyway, blizzard wanted to change brainless style of hitting lvl`s
    • Are there any widely known downfalls to the Diablo series? - well there was one downfall of diablo 1 and 2 - poor PvP but in diablo 3 they want to change it (but at day luch there wont be any PvP yet ).
    • Lastly, is it worth my money (in your opinion) or will it quickly bore me? - compare to any other on line game its not expensive

I greatly appreciate any responses to this, thus far I'd been trying to avoid it but with all the hype, It'd almost be ignorant to not look into it for myself.

tryed to help some ^^

MadMan Senior Member SacredHealDane's Avatar

• How large of a user base is expected out of D3?
    • Is this a game similar to KO in the sense that you're in party play?
    • I will not be playing for the launch, will this put me to far behind?
    • Are there any widely known downfalls to the Diablo series?
    • Lastly, is it worth my money (in your opinion) or will it quickly bore me?

:O
    ur name is yellow O_o
    Anyways wont be exepnding on the game how is it and everything cause its kinda hard with words.
    Chad u should come with us and play , i even putted a stream so those u cant realy get that in the same day can atleast see some .
    Its realy easy to catch up in this game , since there will probably be the same system as in diablo 2 that u can Rush someone, which means complete the "Acts" real fast and go from normal to nightmare to hell in couple of hours i suppouse.
    And that game will have probably the most population in the history of mmo's.
    This game was worked on 11.5years man u know what this is ? no game have been worked for 11.5 freaking years .

Hope u'll come ,i'll be alot on this forum just talking sometimes and if u gonna play the game pm me lemme know , i will help u in any way possible.
    Also Kallop is coming aswell but on a delay cause he needs to go buy that game , and idk whats realy the prob , but hes gonna play on the 17/18th may.

WoW userbase x2? Wow! That's going to be insane.. well you all have convinced me. I think I'll start out with solo for a few days and get a hang of everything. I'll be heading down to Game-Stop today to buy the game.

Aside from that actual game itself, is there anything in particular I should buy that would be helpful/assist me in game play? I am extremely eager to play now. Also, from what little I've read, I think I want to be a "With Doctor", can someone summarize this class for me?

Few last questions;

• What character will you all be playing AND why?
    • What is the primary objective in multi-player (would this become the PvP aspect?)
    • This is a one time buy game right, not a monthly subscription?
    • Recommend computer specs to play smoothly?
    • Estimated time to reach max level?

Banned Regular Member

WoW userbase x2? Wow! That's going to be insane.. well you all have convinced me. I think I'll start out with solo for a few days and get a hang of everything. I'll be heading down to Game-Stop today to buy the game.

Aside from that actual game itself, is there anything in particular I should buy that would be helpful/assist me in game play? I am extremely eager to play now. Also, from what little I've read, I think I want to be a "With Doctor", can someone summarize this class for me?

Few last questions;

• What character will you all be playing AND why? Demon Hunter, i feel its closest to an archer like ko
    • What is the primary objective in multi-player (would this become the PvP aspect?) Its pretty much farm until you cant farm anymore, the pvp side will be implemented a little later.
    • This is a one time buy game right, not a monthly subscription? no monthly subscription
    • Recommend computer specs to play smoothly? Check the supported hardware on google or somthing its easy to find
    • Estimated time to reach max level? no body knows as its not a korean game made into english, its a new game all together x
    Answered as much as possible

You dont need anything else besides the game and decent hardware. Diablo 3 requires more video than CPU, so if you have a decent video card, you should be fine. Tom's Hardware made a good analysis about hardware requirements for the game here:

Diablo III Performance, Benchmarked : After A 10-Year Hiatus, The Prince Of Darkness Is Back

As for classes, you should check Battle.net for the differences between classes:

Diablo III

Luckily, Blizzard made great videos about each class. Here's the Witch Doctor:

I'll pick this cause it looks like one of the safest classes for farming. My idea is to start first a farm character so I can get rich fast and then build my other characters. Since it has minions, they can tank for you will you spam attacks from distance. Wizard is another option as well since it has nice AoE spells too. It's a matter of personal choice and strategy. At the end, i will play all classes anyway but rather have gold first to fully deck them. I have no idea how efficient the Witch Doctor will be at higher difficulty levels and nobody really knows yet since the game is new and we don't really know how hard the game will be.

Multiplayer is all about PvE right now. Just go in with your friends, clear all maps, finish all quests, follow the story and have fun. PvP is not yet available but will be soon. There will be arena maps for that and I'm pretty sure we will see tournaments for this game too. Basically, cooperative gameplay right now to hunt bosses and finish the game.

1 time buy only. No monthly membership or anything. There are no estimates for max level yet.

I have bought and installed the game and i am sure it will be' great, however for those expecting something similar to the KO unique way of socializing and pking, this game appears to be' far away from it..

Diablo is a limited online co-op game. up to 4 players Can make a party
    when u play there is no possibility to meet other online players (ie no pvp) aside from the 3 ppl partying with u
    There is no common zones, ie no morandon where u Can show others how Leet u r
    Pvp is not existing today, from what I saw it will be a 2 vs 2 arena, when eventually it will be' implemented

Few last questions;

• What is the primary objective in multi-player (would this become the PvP aspect?)
    You won't have to be solo for too long. Ppl like me and Dane are going to play fosho! :P I'll be going to get D3 this friday unless it'll be all sold-out.

Does anyone have a guess pass ? I can give you one back tomorrow cause i'll get the game So if anyone got guest pass for spare pm me thanks

Few last questions;

I'll be playing Monk, it's highly mobile and pretty tanky character. It also has a high element of supporting those around him. I think Monk will likely be one of the classes capable of going into Inferno(after Hell) difficulty the quickest and being the most useful in Inferno due to his auras and abilities. I was going to try starting Witch Doctor, but I think Witch will be the same as summoner necro in D2, where it could be quite strong it was too reliant on it's summons which usually got 1 shot by bosses later on in the game leaving you vulnerable to the boss. Still a very strong character if paired with someone to tank out the damage so summons could go to town, it dropped off a ton if no one else was around and the boss was allowed to just dash you after the summons were dead.

People have different objectives just like any game. I see some rushing to get to Inferno difficulty for the end game challenges, which is said to provide a challenge no matter what and offer special rewards. Others will try to farm and grind their characters to a point they can make new characters easier after they have a clue more to what they want. Others will be farming and grinding in preparation for PVP. Some will just want to play for the story and fun of the quests. Personally, I'll be doing the first option of trying to get to Inferno difficulty with a mix of farming as well, although even in D2 I never had good luck with drops. xD

Estimated time to reach max level(60) is said to be around the time you complete Hell. So it's really up to you. :P Probably take a short while though. I don't expect people to be 60 after a day.

Not sure how they will make Witch Doctor, but it's even close to what Necro Summoner was, it will rock. Summoner with maxed skely masteries was the easiest and safest class to beat the whole game, even hell, with close to no items. No uber items needed. And no, summons didn't die in 1 hit with the right build. Not sure if the build was popular or not, but you could kill any boss easy without loosing many creeps. Decrify + Clay Golem and Hell Baal, or any difficult boss was so stupidly easy you could kill it just spamming 1 skill every 10 secs and relaxing.

No other class could rape through Hell without uber items but the Summoner. I played Diablo 2 again around November last year, just for fun and tried this Necro build. Not even my Sorceress was as easy to rape through maps like the Summoner was. Check this summoner video:

Sure, its a fully decked Necro with Enigma for Necro and Inifnity Merc, but the concept is exactly the same. Good damange on the Merc and all the Summons with highest HP, resisntance, possible. Decripify + Clay Golem will make any boss attack 1 hit every 10 secs :P The build itself relies on getting the Merc in good level, good items and just maxing skills for Summons and synergies. Necro itself doesnt need much items.

Anyway, back to D3, hopefully there will be interesting runestones for the Witch Doctor. Not sure how Inferno will be, but from D2, melee always had a horrible time in Hell D2 and required a lot of work to go through even initial acts.

This is why D3 will be awesome, so many options.

I'm not fully convinced with Runestones and no stats, but we'll see. I enjoyed being able to set my stats, skill points and all that shit, but I realize that made the game a lot more difficult for newcomers. Hopefully, the game will be better this way, but I have yet to see it work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast