Mage Skills

This is a discussion on Mage Skills within the Diablo forums, part of the PC Gaming category; so guys wat skills do use for ur mage? primary, secondary, defensive, etc....
Page: 1

Default Mage Skills

so guys wat skills do use for ur mage?

primary, secondary, defensive, etc.

pretty depends what are you exactly doing and about your gear...
    but there are some of my builds:
    Wizard - Game Guide - Diablo III
    always with Enchantress or DH/Barb/Monk

HumanStupidityIsInfinite Senior Member xtommyleongx's Avatar

I'm currently a melee wizard (tank) and here is the build which I'm current using (Critical Mass Build)... I'm currently only progressing through Inferno Act II (Yeah i know Im slow! Getting gear from endless farming on Act I is very tedious) With this current build, I am able to tank hordes of white mobs and also elite/champion packs with very minimal kitting (except those with really crazy affixes)

Active Skills
    Left Click - Spectral Blade (Deep Cut)
    Right Click - Energy Twister (Wicked Wind)
    1 - Energy Armor (Prismatic Armor)
    2 - Diamond Skin (Crystal Shell)
    3 - Explosive Blast (Chain Reaction)
    4 - Frost Nova (Cold Snap)

Passive Skills
    Critical Mass
    Blur
    Galvanizing Ward (sometimes swapping to Astral Presence)

With the current gear (Act II gears) that Im using, below are my stats
    HP - 23k
    DPS - 16k
    Armor - 7.6k (with Energy Armor)
    Resist - 750 to 850 (with Energy Armor)
    Critical Chance - 19.5%
    Critical Damage - 145%
    Attack speed - 1.90
    Life per sec - 700+
    Life per hit - 300+
    Magic Find Base - 95% (Act I gears give me a base of 150%)

GamePlay
    Very much depending on which type of elite/champ packs that i'm up against with but for easy/moderate elite/champ packs...with this build, my skill cooldowns are almost spammable (unless you can't get those critical hits which sometimes happens and that is when you will need to kite) With each critical hit, my cooldown for skills are reduced by 1 sec thanks to Critical Mass and spectral blade isn't solo target. Below are steps which I usually do most the times (well again depending on which type of elite/champ packs as there is no specific 1 build which can do all)

step 1 - throw 1 or 2 twisters preferable on top of mobs (to get dot+critical hits)
    step 2 - frost nova + explosive blast
    step 3 - spectral blade (need to get your critical chance % high for more critical hits)
    step 4 - continue with twisters (for dot+critical hits)
    step 5 - If so happens you don't get enough critical hits to have your frost nova available when frost is over, use your diamond skin
    step 6 - spectral blade
    step 7 - repeat steps 1 to 6

sometimes your diamond skin cool down resets faster than your frost nova, so you might wanna pull up another diamond skin whenever your current diamond skin wears off for you to continue tanking and getting more critical hits... if all your tanking skills are still waiting for cool down... kite away and throw twisters as you run (possible to get dots + critical hit to reset your cool down)

If anyone have any better ideas to improve my current built/tactics... please feel free to share... I've tried multiple combinations of skills and found this most suitable for my style... guess its all about personal preferences...