Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monks, Report in!

This is a discussion on Monks, Report in! within the Diablo forums, part of the PC Gaming category; How are you using your monk? 1h 1 shield, 2 1h's, 2h? what skills and runes? share thoughts, tactics and ...
Page: 1

Default Monks, Report in!

How are you using your monk? 1h 1 shield, 2 1h's, 2h? what skills and runes? share thoughts, tactics and opinions

I used to use 1h 1shield but found a ridiculously strong 2h staff for my lvl.

as for skills, i tend to use defensive skills in order to bring down dmg with my primary attack.

1. Immunity for 3 seconds
    2. healing / light dmg
    3. pulling skill
    4. healing & healing+ mantra
    5. somr primary
    6. blinding

edit:

Last edited by aligator; 05-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.

wtf is juice? Senior Member trytankme's Avatar

not to sure about monk but 2 of my friends play monk and they both use dagger and shield, might be really strong but will be good for inferno and whatnot once you get there ^^

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

Advice for monk, stop playing now while you aren't even 60 yet. They nerfed everything that made monk even remotely viable in Inferno to the point the only option for Monk now is balls to the wall DPS, if you don't kill the mob by the time your invulnerability ends, you die, the mob resets, and you have to try again. Basically, they made Monk pointless to play.

Reroll WD, Wizard, or DH.

I'll try to find a way round that. Just one nerf cannot seperate me from Professor Badass. But it's really gotten it harder. hide behind the barbie <3

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aligator View Post
    I'll try to find a way round that. Just one nerf cannot seperate me from Professor Badass. But it's really gotten it harder. hide behind the barbie <3
    Well, GL. :P Even the best Monks I think are still stuck in Act 2, I think Koreans had just started act 3 before the nerf but can't do it anymore? Every other class has cleared Inferno.

MadMan Senior Member SacredHealDane's Avatar

Aligator , u playing europe?

BANNED FOR SCAMMING! Senior Member

Edit-
    Not to worry, found out
    Last edited by Prophet; 05-26-2012 at 01:47 AM.

HumanStupidityIsInfinite Senior Member xtommyleongx's Avatar

Level 49 monk - i'll try to upload a screen shot later...

i'd still prefer 1hd wep + shield over 2hd wep coz of the attacks per second... the faster you hit... the more spirit regen...
    if you get a decent 1hd wep + socketed shield with dex (add another dex gem)... you can get decent ap and better def imo

here are my skill setup

left click - Way of the hundred fists (fist of fury)
    right click - Blinding Flash (blinding echo)
    1 - Serenity (peaceful repose)
    2 - Breath of Heaven (circle of life)
    3 - Sweeping Wind (fire storm)
    4 - Mantra of Healing (boon of protection)

whenever before i tank.. i throw on my mantra and start attacking... i try to spam my mantra whenever possible.. then continue with breath of heaven and sweeping wind... use serenity and hp pot whenever my hp drops below 50%... and when things get outta hand... i'll use blinding flash and try to get out from getting ganged...it works pretty good for me... run through NM from act 1 to act 2 and half of act 3 solo without a sweat...

u can try swapping primary to WotHF (fist of fury) or Fist of Thunder (thunder clap)... it is a really helpful skill coz it teleports u or dashes you (in my case) to your target...

If anyone else have better skill options and tactics...please share
    Last edited by xtommyleongx; 05-26-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Community Nazę Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtommyleongx View Post
    Level 49 monk - i'll try to upload a screen shot later...

i'd still prefer 1hd wep + shield over 2hd wep coz of the attacks per second... the faster you hit... the more spirit regen...
    if you get a decent 1hd wep + socketed shield with dex (add another dex gem)... you can get decent ap and better def imo

here are my skill setup

left click - Way of the hundred fists (fist of fury)
    right click - Blinding Flash (blinding echo)
    1 - Serenity (peaceful repose)
    2 - Breath of Heaven (circle of life)
    3 - Sweeping Wind (fire storm)
    4 - Mantra of Healing (boon of protection)

whenever before i tank.. i throw on my mantra and start attacking... i try to spam my mantra whenever possible.. then continue with breath of heaven and sweeping wind... use serenity and hp pot whenever my hp drops below 50%... and when things get outta hand... i'll use blinding flash and try to get out from getting ganged...it works pretty good for me... run through NM from act 1 to act 2 and half of act 3 solo without a sweat...

u can try swapping primary to WotHF (fist of fury) or Fist of Thunder (thunder clap)... it is a really helpful skill coz it teleports u or dashes you (in my case) to your target...

If anyone else have better skill options and tactics...please share
    Right, first things first... Attacks speed is determined by the weapon itself, not whether it's 1h or 2h. Generally 1h + shield is better option to go for for the additional stats and defenses you can gain but on the sole reason that it supposedly attacks faster? that's bull.

Fists of Fury is decent, definitely among the top dps for monk, though not necessarily the wisest choice in inferno. You'll want as much CC as you can possibly get.
    Blinding Flash by far one of the best CC's you have, unfortunately you use it entirely wrong. The idea is having serenity up and Blind gives you a total of free... 7 to 8 seconds of attacking without getting any damage whatsoever, abuse that. (Possibly up to 10-12 if you have a decently specced enchantress/templar that cc's like crazy)
    Breath of Heaven is a requirement to say the least, this early in the game though I'd recommend getting the Attack Damage increasing one, once 60 and inferno you'll definitely want the Fear on it, again.. Inferno is all about keeping your mobs CC'd, as long as they can't hit you - you WILL survive.
    Sweeping Wind, while it's really good dps, fire storm is the worst choice right there. You'll want inner storm for the free spirit regen or possibly even increased range, once 60 and lacking DPS you'll want cyclone (though keep in mind that'll require managing your spirit as opposed to just mindlessly spamming it)
    Mantra of Healing with boon of protection, sadly, is getting nerfed/got nerfed so there wont really any further use to it anymore at all, the shield it gives is barely even worth it at this point. I'd recommend getting perhaps a wind ally (lots of aoe dps, tanking potential, you name it) or the one mantra thingy for the additional dps or even just the evasion one. Your call really, experiment with it, use something you wont have to spam/waste spirit on every few seconds and you'll be good to go.

As for fighting as a monk, you'll really just want to dodge. And dodge a shitton, all the massive skill shots mobs/elite packs have, dodge. You can't tank for shit and you'll never really be able to unless you sacrifice 10k dps or more which wont help you a tiny bit because you wont be able to kill anything before it enrages. Just.. pop ally/mantra (whichever you use) and sweeping wind, jump in... you start taking damage/getting hit by too much for you to mitigate? Pop blind... keep hitting, soon as blind runs out pop serenity and keep hitting at which point you should be back to full hp already (given you have life leech on wep or any other sort of hp regen), don't even bother potting, if your stuff isn't dead by then just keep running around hitting whenever you can without getting nuked down, dodge all you can and don't get face wrecked, soon as your serenity or blind's back up jump straight back in... Rinse and repeat 3-4 times and anything that isn't an elite pack should have already died by then.

Quote Originally Posted by schrotti View Post
    Right, first things first... Attacks speed is determined by the weapon itself, not whether it's 1h or 2h. Generally 1h + shield is better option to go for for the additional stats and defenses you can gain but on the sole reason that it supposedly attacks faster? that's bull.

Fists of Fury is decent, definitely among the top dps for monk, though not necessarily the wisest choice in inferno. You'll want as much CC as you can possibly get.
    Blinding Flash by far one of the best CC's you have, unfortunately you use it entirely wrong. The idea is having serenity up and Blind gives you a total of free... 7 to 8 seconds of attacking without getting any damage whatsoever, abuse that. (Possibly up to 10-12 if you have a decently specced enchantress/templar that cc's like crazy)
    Breath of Heaven is a requirement to say the least, this early in the game though I'd recommend getting the Attack Damage increasing one, once 60 and inferno you'll definitely want the Fear on it, again.. Inferno is all about keeping your mobs CC'd, as long as they can't hit you - you WILL survive.
    Sweeping Wind, while it's really good dps, fire storm is the worst choice right there. You'll want inner storm for the free spirit regen or possibly even increased range, once 60 and lacking DPS you'll want cyclone (though keep in mind that'll require managing your spirit as opposed to just mindlessly spamming it)
    Mantra of Healing with boon of protection, sadly, is getting nerfed/got nerfed so there wont really any further use to it anymore at all, the shield it gives is barely even worth it at this point. I'd recommend getting perhaps a wind ally (lots of aoe dps, tanking potential, you name it) or the one mantra thingy for the additional dps or even just the evasion one. Your call really, experiment with it, use something you wont have to spam/waste spirit on every few seconds and you'll be good to go.

As for fighting as a monk, you'll really just want to dodge. And dodge a shitton, all the massive skill shots mobs/elite packs have, dodge. You can't tank for shit and you'll never really be able to unless you sacrifice 10k dps or more which wont help you a tiny bit because you wont be able to kill anything before it enrages. Just.. pop ally/mantra (whichever you use) and sweeping wind, jump in... you start taking damage/getting hit by too much for you to mitigate? Pop blind... keep hitting, soon as blind runs out pop serenity and keep hitting at which point you should be back to full hp already (given you have life leech on wep or any other sort of hp regen), don't even bother potting, if your stuff isn't dead by then just keep running around hitting whenever you can without getting nuked down, dodge all you can and don't get face wrecked, soon as your serenity or blind's back up jump straight back in... Rinse and repeat 3-4 times and anything that isn't an elite pack should have already died by then.
    Thanks Schrotti...i'll keep those in mind... since i just started Hell mode Act I... dont really know the extent of how strong those mobs are... thanks for advice!!

and as for the speed of attacks depends on the attack per second which is from the weapon itself.. and generally from what i've came across... 1hd fist weapons have higher APS compared to 2hd daibos... (not sure bout other 2hd weapons)... correct me if im wrong...

cheers
    Last edited by xtommyleongx; 05-27-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Community Nazę Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtommyleongx View Post
    Thanks Schrotti...i'll keep those in mind... since i just started Hell mode Act I... dont really know the extent of how strong those mobs are... thanks for advice!!

and as for the speed of attacks depends on the attack per second which is from the weapon itself.. and generally from what i've came across... 1hd fist weapons have higher APS compared to 2hd daibos... (not sure bout other 2hd weapons)... correct me if im wrong...

cheers
    May be the case with the Daibos, not sure, you'll need someone else to confirm but I'm currently wielding a 2H sword on my wizard with 1.6APS and 18% ATS in the 950+ dps range, as opposed to most 1 handers with 1.04-1.2 in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by schrotti View Post
    Right, first things first... Attacks speed is determined by the weapon itself, not whether it's 1h or 2h
    Atleast 1-handed crossbows are faster than 2-handed. Since I play DH I wouldn't know about other weapon types.

Edit: Now I'm certain that attack speed changes with different weapon types. Bows are 2 handed but shoot just as fast as 1-handed crossbows. 2-handed crossbows shoot slow as hell which also makes them dumb to use.
    Last edited by Kallop; 05-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.

how does 1 increases dodge rate (%)... stack dex stats and (Active/Passive) dodge skills?

MadMan Senior Member SacredHealDane's Avatar

Well all im doing in inferno is :

1)Serentiy + rune of heal
    2)Breath of heaven + more healing run
    3)Monk + Vitality rune
    4)Dodge mantra + more armor defense
    Left click Fist of thunder + thunderclap rune
    Right click is 7 hit skill +holy dmg rune.

This is a build for inferno and tank.

DAFAQ Senior Member

This is my build Monk - Game Guide - Diablo III

Now I only need to gear up for act2 inferno -.-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast