mage & shields

This is a discussion on mage & shields within the Class Questions and Tips forums, part of the Game Questions & Tips category; I got a lvl 65 ice mage, fairly good gear. Im a weapon def whore and like to tank. Im ...
Page: 1

Alibaba85

I got a lvl 65 ice mage, fairly good gear. Im a weapon def whore and like to tank. Im thinking of going full tank and less aggressive attacking mage xD Currently im 160int , 51 str , 171mp and base hp. Was thinking of going HP or Shield build.

I just want to know how many people actually like the shield build. For gear im full ice/lite usuing duel shio's +1, oasis +7. skelly , dd+7 helm and mostly use +3rev crimson armor. At the moment fully buffed out....i am at 944 ac with 4005 hp. Ofc I use +7 weap def armors and talias......lots of them. I want something different.

Was thinking of going full 90 into STR and getting a Dread for more weap def. with that shield I think I would have about 1.3kac with a +6 or higher. I really like the spear def on it. Now what im wondering is ...... Is it worth the loss in base MP to carry a Dread. OR can a guy go buy one of those cheap 24 spear def small shields that requires like 71 strength or so to wield it.

Would you go all out for the dread shiled? (note - only 3 chitin shield total on my server and one is a +8 )

or would you go maybe 71 strenght or so, just enough to equip one of those cheap "rare" weapon def shields? With that build I could get a little more weap def and not lose as much base MP. I feel like I could do some decent damage still when switching to staff if attacked.....but it also opens the door for cheaper weap defenses.

If your gonna go for a shield, don't go 71 strength. Go the full distance take 91 str for the Dread, it pays off.

Secondly, if you are going shield mage, don't expect to be hitting other people for too much dmg. I've seen a couple people try to pull of that hybrid shield + oasis, or shield + Cursed Staff build. It just plain rapes you. You have a lot less stats because you put points into str. You have a lot less hp because your remaining points are into mp so you can do "damage", which will be horrible damage as it is. Unless you've got some godly gear, I wouldn't suggest trying to be an mp mage with a shield.

If you go shield, then play support mage.

Anal Rapist Senior Member

You gonna find boring only be a TP machine, trust me its not worth xD.. Just lvl to 70 and try to get the pole if u wanna tank. U gonna deal fairly dmg and be able to tank

+ if ur always wearing talias and def parts, its enough !!

Hope u make the good choice:P

Alibaba85

You gonna find boring only be a TP machine, trust me its not worth xD.. Just lvl to 70 and try to get the pole if u wanna tank. U gonna deal fairly dmg and be able to tank

+ if ur always wearing talias and def parts, its enough !!

Hope u make the good choice:P[/b]

ive been an attck mage so long, my clan has lost a few mages so I need to go full support and with the build I definitely had tank tp'r in mind.....only reason.

yea, im not expecting much damage....just enough to slow parties for my melees to be heros! I have a 72 mage as well but full out fire mage.... this 65 mage if full out RLB Mage.

answered my question thou..... I wondered if half way was even worth restatting .... from what it looks like only way to go is full out shield build.

ty guys!!

mage rulz....

im tank tp atm..

as for shield,i think its best to have one and also 112 intel for +7 glacier erenion. I assume ur RLB which i am aswel.
    get shield, dont use a hammer, and have a staff also. Dread is actually awesome. my ac, with very basic, if not noob items is around 1300 full scrolled. Get +8 shell > +8 chit < +8 crystal. Rol or Rom Iron set bla bla..

anyway yea its definately worth it if on your server u get those huge rushes of 100000 opposing nation where it seems 8 parties are travelling together :P

note: also depends how good your clan is and how got you are at support. Good mellee clan and good skills at mage then for sure get a shield. and max out hp =p

edit saw ur gear.. imo get EP ROM Skelly belt cleric ear and maybe get some crystal+8 > the +3 rev crimson. depends which is cheaper

edit saw ur gear.. imo get EP ROM Skelly belt cleric ear and maybe get some crystal+8 > the +3 rev crimson. depends which is cheaper[/b]
    ... crimsons are better + u can use chitin defences...

personaly, I don&#39;t like being a tp-machine.... u won&#39;t be able to do dmg if u pick a shield so u gotta decide...

I&#39;d choose being a hp mage...

but if u really want a shield, get a Gab&#39;s +7, not a DS :P

Alibaba85

im tank tp atm..

as for shield,i think its best to have one and also 112 intel for +7 glacier erenion. I assume ur RLB which i am aswel.
    get shield, dont use a hammer, and have a staff also. Dread is actually awesome. my ac, with very basic, if not noob items is around 1300 full scrolled. Get +8 shell > +8 chit < +8 crystal. Rol or Rom Iron set bla bla..

anyway yea its definately worth it if on your server u get those huge rushes of 100000 opposing nation where it seems 8 parties are travelling together :P

note: also depends how good your clan is and how got you are at support. Good mellee clan and good skills at mage then for sure get a shield. and max out hp =p

edit saw ur gear.. imo get EP ROM Skelly belt cleric ear and maybe get some crystal+8 > the +3 rev crimson. depends which is cheaper[/b]

my gear as it stands right now before I made the post :
    Oasis7
    duel Shio +1
    Agate +1 earring
    2 x Cleric earring
    EP
    Skelly
    Crimson +3rev set
    +7 spear/dd/ club crimson pieces....
    DoL +0
    DS +5
    SS +0
    crimson goblin set

just want a change... i got the clan and melees that afford me to do what I want. Ive always been a very aggressive killing mage and played full out support when it calls for it. Unduffed this mage is hard to kill unless you do it in an organized way. On Cwest Ive never been DS build mage and I think it sounds fun even tho it is boring....but Im orc so Im always outnumbered.. I think the fun is in watching people do no damage to me xD!!! gonna try it i think.....

ty.

... crimsons are better + u can use chitin defences...

personaly, I don&#39;t like being a tp-machine.... u won&#39;t be able to do dmg if u pick a shield so u gotta decide...

I&#39;d choose being a hp mage...

but if u really want a shield, get a Gab&#39;s +7, not a DS :P[/b]

If the duffers continue to multiply......i will definitiely go HP build. ^^

I cant wield that Gab&#39;s on my RLB mage right? I would have to get it for my 72 .......which i agree with ya and would buy one for sure if I was a shield mage on my big character.

mage ownz

I cant wield that Gab&#39;s on my RLB mage right? I would have to get it for my 72 .......which i agree with ya and would buy one for sure if I was a shield mage on my big character.[/b]
    yeh I&#39;ve noticed that when I turned my computer off xD :P

You know the humans dont hit for shit in RLB on C-West, we tank well enuf without a shield.... Get a DS and give it to one of our priests!

I think the extra dmg u could do without shield might benefit more than your survivability.

Also, get club talias... Only talia u need i think, all the hard hitting warriors and priests use hellbreakers or w/e. (At least in RLB they seem to). I use my club talias more than any other.

pthawaii

I played tank ice mage at lvl 80 for 3-4 months. Min MP and INT for GE8 and Crim 8 rest HP (although I used complete8 cause I was too cheap to buy a new armor set, but I believe Crim8 is preferred cause you can put more points into HP. I used GE 8. This build alone made me feel fairly invincible. You can staff people, and you have tons of AC and HP. All those points into HP adds up for undying. DS build is good too, but you have less HP and the big problem for me is, I couldn&#39;t staff people (72 skill). Yes, I know the idea is support mage, but when getting hit by 4-5 melee, its REALLY hard to cast aoe&#39;s and other skill. But 72 skill will allow you to slow melee that are canceling your casts and allow you to run away a bit to tp melee in, or cast aoe&#39;s.

If you typically play in big parties with good melee/priests (which it sounds like you do), it&#39;s a fun build. I don&#39;t tend to care about seeing my name in lights, so I was fine with it. Even then, it did get boring after 3-4 months. Never make a kill, never killed. It&#39;s like they say, being immortal sounds good, but if you were to actually be immortal, u&#39;d get bored with life. :P

But you can always reskill back lol That&#39;s the fun part.

Okay, recap:

My 1st choice is Min MP and INT for GE7/8 (Oasis 7 is fine), crim8 (ur crim 3rb is fine), rest HP. None to str or other stats
    Get undying set for access.
    Get tons of def armors (u have a nice start).
    Get ROL > shiro1

I like this more than ds build cause more HP, still can staff 72 skill. But DS build would be similar enough that I think the feel of playing the mage would be same enough.

PS Right now I&#39;m fire/ice but I&#39;m thinking of trying ice mage again mp build cause shiro&#39;s are cheap on my server and can get shiro+2 pretty cheap vs flame rings that are REALLY expensive.

Alibaba85

I played tank ice mage at lvl 80 for 3-4 months. Min MP and INT for GE8 and Crim 8 rest HP (although I used complete8 cause I was too cheap to buy a new armor set, but I believe Crim8 is preferred cause you can put more points into HP. I used GE 8. This build alone made me feel fairly invincible. You can staff people, and you have tons of AC and HP. All those points into HP adds up for undying. DS build is good too, but you have less HP and the big problem for me is, I couldn&#39;t staff people (72 skill). Yes, I know the idea is support mage, but when getting hit by 4-5 melee, its REALLY hard to cast aoe&#39;s and other skill. But 72 skill will allow you to slow melee that are canceling your casts and allow you to run away a bit to tp melee in, or cast aoe&#39;s.

If you typically play in big parties with good melee/priests (which it sounds like you do), it&#39;s a fun build. I don&#39;t tend to care about seeing my name in lights, so I was fine with it. Even then, it did get boring after 3-4 months. Never make a kill, never killed. It&#39;s like they say, being immortal sounds good, but if you were to actually be immortal, u&#39;d get bored with life. :P

But you can always reskill back lol That&#39;s the fun part.

Okay, recap:

My 1st choice is Min MP and INT for GE7/8 (Oasis 7 is fine), crim8 (ur crim 3rb is fine), rest HP. None to str or other stats
    Get undying set for access.
    Get tons of def armors (u have a nice start).
    Get ROL > shiro1

I like this more than ds build cause more HP, still can staff 72 skill. But DS build would be similar enough that I think the feel of playing the mage would be same enough.

PS Right now I&#39;m fire/ice but I&#39;m thinking of trying ice mage again mp build cause shiro&#39;s are cheap on my server and can get shiro+2 pretty cheap vs flame rings that are REALLY expensive.[/b]
    I could never buy a ROL and not spend that money on bifrost rings... will not be going to shield build now after Migit&#39;s post and the fact I got my Oasis +7 to go further on the anvil xD so now..... its just up the Shios +1 to +2.

if the duffers keep growing in numbers then it will be full HP build 114mp,160 int and rest into HP....at lvl 65 with at least full +7/12 hp armor you will get base HP of 1505..... with all the dagger/spear/club def.....i think that shouldhandle duff gangbangs alot better...considering after adding my uniques&#39;s bonueses to that 1505 hp..... should put me right at 2.5 - 2.7k base hp which is nice for that lvl. Would give me more HP than i have on my lvl 72 mage.

thibaultcam

I&#39;ve played DS build mage on akara not so long ago and surrounded with good players its rlly good and fun(to me anyways=)),
    Main reason why DS is one of the best builds for mage in RLB(!) is cuz their (spammable) dmg is rlly low compared to the hp/resistances of ur opponents(=> u dont have 72 staffskill or the 70 aoe skill). Go for it ull see it helps alot facing alot of enemies;D

to give u a clue bout exact stats with avarage items(crimson set, DS6, ROMs, CEs, EP, kekuri belt):
    flly scrolled + enchanted:
    -4,8k hp ( 2k buffsc)
    -1380ac ( 350ac+ enchant)
    -resists I cant remember I&#39;m srr -_-

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

ive made shield mage popular on practically every server ive played mage on lawl xD

ive said it once and ill say it 81732487209147214712341 times........an unkillable MAGE is what wins party vs party, not priests or melee....priests and melee can always be tp&#39;d back...mage cant

crimson>complete....crystal is a waste of time

rare wep def armor>upgrade wep def....unless u can get the new upgrade wep def to like +9 or +10 lol...but even then theres more pieces of rare like boots/gloves/helm of spear, as opposed to only boots or whatever of upgrade spear def

shield>staff
    -but own a staff so u can light blade priests if ur not diong anything else, preferably like a GE...but im old school so i dunno what staffs are around today...ge was the best for when i played though

ice/lightning>any other build

lvl 70 MINIMUM really...double ice nova is pretty much a must if u want to really help ur party

people say its boring but i think theyre full of shit...if u want ur name in the kill lists u should have played rogue or warrior....saying support mage is boring is like saying playing support priest is boring...its either u suck at playing support and arent playing ur class right, or ur lying

a support mage doesnt just wait til people are dead to tp them back, its constantly runnign around tping EVERYONE whether they in danger or not.....

how i played my support mage:

u tp priests near u, dont stay near the priests, that just makes a cluster fuck of melee and makes it harder for the priests....try to keep the priests(assuming u play with 2 or more in ur party) seperate as well, not near eachother...also keep the priests near the melee...cant be cancelling their heals either

at the same time its really YOUR job if ur a good support mage to keep the melee killing their mages/priests...run to their priests run to their mages and tp ur melee...tp rogues to the priests and warriors to the mages....rogues to cancel heals and warriors to do heavy constant damage

at the same time its ur job to harass the other party too...70 ice nova, 60 ice nova, bliz, single target ice spells on priests and mages......why PRIESTS too? 1) it slows them down making it easier for rogues to stay on top of them and cancel heals/kill them, 2) it adds a tiny bit(granted not much at all since ur wearing a shield) of damage, damage is damage, it helps, 3) it makes them waste time curing instead of healing

and last but not least...if for some FUCKED UP reason u dont have anything else to do and ur not being harassed by countless melees.....pull out ur staff and light blade the priests in the chance u can get a stun or two off

oh and during all of this at least i did(cuz i had every piece of rare wep def for every wep and slot available) i had my inventory window open and was CONSTANTLY switching pieces of armor around as warriors would switch weps or people would give up/come help try to kill me

im sorry but if thats "boring" then lol i dunno u must be retarded or some shit...i did more work as a support tank mage than i ever did as an offensive mage or as a rogue

u where a pain in the ass to kill a real pain in the ass

Banned

ive made shield mage popular on practically every server ive played mage on lawl xD

ive said it once and ill say it 81732487209147214712341 times........an unkillable MAGE is what wins party vs party, not priests or melee....priests and melee can always be tp&#39;d back...mage cant

crimson>complete....crystal is a waste of time

rare wep def armor>upgrade wep def....unless u can get the new upgrade wep def to like +9 or +10 lol...but even then theres more pieces of rare like boots/gloves/helm of spear, as opposed to only boots or whatever of upgrade spear def

shield>staff
    -but own a staff so u can light blade priests if ur not diong anything else, preferably like a GE...but im old school so i dunno what staffs are around today...ge was the best for when i played though

ice/lightning>any other build

lvl 70 MINIMUM really...double ice nova is pretty much a must if u want to really help ur party
    people say its boring but i think theyre full of shit...if u want ur name in the kill lists u should have played rogue or warrior....saying support mage is boring is like saying playing support priest is boring...its either u suck at playing support and arent playing ur class right, or ur lying

a support mage doesnt just wait til people are dead to tp them back, its constantly runnign around tping EVERYONE whether they in danger or not.....
    how i played my support mage:

u tp priests near u, dont stay near the priests, that just makes a cluster fuck of melee and makes it harder for the priests....try to keep the priests(assuming u play with 2 or more in ur party) seperate as well, not near eachother...also keep the priests near the melee...cant be cancelling their heals either

at the same time its really YOUR job if ur a good support mage to keep the melee killing their mages/priests...run to their priests run to their mages and tp ur melee...tp rogues to the priests and warriors to the mages....rogues to cancel heals and warriors to do heavy constant damage

at the same time its ur job to harass the other party too...70 ice nova, 60 ice nova, bliz, single target ice spells on priests and mages......why PRIESTS too? 1) it slows them down making it easier for rogues to stay on top of them and cancel heals/kill them, 2) it adds a tiny bit(granted not much at all since ur wearing a shield) of damage, damage is damage, it helps, 3) it makes them waste time curing instead of healing

and last but not least...if for some FUCKED UP reason u dont have anything else to do and ur not being harassed by countless melees.....pull out ur staff and light blade the priests in the chance u can get a stun or two off

oh and during all of this at least i did(cuz i had every piece of rare wep def for every wep and slot available) i had my inventory window open and was CONSTANTLY switching pieces of armor around as warriors would switch weps or people would give up/come help try to kill me

im sorry but if thats "boring" then lol i dunno u must be retarded or some shit...i did more work as a support tank mage than i ever did as an offensive mage or as a rogue[/b]

One thing to keep in mind is the server itself. I was a DS mage on C-west there and was nearly impossible to kill. I could out-pot a few warriors and even some rogues if they harrassed me too. The trouble is, after a while, they wont. That&#39;s the whole reason I quit.

The best build for Sheild mage on that server is:

Crimson Armors (+8 is starting to be common on C-west)

Defence armors, get every piece you can.

Oasis Staff. You will need to stat 112-114 (i think) points into MP for it, but it shouldn&#39;t be much more then crimsons anyways, and you will still be able to do half decent damage. Trust me, if you go GE or some other crap, you will quit fast because if the pk isn&#39;t busy, you will get bored super fast. This way you can do some NT damage, and blade for 450-500ish

what camaz0tz said about the strategy was right on the money. One thing I would add is utilize body blocking as much as you can. As you will be the primary target for the bulk of them, if the heat gets on to much, run through a group of players and right when you get into that group tp a tank. This will cause a nice block for the chasing melee. Master that and you will soon find out that you will be ignored by many. Believe me, an ignored support mage is Godlike.

I know you wont have access to the Halloween canes on that server, but if any1 else reads this, get one. It&#39;s (as far as i know) the only one handed staff on the game. If your combo is up to par, use charged blade. Even though it&#39;s only like 3 AP, you will be able to get a couple lucky stuns and cancel the skills of a spam healing priest.