Complete mage

This is a discussion on Complete mage within the Class Questions and Tips forums, part of the Game Questions & Tips category; Hi all, I made this topic because I don't want to post in someone elses topic with my own questions, ...
Page: 1

Banned Senior Member

Default Complete mage

Hi all,

I made this topic because I don't want to post in someone elses topic with my own questions, even though it is the same subject

Thinking to build a support mage, it's on Ares, so people are very well geared. I was wondering what would be the best build to play support. Ice or Lightning?

I am planning to run around with a shield, but do you switch to staff when you nova? Or do you keep on shield? Does this influence my damage and stun rate very much? Or is it not that much of a difference? Can I melee someone with a club or is a staff needed?

Was thinking of chitin shield, (can I wear a club with it??), Completes +8, Rols +3 (I have these atm), Iron Neck +0, Iron Belt +0, BE's +3. Will this do fine? Do I need a DD helm?

Help is much appreciated

Edit: I just started typing, sorry for having no structure in my questions, just threw everything in this topic I came up with

TNM

I also used to be semi support on ares with worse gear ( cs+0 krowaz6/5, garp8,shios2, iron set , sses0 full def set), you should do just fine with it. Chitin shield+0 really comes in handy and makes you alot more tanky.
    If you want the perfect mage club you should get CS+0 and leonard+7/8, it's great but you can't staff with it, unless you replace your shield with a candy cane.

Rols i wouldn't buy; better go for rofs+1/2/3 or the rings of your element at +3

Krowaz instead of complete is better imo try getting +6/7's (money doesn't seem to be an issue). You should also look for all the different weap def items because they help out alot with the +9 weaps etc being around.

Anyway what worked for me was 143MP 160INT 51STR, rest HP (about 154). With your gear you will be having over 5k base hp, which is high enough. It's better to have a high AP staff so you can still dish out some damage whenever you are not being focused, otherwise it just goes to waste. Same for when you are throwing a nova with a shield on -> you can just switch back and forth between staff and shield during the animation (does not work if you wear a 2nd item).
    If you are using a 70+ staff or bifrost staff it will be at least around 200dmg difference so it's worth it. Not sure but it's very likely the stun/slowrates are higher as well

Anyway i prefer the shield+candycane combo because you can still use light blade (42 or 72) to annoy dem priests. Duffs are canceled easily and heals easier so that's better than running around with mace+shield.

Also my preference goes to ice > light when playing support. The cubes come in so handy and blink isn't that neccessary if you are tanky enough. Skillcanceling you can still do when you go for 45ish in light and use the light blade on priests.

I hope all this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatero View Post
    Hi all,

I made this topic because I don't want to post in someone elses topic with my own questions, even though it is the same subject

Thinking to build a support mage, it's on Ares, so people are very well geared. I was wondering what would be the best build to play support. Ice or Lightning?

I am planning to run around with a shield, but do you switch to staff when you nova? Or do you keep on shield? Does this influence my damage and stun rate very much? Or is it not that much of a difference? Can I melee someone with a club or is a staff needed?

Was thinking of chitin shield, (can I wear a club with it??), Completes +8, Rols +3 (I have these atm), Iron Neck +0, Iron Belt +0, BE's +3. Will this do fine? Do I need a DD helm?

Help is much appreciated

Edit: I just started typing, sorry for having no structure in my questions, just threw everything in this topic I came up with
    dd25/dd15 is a must...

cs0, be3, iron set are good...as for rings...id try getting shio +3s and go ice support....its cheaper and lvl 80 ice will screw up parties big time..

i guess it depends on what your clan needs most to be honest...

lvl 80 ice you can use to screw up that annoying duffer and ice him for a bit...
    throw down an aoe or nova to slow a party, and your melees will take care of the rest...

also ice mages are VERY hard to kill

blink is helpful if you need to be strictly a tp mage...stunning will be pretty tough if youre not statted for it...blizzard and slow, on the other hand, seems to have a better success rate

ok, if you want to wear a shield, go ice definitely, use shield most of the time, and just throw ice novas and 80 ices into the crowds, but if you use a shield, go for gabs, as you know on ares just like me all of those cz sins are a pain
    on the other hand there's lightning, for this you dont need a shield, because blinking and double blinking keeps you miles away from anyone, sneaking in to throw the blind up when its available theres no real need to stun people i find its not a very useful side effect it doesnt last that long and the rate is very low, but light mages typically are far outside of the battle tping their party mates and throwing blinds, you could go lght ice, and throw lots of ice novas and such too but really for ares and having mediocre gear, youd have to be light in my opinion, its way better for survival than ice.