Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why do mages have to be one or the other?

This is a discussion on Why do mages have to be one or the other? within the Class Questions and Tips forums, part of the Game Questions & Tips category; I'm one of those that would never go half tank half attack. Especially as a fire mage. Never played light ...
Page: 2

imma cut you up Senior Member lIIIIIIIIIIl's Avatar

I'm one of those that would never go half tank half attack. Especially as a fire mage. Never played light so no clue about that, but if you look to salsa or bfd and you compare them with a random hybrid light mage the difference is huge.[/b]
    only when i was playing salsa!

Willows

with 138 mp and elysium +7... sure if shows on ur screen, remember though that's 400s on theirs
    The point is I'd rather have that extra damage then instead of having that 777 hp as u say... why? because for one, it's only a hp pot away, and the other thing is u got vamparic fire.... Idk if you are new to mage, but with 2x vamparic fire, you should be able to get out of almost any situation, unless u got like 5+ ganging u at once. Anyways, go ahead and try it, I've only seen people that support or people that want to be spamming the kills (damage)... and this built isn't meant for either, but takes parts of both sides. If you really know how to play a mage, 4.5k hp (basically lvl 80 shell mage with full mp stated with quest uniques) would be just enough to do anything... but since this is diez, i can imagine the crazy uniques there are, so I don't know why ur wanting to go from lets say the 5k hp that u have now, to the 6k hp that u want and are willing to sacrifice the damage.

Personally for me, if you staffing people lower then 500s, I suggest you just go full support, cause that's not really considered damage...

That's what happened to me on C-west when I played this mage, it was like 200 mp, 90 hp and 160 int or so... was spamming a guy that i was vsing 400s on my screen, meaning 300s on his.... just pathetic, i just quit that char cause it wasn't worthy of saying that it was a fire damage build[/b]
    The less damage is because of the 15% damage reduce skill, which means you see higher damage than you're doing, actual damage is 15% less. So if you see 1k on your screen it's actually 850, 500 is actually 425 etc etc.

I think we've both made our points though.

And I can't play full support, I'd lose my mind.

Your mind is already lost, update your sig! MP build ftw <3

Im trying out half mp half tank build, and with elysium+7, only one imir+1 (other ring isnt an imir) and 138mp stats im hitting 500s in diez so as fire it would be even more...[/b]
    Not really, warriors use rocs which have FR but no LR. Only people you would hit harder would be rogues/priests.

pthawaii

Pretty good discussion here. Like said before, there is no right or wrong, it&#39;s personal preference. Personally, I would never go hybrid, but I do know a mage in my clan, very knowledgeable, plays hybrid fire/ice lvl 83 mage. I think he&#39;s thing is, enough HP to stay alive. In other words, if when you PK you can stay alive during combat 90-95% of the time, no need add HP. If you are dying 50% of the time, well, no matter how hard you hit, you&#39;re not helping your party much being in town, so you better do something to stay alive longer, maybe add HP. It&#39;s all a matter of what your situation is. I&#39;m sure if Willows was never dying, or dying VERY seldomly, he&#39;d consider going full MP. I&#39;m sure if others stat-ed full MP were dying 50% of the time they entered combat they&#39;d consider hybriid (or more likely change to warrior lol )

Here&#39;s one of the reason&#39;s I can&#39;t get over and why I don&#39;t go hybrid. I look for bang for my buck. Mages are meant to add to INT and MP (notice those stats are highlighted). When warriors add to HP, they get a crap load of HP per point, plus AC. Mages, I believe, get the least amount for adding to HP. To me, there is no "bang for your buck" til you start adding over 100. Over 100HP you start to get additional AC. So if I&#39;m gonna sacrifice points to HP, I&#39;m getting only HP up to 100HP, but getting HP and AC for over 100HP. Each point I give up, I give up a % of damage. So in my mind, if I&#39;m gonna give up points to HP from 50-100 (where I get the least bang for my buck), I&#39;m gonna just put all the rest of the points there (where I get the most bang for my buck). Hence for me, I&#39;ve always played full MP or full tank.

Now, about 3 years ago someone tested how adding MP affects damage and came to the conclusion that MP points added to MP stat don&#39;t add to damage in a linear fashion, but rather it flattens out as you go higher. There is a plataeuing effect. I never tested this, but if true, would lend well to Willow&#39;s reasons of being hybrid.

Again, let me say, no right or wrong, depends on ur in game situation while playing. SOrry gotta cut short, gtg. :P

Pretty good discussion here. Like said before, there is no right or wrong, it&#39;s personal preference. Personally, I would never go hybrid, but I do know a mage in my clan, very knowledgeable, plays hybrid fire/ice lvl 83 mage. I think he&#39;s thing is, enough HP to stay alive. In other words, if when you PK you can stay alive during combat 90-95% of the time, no need add HP. If you are dying 50% of the time, well, no matter how hard you hit, you&#39;re not helping your party much being in town, so you better do something to stay alive longer, maybe add HP. It&#39;s all a matter of what your situation is. I&#39;m sure if Willows was never dying, or dying VERY seldomly, he&#39;d consider going full MP. I&#39;m sure if others stat-ed full MP were dying 50% of the time they entered combat they&#39;d consider hybriid (or more likely change to warrior lol )

Here&#39;s one of the reason&#39;s I can&#39;t get over and why I don&#39;t go hybrid. I look for bang for my buck. Mages are meant to add to INT and MP (notice those stats are highlighted). When warriors add to HP, they get a crap load of HP per point, plus AC. Mages, I believe, get the least amount for adding to HP. To me, there is no "bang for your buck" til you start adding over 100. Over 100HP you start to get additional AC. So if I&#39;m gonna sacrifice points to HP, I&#39;m getting only HP up to 100HP, but getting HP and AC for over 100HP. Each point I give up, I give up a % of damage. So in my mind, if I&#39;m gonna give up points to HP from 50-100 (where I get the least bang for my buck), I&#39;m gonna just put all the rest of the points there (where I get the most bang for my buck). Hence for me, I&#39;ve always played full MP or full tank.

Now, about 3 years ago someone tested how adding MP affects damage and came to the conclusion that MP points added to MP stat don&#39;t add to damage in a linear fashion, but rather it flattens out as you go higher. There is a plataeuing effect. I never tested this, but if true, would lend well to Willow&#39;s reasons of being hybrid.

Again, let me say, no right or wrong, depends on ur in game situation while playing. SOrry gotta cut short, gtg. :P[/b]
    I totaly agree with your post, cannot formulate it any better.

It&#39;s true that the damage increase gets lower when your mp goes up. But your damage still goes up, only not as much as when you started putting points in mp but even the smallest improvement is welcome to me :-).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12