First Time Mage

This is a discussion on First Time Mage within the Class Questions and Tips forums, part of the Game Questions & Tips category; I've been a rogue since I started playing ko, and am now leveling a mage. I've asked around, read most ...
Page: 1

HourmanJ

I've been a rogue since I started playing ko, and am now leveling a mage. I've asked around, read most of the guides, and some older posts, but the guides are either outdated or I get different answers from people.

To start: my stats unbuffed:

elysium1rb/complete1rb/gob pads/dual Imirs0/skele0/wp+1/quest earrings/and I do have dd25/spear 20 helms

In pk(rlb/bdw)I handle myself pretty well. Archers give me trouble because they always cancel my casts and some warriors hit me pretty hard. Besides that, I do: 300-400 dmg, moreso low 300s, to most people with blade.
    500-600 dmg with static nova
    Some questions:

1) INT: Should I waste my points in this? Everyone says different things. Is there a definite answer that more INT=more stun?

2) Rings: Why ROMS? Everyone says roms for mages, but why? I personally like bifrost rings, and want to get dual +1 imirs at least. But is a rom that good? I thought mp bonus didn't work in pk?

Also: 2a) Which hand should a "better" ring go on, like the better dagger for rogues? For example, flame/Imir1 on the left and flamer/imir0 on the right?

3) Skillbar setup: Any general advice? Anything easier or harder to do?

4) Staff: I like mine. Anything else I should consider?

5) Pendant: Working on getting EP (or even IN jajaj), but why EP?

6) As I go 70+ or get a 70+ char, what should I look out for or change?

7) Earrings...

Any other advice would be helpful. Thx.

I've been a rogue since I started playing ko, and am now leveling a mage. I've asked around, read most of the guides, and some older posts, but the guides are either outdated or I get different answers from people.

To start: my stats unbuffed:

elysium1rb/complete1rb/gob pads/dual Imirs0/skele0/wp+1/quest earrings/and I do have dd25/spear 20 helms

In pk(rlb/bdw)I handle myself pretty well. Archers give me trouble because they always cancel my casts and some warriors hit me pretty hard. Besides that, I do: 300-400 dmg, moreso low 300s, to most people with blade.
    500-600 dmg with static nova
    Some questions:

1) INT: Should I waste my points in this? Everyone says different things. Is there a definite answer that more INT=more stun?

2) Rings: Why ROMS? Everyone says roms for mages, but why? I personally like bifrost rings, and want to get dual +1 imirs at least. But is a rom that good? I thought mp bonus didn't work in pk?

Also: 2a) Which hand should a "better" ring go on, like the better dagger for rogues? For example, flame/Imir1 on the left and flamer/imir0 on the right?

7) Earrings...

Any other advice would be helpful. Thx.[/b]
    1) Int does help alot in the stun rate. If it didn't everybody would be going paper. Btw the ap and ele of the staff helps.

2) Nobody says ROMs for mages unless they are a support mage and they cannot afford +1/2/3 bifrost rings, or high + rols.

2a) Haha... you can put your ring on w/e hand you want because it does not matter.

3) On the skill bar its all about person choice, but I will tell you my mage skill bar. It is for attack not support:

1. TP
    2. Blade
    3. Hp
    4. Mana
    5. High damage attack skill
    6. High damage attack skill
    7. The skill that gives you hp when it hits a person
    8. Frostbite.

4) No, your elysium is very good unless you can get a +8 or above

5) EP gives you not only good defense, but a shit load of HP and mana. Those 2 things are very essential to mages.

6) The only thing I would change is: Get a Iron Neck or EP +3, Iron Belt, get a Scorp Shield for support and running away, and maybe get the new lvl 70 staff at +7.

7) For Earrings you can have two choices... Resistance and Hp, or Defense and Hp. I like to do a combo of both. I would get a SSE +1 or higher then get maybe a LKP +1 or higher or a CE +1 or higher.

RE5PECTmf

1 ) Stay with 160 int . U won't get benefits from putting maxed out int , if INT determinates stun , u would see 255 int mages everywhere .

2) Stick with Bifrost rings , since I see you are building Lightning Attack mage , u would need bifrost rings to be good . Stick with imirs and try to get them to +1 like u planned . Rom is good for support mages , cuz of its defense , and mostly ice mages use it ... those ones which cant afford ROL or LB . It is a cheaper replacement .

2.a) As far as I know , this is the same ... I swaped slots on my rings +2 and +1 imir , and haven't got any better bonus when i switched slots .. this only works for rogue I guess .

3) Skill-bar is players choice . For instance , I like to have Hp / Mana pot on first 3 F's .. in slots 1 and 2 . That way no matter what page I use , i can reach them always .

My skill-bar for your build would be something like this

F1 - Range Skills

1- Hp pot
    2- Mana Pot
    3- 18 lvl skill
    4- Impact
    5- Thorn
    6- Static Orb ( 51 )
    7- 39 Lvl skill
    8- Absolute Power

F2 - Aoe Spells

1- Hp pot
    2- Mana Pot
    3- 33 lvl skill
    4- Blizzard
    5- Nova
    6- ThunderCloud
    7- Solid(For luring )
    8- Absolute Power

F3 - VS / Close combat Mode

1- Hp pot
    2- Mana pot
    3- 42 skill
    4- Impact
    5- Manes of Light
    6- Thorn
    7- Static Orb
    8- Absolute Power

F4 - Support Page

1- Tp
    2- Hp pot
    3- 42 ice skill
    4- Frostbite
    5- Blizzard
    6- Gate
    7- Gate
    8- Mana pot

F5 - Scrolls / Resistances and stuff

1- Tp
    2- Hp pot
    3- Frozen Shell
    4- 50 Gr
    5- 80 Lr
    6- Speed pot
    7- Hp scroll
    8- Ac Scroll

4 ) Stay with elysium , and by the time .. .try to get +8

5) Don't get In , u won't get much benefits from it . Get Ep , it will boost ur hp , and u got ske + dd 25 , and u r covered with weap defense armors . Boost ur Hp / Mana with Ep and enjoy =)

6 ) Ur build is fine for Light mage in any lvl ... In general u should get +8 armors , +8 weapon , rings +1 , Pendant +1/2 ... Glass or Iron belt ( I prefere Glass ... )

7) Since I'm a resistance whore , I would go with LKP+1 and CE+1 ... nice balance of hp / def and mana ...

I hope I helped u , about skill-bar , its personal preference , About Earrings as well ... Something I would chose .
    In general , u r doing good so far ... get hp valkyrie and warrior defense gloves and u'll be even better , since ur hp is kinda low ... and don't forget to put 1 in str on next lvl , it will give u ability to use Scorpion Shield +0 or maybe Small Shield +6 reduced ...

Have fun and GL . =)

7) Earrings...

Any other advice would be helpful. Thx.[/b]
    since u've got FP defs, go with 144 int and crystals +8/9

1) INT does NOT determine stun... paper is useless nowadays, int mages do the same dmg as papers, since u can have 255mp as well
    2) ofc biff rings > roms... You've read old guides I believe :P and biffrost rings were very expensive
    2a) no difference which is in which finger...
    (oh and go with dual Imirs as high + as u can afford)
    3) your personal choise
    4) elysium ftw
    5) get a glass belt first and then go for EP +1/2 which is imo better than IN
    6) you may look for a new staff - Faun :P but they've got -70 def at +7 so I wouldn't get it before 75lvl
    7) LKPs ftw

ILoveYouToo

since u've got FP defs, go with 144 int and crystals +8/9

paper is useless nowadays, int mages do the same dmg as papers, since u can have 255mp as well[/b]
    >______>
    I'd rather have 7.5k hp and 9xx ac than 5.5k hp and 1.1k ac =l You need 82 for 255mp and complete anyway >.>

>______>
    I'd rather have 7.5k hp and 9xx ac than 5.5k hp and 1.1k ac =l You need 82 for 255mp and complete anyway >.>[/b]
    9xx ac? what items would you use? lycaon staff? and full of +3's?

ILoveYouToo

9xx ac? what items would you use? lycaon staff? and full of +3's?[/b]
    I had 843 ac with a fulitol +8 which is -75 def, so if i used a lycoan or any other paper staff i'd have 9xx ac. I only have 3x +2 uniques and 2x +1, 1x +0. No +3^. Also im using flame rings not rols so a paper mage could potentially have 1k ac without a shield and over 8k hp with lets say +1 or +2 rols and +1 or +2 sse's

BigApple

omg rol's so lame for mage.. idk why peple say this is good. Much better wit rom or certainly ed rings

ILoveYouToo

omg rol's so lame for mage.. idk why peple say this is good. Much better wit rom or certainly ed rings[/b]
    ROLs are the best rings for mage other than the bf rings. more hp/ac and lr is better than gr for a fire mage because you can always give yourself 50gr.

HourmanJ

1) Int does help alot in the stun rate. If it didn't everybody would be going paper. Btw the ap and ele of the staff helps.[/b]
    1 ) Stay with 160 int . U won't get benefits from putting maxed out int , if INT determinates stun , u would see 255 int mages everywhere[/b]
    1) INT does NOT determine stun... paper is useless nowadays, int mages do the same dmg as papers, since u can have 255mp as well[/b]
    ^^

This is what I was saying about different answers to this question.

Some follow ups and more questions:
    1) I guess what I was saying about skill bar and skills, is that I don't know what skills are the best for what? Respect kinda showed it, but more specifically things like:
    What are the best long range stun/slow skills with the highest %? What are the best short range damage skills, etc.
    For example, I know frostbite is one of the best range ice skills....

(I have 42 points in ice so far also.)

2) I don't even know wtf you guys are talking about last couple posts. So I'll just ask. I don't ever plan on going w/e build that is but still:
    Why do I see a lot of top/high lvl mages use those wood staffs like you guys said. Lycaon? Lupus? I don't know, but why do they use them? I think they have low ap and not even good bonuses. So why do I see gg mages use those staffs? Is it all paper too? Wtf build is that?

3) This is noob question, but why do resists and mana matter so much for mage? Mages already have so much elemental resists depending on whatever element they are, and they already have a lot of mana.

4) On my rogue, I have almost every single fp weapon defense armor (25 axe/20 club/15 sword/etc) (rare ones, that don't drop anymore on old servers). Are there the same for mages, or only the new chitin ones that you can get in the Monster Supression Quest?

Also, I don't even know wtf a LKP is :P

Anyways, thanks for your responses.

Banned

1) Int does help alot in the stun rate. If it didn't everybody would be going paper.[/b]

and a big 'ole facepalm for Sheldon

1) Int does help alot in the stun rate. If it didn't everybody would be going paper. Btw the ap and ele of the staff helps.[/b]

and a big 'ole facepalm for Sheldon[/b]
    Dont be so harsh, that was the way it worked long time ago, when paper mages where fire/light to give light resis in apos party. they couldnt stun shit, out of 50 blades perhaps only 1 would stun sum1.

I trully dont know how it works now. But it seems to me that a cardboard lightmage has lower stun rate than a complete one.

and a big 'ole facepalm for Sheldon

[/b]
    I am right.

ILoveYouToo

I can neither confirm or deny

BigApple

ROLs are the best rings for mage other than the bf rings. more hp/ac and lr is better than gr for a fire mage because you can always give yourself 50gr.[/b]
    Just your idiot opinion scammer. http://www.ko4life.com/forums/index.php?sh...94383&st=20