LoL information

This is a discussion on LoL information within the PC Gaming forums, part of the Games category; Hey guys.. KO's pretty lame (as we all know very well), and i'm looking to find another game of choice ...
Page: 1

SlickPrick Senior Member jewboy's Avatar

Exclamation LoL information

Hey guys.. KO's pretty lame (as we all know very well), and i'm looking to find another game of choice to take up my free time. I've heard about LoL and that its "GG" and all...

Can you guys give me some recommendations? what version (eu / us), server (if there are any different ones?)
    Some basic knowledge too would be nice.. Is it a game you can describe to me? or is it one of the "you have to play to experience it" type of games?

I've looked it up and all i see are topics about LoL, but nothing really describing the gameplay and like how to get started.

Soo.. can anyone fill me in, please?

(or link me somewhere with some good infos on the subject. gracias)

LoL is not an MMO, it works more like a game of counter-strike where you get to start fresh for every game that you start.
    Each team consists of either 3 or 5 players (depending on which map you choose to play).

New User Guide | LoL - League of Legends

this is a pretty good guide, which server you play depends on where you live, if you're European I'd suggest Eu-west, if you're american/canadian/oceanian/south american I'd go for the NA (North American) servers.

Video made by totalbiscuit some time ago, he manages to explain the cores of the game pretty well.

Banned

Vice pretty much summed it all up. But, I'd recommend you to get someone to play with you who has some experience. I really had a tough time to keep myself interested. There were just tooo many smurfs ( experienced people on low lvl accounts ) who just wrecked everybody.
    Also many people say it's a fun game because it's a game you can play on and off for like 30min and still have some fun without having to put much effort into it ( Unlike mmorpgs ), I can't really confirm that because you really have to put time into the game to learn all the different champs to somewhat play successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRapist View Post
    Vice pretty much summed it all up. But, I'd recommend you to get someone to play with you who has some experience. I really had a tough time to keep myself interested. There were just tooo many smurfs ( experienced people on low lvl accounts ) who just wrecked everybody.
    Also many people say it's a fun game because it's a game you can play on and off for like 30min and still have some fun without having to put much effort into it ( Unlike mmorpgs ), I can't really confirm that because you really have to put time into the game to learn all the different champs to somewhat play successfully.

the thing is that if you learn the char's and stuff then you don't need to continue hardcore playing to keep in touch.. after almost a year of consistent playing i play like 1-2 times per month with friends and i am still competitive because it has nothing to do with gear or lvls or anything after one point

Banned

Yeah but you definitely need to put a lot of time into the learning the champs. I mean how many are there now? 110? And there's a new one going to be released in the near future too. By the time you got to know half of them somewhat decently there will be 5 new champs...
    You have to look at it from a beginner's point of view. You get outplayed by people left and right who've ben playing the game for years ( even on lowlvlaccoutns )...

Also what I forgot to mention, the community is horrible. At least on euw.

Little archer Senior Member

This game is a team game, no matter which mode you play. you are basically teamed up by matchmaking with 4 strangers every time you hit play, facing another 5 strangers in the other team. it's hard to have proper coordination and teamwork (vital in this kind of games) with strangers, hence the reason why teams on vent (aka premade or arranged) tend to be much better than pugs. anyway, as long as everyone knows what they're doing more or less you'll be fine.

LoL's potential to be frustrating is unbelievably immense. Because like in every team game, it is not up to you alone to single handedly win a game. It's enough for one of your teammates to be way below in terms of skill for you to lose miserably a game that would have otherwise been won. A loss' frustration mostly depends on how serious you take this game. Some people don't care at all, some other people play to win: and that clash of perspectives is one of the things that defines LoL.

No moba is easy to learn, there are just so many roles, tactics, mechanics and knowledge that it will take you months before you actually know everything and manage to actually play decently (less if you had dota background). Imagine it's a 5v5 tekken game with over 100 different characters. You don't know each of the character skillsets' individually yet... and even worse, here you also have to learn stuff like cooldowns, damage, ratios, crowd control duration, etc.

I suggest you to go hardcore on guides (get your advanced champion guides / first impressions from solomid.net or decent youtube videos) so you can quicken up the huge learning curve (huge, but still lower than the original dota or dota2).

All in all, LoL can be a very fun game. Even though it's mostly based on the same map, every match is a different story, there's no "I MUST LOGIN TO PLAY TO NOT FALL BEHIND" feel because obviously this isn't a mmorpg. Multiple characters to choose from and if you're lucky you can meet nice people.

Whatever you do: Don't do normal games against other people (pvp) until you know wtf you're doing, your possible team will thank you, and you will avoid a massive frustrating stomp by smurfs (like someone already said, a smurf is a guy who knows how to play, on a brand new account, therefore he gets matched against new players). Sooo do co-op vs AI, that's basically playing again bots. Play on easy difficulty tho.

Some other basic info: LoL is free to play, but the characters (called champions) are only available 10 per week (it changes weekly), if you want to permanently unlock any of those champions, you must usually pay a huge amount of in game currency or spend usd. There's no need to unlock every champ, just try them out as they go into free week or look them up (youtube) if they seem interesting and then put together enough igc in order to unlock them.

Oh, and the community can be very negative. I hope you have a thick skin to successfully survive the childish trolls whose sole purpose is to piss you off.

damn lol, i went all over the place and was generally negative... but w/e, this game is addicting.

I would really recommend starting of by playing botgames once you get started, as it's a much less hostile environment.

Because honestly, who the fuck wants to keep learning while you have some prepubertal little 12 year old screaming at you for being a 'noob' while he's 'smurfing' with 0-8 stats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    damn lol, i went all over the place and was generally negative... but w/e, this game is addicting.
    That's what I was thinking of my posts. This game is mad fun though.

SlickPrick Senior Member jewboy's Avatar

Thanks guys, for the good info. I'll check out that beginner video