Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"+1"

This is a discussion on "+1" within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Not be to padantic, but should it not be x1 ? Adding one to something gives a different product, timesing ...
Page: 1

SkiTz

Default "+1"

Not be to padantic, but should it not be x1 ?

Adding one to something gives a different product, timesing it by 1 gives the same (therefore saying x1 means the same [as the person has said])

For example: He is gay i really dont like him.

Random : +1

Literally means... (He is gay i really dont like him) +1 = different product such as...
    He is gay i really dont like him 1

However, if we try multiplying the statement by 1 we get

1(He is gay i really dont like him) =
    1xHe 1xis 1xgay 1xi 1xreally 1x dont 1xlike 1xhim = (anything timesed by 1 equals itself),
    He is gay i really dont like him.

/ padantic

Just dont see the sense of saying +1 when it should be x1 ..

ownage..

x1 h43r:

Medusa

no cuz when u say +1 its like saying " i agree with that , add me "

Sweet

Now what if I went ahead and did the traditional "+2" after Magix... can you do a "x2"?

SkiTz

Originally posted by Sweet
    Now what if I went ahead and did the traditional "+2" after Magix... can you do a "x2"? *
    I guess not unless the starting comment is just " 0 " which would be a pointless post (kinda like this one), and in which case no matter what you times it by the result would still be the same.

I guess you would just do "x1" or say, literally, i agree or i have the same opinion.

As for the person saying "add me" = +1, it doesnt, it changes the product by one which changes the entire statement in whole. You are therefore stating a different thing to the person which you are commenting on... jeezus.

Sweet

Unfortunantly, I do not think that the rules of mathematics can be applied to the english language, much less the english of an MMORPG forum... :lol:

The_Good_Doctor__

"Just dont see the sense of saying +1 when it should be x1 "

Then why isn't it Shard x1?

A Shard +8 certainly isn't equivalent to a Shard X8.

It's not a literal reference either, as in +1 damage points. The system that KO uses is similiar to many RPG's.
    Each item as an individual has a base(what we tend to call a +0), or the white weapons and armor, above and beyond that, there are levels of improvement, and each level has a different gain.

The difference being, is that a +1 has the same damage, but has somethign about it that is better than a normal(+0) item.
    It is +1 levels above +0.
    And that creates the scheme all the way up the ladder.

Hence the relevence on this forum and not say, forums._/forgaypedantics.org.

Eat it.

SkiTz

Originally posted by The_Good_Doctor__
    "Just dont see the sense of saying +1 when it should be x1 "

Then why isn't it Shard x1?

A Shard +8 certainly isn't equivalent to a Shard X8.

It's not a literal reference either, as in +1 damage points. *The system that KO uses is similiar to many RPG's.
    Each item as an individual has a base(what we tend to call a +0), or the white weapons and armor, above and beyond that, there are levels of improvement, and each level has a different gain. *

The difference being, is that a +1 has the same damage, but has somethign about it that is better than a normal(+0) item.
    It is +1 levels above +0.
    And that creates the scheme all the way up the ladder.

Hence the relevence on this forum and not say, forums._/forgaypedantics.org.

Eat it.
    Okay .. you're missing the point. Shard +1 != Shard x1 (does not equal) it is a different thing, is it not?

As for telling me what you deem 'relevant' to this forum; a forum moderator was the first to reply. If this post was not relevant why is it still open for dicussion.

And fine, i will eat it. Get me food and i will eat. Chips or something will be nice.

Next time, try to understand the point of the post.

Where the time goes fast, but everything is slow

I think +1 is correct, in my see it goes like this:
    "i am +1 ( 1 more )people that agree with this :unsure:

The_Good_Doctor__

1. Reading comprehension 101

The +1 is more relevant to a KO forum, because +1 and up is used in the KO game, and is why you won't see it on many other forums as noted above.

I was not inferring that your post shouldn't be here, just that x1 isn't relevant to the game, and not a sort of inside humor as +1 is.
    Edit* It's use is derived from humor, and has little bearing in the english language(or mathematics or scientific notations or anything else, except geeky "leet speek") regardless of the symbols used.
    Edit *though after this topic, we'll likely be seeing alot more of x1 and such.

skitz, dude. go smoke some more weed and listen to some 80's heavy metal. you put too much thought into this.

Protoss Arbiter Senior Member

+1's are significant symbols in the English language that can not be derived from mathematics. As far as the Enlightenment theories go they cannot be applied to societal progress in terms of social philosiphy and the progressment of society as a group and a collective, in terms of Marxian theories.

AKA: Who the fuck cares?

The_Good_Doctor__

Originally posted by lutz
    +1's are significant symbols in the English language that can not be derived from mathematics. *As far as the Enlightenment theories go they cannot be applied to societal progress in terms of social philosiphy and the progressment of society as a group and a collective, in terms of Marxian theories.

+1 for brilliant phrasing that I couldn't manage.

SkiTz

Originally posted by lutz
    +1's are significant symbols in the English language that can not be derived from mathematics. *As far as the Enlightenment theories go they cannot be applied to societal progress in terms of social philosiphy and the progressment of society as a group and a collective, in terms of Marxian theories.

Marxian theories were written about a revolution which occured like 100 years after the French Revolution and claimed to have knowledge of why the Revolution occured. In most terms the Marxian theory of the Revolution are in deed untrue: They claim the revolution was the Bourgeouis rising up against the French Government, and, in turn, overthrowing it with force (revolution). However, if you examine the Revolution closely, you will find that many notables and clergy members were leaders of the uprising parties in the French Revolution (Abbe Sieyes [clergy], Lafayette (Second Estate)) , and the bourgeouis had little to do with it.

As stated above, it is obvious that the Marxian theories are in some cases untrue and are not to be completely believed.

And btw, i wrote that myself; maybe you should try writting instead of copy and paste from another site?

/ french revolution.

SkiTz

Originally posted by The_Good_Doctor__
    1. Reading comprehension 101

The +1 is more relevant to a KO forum, because +1 and up is used in the KO game, and is why you won't see it on many other forums as noted above.

I was not inferring that your post shouldn't be here, just that x1 isn't relevant to the game, and not a sort of inside humor as +1 is. *
    Edit* *It's use is derived from humor, and has little bearing in the english language(or mathematics or scientific notations or anything else, except geeky "leet speek") regardless of the symbols used.
    Edit *though after this topic, we'll likely be seeing alot more of x1 and such.
    Who gives a fuck if it is in game or not; it does not matter because it does not make literal sense when used to say "I agree".

+1 makes sense when applied to say: A Shard. It describes the class of the shard and sets it apart from say, a shard +9. The two items are different.

+1 does not make sense when applied to text, however, x1 does as i displayed above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast