Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About X-mass in turkey

This is a discussion on About X-mass in turkey within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; turkey used 2 be the head of the christian empire so there are still christans there, so thats why some ...
Page: 2

TeaBagging

turkey used 2 be the head of the christian empire so there are still christans there, so thats why some say merry christmas. The reason they have a holiday is because if you havnt noticed a lot of holidays are around this time of year because it is around the shortest day and they are celebrating days are getting longer. There a few days apart because everyone's calanders wernt very good back then so they skipped a few days :P

DisillusionedIdealogue

well, in reality christmas isnt a celebration of christ's birth, it was an old "pagan" holiday celebrating some king that rose from the dead to lead his army to victory, but when christianity was starting up people wanted to embrace their new religion, but were reluctant to get rid of their old celebrations, so many important "pagan" celebrations were adapted to christianity. i think i heard somewhere that christ was actually born near july xD

but who cares, presents rock

itsVision

Originally posted by Archer3
    they get presents from k2.. and new ways to exploits bugs... thats why they say happy x-mas etc etc
    lmfao :lol:

Foretold

Christmas is an economic engine, which we can largely thank America (and an author named Washington Irving who wrote the Knickerbocker tales in the early 1800s) for. About one-quarter of all retail sales occurs during the Christmas shopping period in America, so it's no wonder why other countries pick up and use the holiday as a market ploy. Starting on October 1st, some shops start selling items for Christmas, and end their sales during late January (that's about 4 months of Christmas shit for a 1 day celebration). This occurs not only in America, but in other countries as well. It never used to be like this though, and this "Christmas Spirit" is relatively new.

Of course, I like Christmas as well, and I do remember fondly the joyous years that I've spent with family. Indeed, if one has family, Christmas is inevitable in Western-like countries. But it truly is disheartening to see the transformation of the Americanized version of Christmas in so many places worldwide. During a time when the message should symbolize austere and selfless charity, we see the virtue and necessity of tacky consumerism. Christmas is not under attack, as many people believe, but it is actually the predator.

That's my 2 cents.

g0rby

Well, a friend of me on my msn said me happy christams.. I asked him where he beleaves he said i beleave on Allah..
    I told him man Christmass or however it spells i dunno nice eng.. Means Jesus Christ borned u dont beleave on him so u dont have to say this ..

And guess...................he didnt know that christmass means the day of jesus born

idefix

Default Re: About X-mass in turkey

Originally posted by g0rby
    Guys i was wondering ( i am not anti turk and i am not a turk also) i heard soo many turks saying happy x-mas etc. etc..
    From all i know turks beleave on allah or any other muslum or other except Christianism *
    X-mas isnt the day that Jesus Christ borned? This is a christianism celebration i thing so why so many ppl are happy w/o even beleave on jesus?

Sorry for bad english hope u will understant and not flame .
    actually jesus wasnt born in december -.- he was born in march. the 25th of december was ripped off some other ancient religion that worshiped the sun god...

Jesus was not born on the christmas date, or even on the year 0. He wasn't divine and he had a family. The whole thing is purely symbolic. I can accept the moral christmas message, but when people try to enforce religious "history" at christmas time I feel like shouting at the gullible fools. As idefix said, I believe the holiday was stolen from a pre-existing holiday that ran for the whole of the period.

I know that the muslim side of my family does not celebrate christmas the same way we do in the West, if at all. In Iran people usually do nothing, but sometimes there are parties during christmas. But I would imagine that muslims living here do take part, simply because it is fun to join in.

I don't understand why we need the religious angle to christmas at all. The message of giving and love is universal, and trying to link it to some arbitrary myth only acts to push people away from enjoying the holiday. And on the other hand, you have the mainly American commercial influence of the christmas retail boom which if anything, only causes stress and problems during christmas.

idefix

Originally posted by idefix+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(idefix)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-g0rby
    Guys i was wondering ( i am not anti turk and i am not a turk also) i heard soo many turks saying happy x-mas etc. etc..
    From all i know turks beleave on allah or any other muslum or other except Christianism *
    X-mas isnt the day that Jesus Christ borned? This is a christianism celebration i thing so why so many ppl are happy w/o even beleave on jesus?

actually jesus wasnt born in december -.- he was born in march. the 25th of december was ripped off some other ancient religion that worshiped the sun god...[/b]
    omg i sound like my IQ wud be over 100 actually... reading dan brown rly makes u wiser xDDD learned so much, including where the word assassin originaly came from... prolly very interesting and relates to the topic, but it was some group of some soldiers who used the drug hasis to celebrate and they were called hasasini or something like that and then it became assassin...

Rentzusuken

Originally posted by Foretold
    Christmas is an economic engine, which we can largely thank America (and an author named Washington Irving who wrote the Knickerbocker tales in the early 1800s) for. About one-quarter of all retail sales occurs during the Christmas shopping period in America, so it's no wonder why other countries pick up and use the holiday as a market ploy. Starting on October 1st, some shops start selling items for Christmas, and end their sales during late January (that's about 4 months of Christmas shit for a 1 day celebration). This occurs not only in America, but in other countries as well. It never used to be like this though, and this "Christmas Spirit" is relatively new. *

Of course, I like Christmas as well, and I do remember fondly the joyous years that I've spent with family. Indeed, if one has family, Christmas is inevitable in Western-like countries. But it truly is disheartening to see the transformation of the Americanized version of Christmas in so many places worldwide. During a time when the message should symbolize austere and selfless charity, we see the virtue and necessity of tacky consumerism. Christmas is not under attack, as many people believe, but it is actually the predator. *

That's my 2 cents.
    I saw THIS video clip and was enraged at the audacity someone had to take their silly notion that it actually mattered whether the gifts given were "right" or "wrong". Although the gifts depicted in the clip may be stereotypical and could technically be given at any time, why would they be inappropriate in the least? What differentiates a gift given on this day versus any other day? Survey says: Hype.

Originally posted by g0rby
    From all i know turks beleave on allah or any other muslum or other except Christianity

not all of turkey is muslim theres a lot of churches adn stuff on the west side of it ive been to istambul

tolgahan

just a new year for us.

OLD1953

The pagan holiday at the winter solistice would be Saturnalia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Although every culture I know of has some sort of celebration at that time of year.

Lots of nonAbrahamic traditions around still, the most common is the names of the months and the days of the week.

MoonDay, TiwsDay, WotansDay, ThorsDay, FreyasDay, SaturnsDay and SunDay

Originally posted by Felix
    Or prehaps there are a few trying to be nice

um no

Originally posted by Raine
    I thought Muslims believe in Jesus...Some actually argue that Jesus was a Jew by birth but Muslim by faith. Anyway, I could be mistaken since I don't know much about the different religions. *

Too confusing...oh well. Hope everyone had a happy X'mas! The roast turkey, honey-glazed ham, and bubbly red was delicious.
    u cant imagine how interesting that statement is philosophically :P

so, if u cross a Jewish birth with Muslim faith, u get a Christian...icon?? :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12