Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Alienware

This is a discussion on Alienware within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Any idea about where HE got HIS parts?...
Page: 2

roberto 117

Any idea about where HE got HIS parts?

Newegg is the #1 website in north america for PC parts.

If you live in the US or Canada then you should check it out.

roberto 117

ok thanks
    you guys have helped out a lot...

Building a pc is the best option ! Sure the price is different but so are the warranties ! When you build a pc all of the parts are going to have individual warranties . So assuming the hard drive goes bad or watever it is you can just swap it with a spare while you send in the hard drive/watever .

Also a good thing about buying the parts has to do with the warranties . I always order from newegg or tigerdirect . So when something wears out or goes bad , i have to send the part to the manufacturer . When you send it they ask for a print out receipt to prove its under warranty still . So i just save the receipt page and go into front page , then edit the date so that its under warranty . This has worked so many times for me and my friends .

Banned

i bought an awesome alienware laptop for 3k, it was worth it, but now after reading all this, i mean, i could of ordered all the stuff for it and all, but to be honest, i dont exactly have all the time for that, thats why i just said fuck it, ill buy a whole new laptop with the shit i want in it.

If you are building your own computer, be ready to purchase the parts within a certain time frame -- say 60 days. I was building my own computer out of the Fry's ads, waiting for certain components to go on sale and I saw tigerdirect with a better part than what I had (for a cheaper price). Tried to return my item back to Fry's for cash and the return policy had expired - only good for in-store credit

Just do your homework and know what you can get the biggest bang for your buck on. Processor speed - Hard Drive speed - system bus speed - and RAM make the most difference in my experience. Hope this helps.

roberto 117

Thanks everyone...at this point I think I have most of the info so you can still add input but I mostly just want you opinions on sites for parts...I know some of you have posted links but the more I look around the better deal I could get.
    Thanks again

Okay here's my 2 cents:

I have owned 2 Dell XPS, top of the line (dell now owns the Alienware brand and will be totally phasing their gaming to the Alienware line), most expensive, lap tops you can buy. Here are some very important points for me.

I have had many computers and lap tops crash for many reasons. I need my lap top to travel for work and they get banged around and used a lot more then the average lap top.
    One of the MAIN reasons I use Dell products is because of the warranty and tech support. I can get next day support on-site anywhere in the USA and 24hr phone support 7 days a week. If they have to change any parts it's 100% free.

I can get around fairly well with my lap top but I do not have the tech knowledge to handle some of the more severe problems that can occur. I cannot risk not having it up and running when I am using the lap top to make a living.

In the last 8 years my Dells have only had 2 major problems. One was very recent. The solution from Dell was to give me a replacement lap top with entirely new components. Since they do not carry the XPS M models anymore so they sent me a brand new Alienware. And it's is sick! I love it. It has this years top of the line everything.

If I had put together my own lap top, I would have had to buy all the new parts myself and still may not have been able to fix it. I also wouldn't have gotten the tech support and would have had to rely on some other company to fix it anyway.

One of the other major points for me is the backlit keyboard that Dell XPS and Alienwares both have. I work on planes, in cabs, and late at night in darker places. This feature is so nice, I literally will never go back to anything else.

For the most part, Dell/Alienware parts are all top of the line, brand name and not "gray" or lower market parts. No matter what anyone else says, these parts are still very expensive and if you buy off the shelf from other manufacturers, you know you're more then likely not going to get the best parts. I have purchased at least 6 other brands of lap tops off the shelf for people in different companies I have been helping and none of them had the high end parts in them, and none of them have lasted as long as the Dells.

For most people, these higher end and more expensive lap tops are too expensive and/or just not worth it. I do not have 12+ hours to fix my own lap tops, esp on the road. The customer service, knowledge that my parts are top of the line, the performance I get from these lap tops, the features (such as back lit keyboard), AND the performance I get for work and gaming, make these computers worth it to me. If you are like me or have similar needs, you will 100% agree. If you have the knowledge to build/maintain and you have the time, to build your own computer and maintain it, then this is not worth it at all, it would be more cost effective to build your own high end machine.

With the last replacement I got from Dell, I am basically getting another new lap top free. This pays for the years it will work and the time I would have had to replace my last one, as this being a newer model, will not date as fast as the old one (obviously).

roberto 117

I know exactly what you mean... I can handle small problems but when it gets into real technical stuff i am lost. thanks for your 2 cents haha.

Okay here's my 2 cents:

I have owned 2 Dell XPS, top of the line (dell now owns the Alienware brand and will be totally phasing their gaming to the Alienware line), most expensive, lap tops you can buy. Here are some very important points for me.

I have had many computers and lap tops crash for many reasons. I need my lap top to travel for work and they get banged around and used a lot more then the average lap top.
    One of the MAIN reasons I use Dell products is because of the warranty and tech support. I can get next day support on-site anywhere in the USA and 24hr phone support 7 days a week. If they have to change any parts it's 100% free.

I can get around fairly well with my lap top but I do not have the tech knowledge to handle some of the more severe problems that can occur. I cannot risk not having it up and running when I am using the lap top to make a living.

In the last 8 years my Dells have only had 2 major problems. One was very recent. The solution from Dell was to give me a replacement lap top with entirely new components. Since they do not carry the XPS M models anymore so they sent me a brand new Alienware. And it's is sick! I love it. It has this years top of the line everything.

If I had put together my own lap top, I would have had to buy all the new parts myself and still may not have been able to fix it. I also wouldn't have gotten the tech support and would have had to rely on some other company to fix it anyway.

One of the other major points for me is the backlit keyboard that Dell XPS and Alienwares both have. I work on planes, in cabs, and late at night in darker places. This feature is so nice, I literally will never go back to anything else.

For the most part, Dell/Alienware parts are all top of the line, brand name and not "gray" or lower market parts. No matter what anyone else says, these parts are still very expensive and if you buy off the shelf from other manufacturers, you know you're more then likely not going to get the best parts. I have purchased at least 6 other brands of lap tops off the shelf for people in different companies I have been helping and none of them had the high end parts in them, and none of them have lasted as long as the Dells.

For most people, these higher end and more expensive lap tops are too expensive and/or just not worth it. I do not have 12+ hours to fix my own lap tops, esp on the road. The customer service, knowledge that my parts are top of the line, the performance I get from these lap tops, the features (such as back lit keyboard), AND the performance I get for work and gaming, make these computers worth it to me. If you are like me or have similar needs, you will 100% agree. If you have the knowledge to build/maintain and you have the time, to build your own computer and maintain it, then this is not worth it at all, it would be more cost effective to build your own high end machine.

With the last replacement I got from Dell, I am basically getting another new lap top free. This pays for the years it will work and the time I would have had to replace my last one, as this being a newer model, will not date as fast as the old one (obviously).

Here are the specs from the replacement Dell sent me:

Alienware M17x
    Processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Extreme QX9300 (2.53GHz, 12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    Memory
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz
    LCD
    17-inch WideUXGA 1920x1200 (1200p)
    Graphics
    Dual nVidia® GeForce® GTX 280M with SLI and PhysX, 2GB
    Webcam
    2 Mpxl integrated Webcam
    Audio
    IDT 92HD73C HD Audio 2.0
    Hard Drive
    320GB hard drive with free-fall sensor, 7200RPM
    Operating System
    Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) edition, SP1
    CD ROM/DVD ROM
    Slot-load 8x DVD+/-RW drive
    Wireless
    Dell Wireless 1510 300Mbps dual-band a/g/n wireless with MIMO technology
    Bluetooth
    Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth™ 2.1 + EDR internal module
    Power source
    240W slim AC adapter
    85 wait-hour 9-cell lithium-ion battery
    Included software
    Adobe Reader
    Nero 9
    Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.0

The lighted keyboard and Alienware case are the by far the best I have ever seen on any lap top anywhere ever and you can't get either if you try to custom build your own computer. You also don't get the killer tech support and free parts for as long as your warranty goes...

This was a 100% free replacement because I had the added warranty, I still have the 2 year old XPS as well, they dont make you turn it in. In this case, I really believe I got way more then I paid for.

bluebird

@ Rad_Archer :
    pretty cool story. and you definately did get way more than you paid for, but that's the advantage sometimes with luck and the extra warranty.

fell into the same position myself, through FutureShop a canadian owned and operated reseller, of HP, Toshiba, etc laptops. had purchased the extended warranty on a 2k+ laptop purchased back in 05 or 06. It was an Acer. either way, fan malfunctioned aswell as some other parts, and they no longer could get parts from the manufacturer. Replaced it this year, with a 2008/09 HP HDX machine.

specs on your alienware laptop, definately better. but had they only replaced the laptop to the same specs, i'd have picked up a 500$ laptop (now adays) instead, walked away with the 1600.00$ one and felt pretty good.

i didn't buy the extended warranty this time around, so inturn a free machine. found out, and this might be news to some, but either way, in canada, buying a laptop on my RBC visa card automatically doubles the manufacturer warranty. keep reciepts, and you'll go atleast 2 years with peace of mind.

nice article, enjoyed the read.

Default reviews

heard they have many problems

thahitman

ya back when i was shopping for my laptop i wanted the alienware it came out to like 2500 and then i went to dell got and xps upgraded it to better than the alienware for 1600 however the alienwares look insanly nice ie flashing lights and logo and shell

I dont think its a good idea to mess around with building your own computer if you dont know what you are doing. The processor could fry if you introduce static electricity to it. Im sure there are other things that could go wrong. If you do work on it make sure you have a friend or person who is computer savy. Lots of fans are good to cool down your comp )

HP sucks balls. My laptop crapped out in 1 year and couple of months. Mother board fried.
    Last edited by DEATHxPROOF; 12-15-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast