can someone explain a little more on why speed hacking exists?

This is a discussion on can someone explain a little more on why speed hacking exists? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ok, I know that the problem exists because people can modify table files in their KO directories, but why do ...
Page: 1

mrmagic2008

Ok, I know that the problem exists because people can modify table files in their KO directories, but why do these files even exist? Since all classes run at the same speed (except rougues when they use light feet skill...) why even have a file for this?

Glader

Because the only alternative is to have the server check everyone's running speed whenever they move. That would overload the servers and crash them in no-time (*EDIT* If not crashing the servers it would also cause enormous laggs if someone is trying to speedhack.), and therefore the only other solution is to "trust" the client with it.

Of course there are ways of making sure that the client is behaving but KO is a bit old / poor programmed for that Im guessing

Glader, You didn't answer his question at all I hate to tell you.

The file's exist simply because it's faster to load on a 7,000RPM to 15,000 RPM drive, then it is to load from their server's - It would cause lag, and the more people that play would just be a tremendous strain on the server's, Much like a DDOS attack would do to your computer.

NoA

So they speedhack by messing with ko-direction files?

That's interesting...

Glader

ah yes, you're right VictoryAkara

I was thinking of the security of it all. Never mind what I wrote, VictoryAkara got it right