Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Catching Cheaters

This is a discussion on Catching Cheaters within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Since our forums are still under construction (but looking better already!) and I doubt there's a better repository of KO-related ...
Page: 1

Default Catching Cheaters

Since our forums are still under construction (but looking better already!) and I doubt there's a better repository of KO-related knowledge anywhere else on the web (in English anyway), I'd like to pick your brains for something.

We are currently in the process of drafting our GM guidelines, and as you may imagine a lot goes into this. Player input at this point is greatly appreciated. I've spent these past few days patrolling the game on a GM character, and I've seen a few obvious instances of unacceptable behaviour, but also a lot of instances that weren't obvious at all. So, what would you recommend our GMs look out for? Where can they go? How certain should they be, and what are possible sanity checks?

I'm sure you've had many ideas over the years about how to counteract cheating, and I hope you'll share them here.

Cardinals CZ, Hornets near ESL gate, Golems near Linate, Golems at snow in ESL, Gigant Golems at desert ESL, Apos/Deru at desert esl, Mastodons near Cruel in CZ. I can give you coordinates when i will back to home.

paramuns ESL, apos of piercing cold CZ ( near cardinals both side ), smilodons/wild smilodons at moradon, shadow seekers moradon/luf/emc.

the highest amount of koxpers/hackers stay at APES both side.

About how to identify cheaters with certainty, that is right now a somewhat tricky question to answer for the average KO4L user, since the newer version of EUKO might make some of the knowledge outdated.

Obviously, though, there is the speed hacking that will always look the same. In USKO; melees can also attack from impossible distances with cheat programs, this is typically easy to spot.

As for the places, Uruk Tron (and blade etc.) tend have some high level cheaters. Cardinals (CZ/Luff/El Morad) are places where gold farmers (but also casual cheaters) thrive.

Famous with cheats / a.f.k. exping are all exp spots with fast-dieing mobs. For usko this includes all uruk spots, apes, golems and spots around hellhounds, cardinals and for moradon all wolf-family-mobs. For golems chars usually act in groups, often have random-looking names and heal continously. Human players will always stay behind a bit, one time one, next time the other. I´ve never seen a machine act that way.

If you are able to test with an ingame-char, it will be quite obvious when you can hardly "z-r"-attack a mob while it is already dieing.

In borderwars all chars caught on screenshot in enemy base should be banned instantly and permanently. In chaos you might wanna switch off anonymity for players randomly every now and then (if that is possible) which will also lead to usable evidence.

And in invasion after wars.. just pick a random spot (doda/raon, bridge at harpies, bridge at apes) and you WILL see a mage fly by literally.

Of course: Chaos. I hope GMs can enter individuals instances, because the cheaters there are easy to spot as they walk through the walls. The problem with Chaos is that there is hardly any (at all?) level requirement, so a lvl 15 cheater can beat legit lvl 83 players easily with the help of cheats.

Ignore Me Senior Member

This is mean and funny.

But seriously just get the GM to PM them from a non GM account. And they will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Of course: Chaos. I hope GMs can enter individuals instances, because the cheaters there are easy to spot as they walk through the walls. The problem with Chaos is that there is hardly any (at all?) level requirement, so a lvl 15 cheater can beat legit lvl 83 players easily with the help of cheats.
    A few months ago i went through the wall in chaos chasing a cheater :P
    Hell i was surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by bleki View Post
    A few months ago i went through the wall in chaos chasing a cheater :P
    Hell i was surprised!
    Oh yes, bugs cause trouble when it comes to positively identifying cheaters; though cheaters will run through the walls anywhere, while legit players would hit the wall most of the places (had no idea such a bug existed in chaos, actually).

Quote Originally Posted by Futility View Post
    Since our forums are still under construction (but looking better already!) and I doubt there's a better repository of KO-related knowledge anywhere else on the web (in English anyway), I'd like to pick your brains for something.

We are currently in the process of drafting our GM guidelines, and as you may imagine a lot goes into this. Player input at this point is greatly appreciated. I've spent these past few days patrolling the game on a GM character, and I've seen a few obvious instances of unacceptable behaviour, but also a lot of instances that weren't obvious at all. So, what would you recommend our GMs look out for? Where can they go? How certain should they be, and what are possible sanity checks?

I'm sure you've had many ideas over the years about how to counteract cheating, and I hope you'll share them here.
    Probaly a stupid suggestion but i rmb in the old days a gm who used to tp the person to another spot if he looked suspicious. A normal player would probaly stop up and think wtf but a cheater would just carry on attacking i dunno :=) hope u figure out smth

Sir DooM* Senior Member DoomBringer's Avatar

Lvl 1 legit player can beat level 83 legit player.
    Level doesn't matter in Chaos you numbskull.
    Just cuz you're lvl 83 doesn't mean you're better than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBringer View Post
    Lvl 1 legit player can beat level 83 legit player.
    Level doesn't matter in Chaos you numbskull.
    Just cuz you're lvl 83 doesn't mean you're better than the rest.
    /facepalm

The point is that a lvl 15 can beat a lvl 83 because of cheats. That will not happen in any other PvP zone; there he will first have to cheat his way up to a higher level, which brings greater risks of getting banned, and it takes more effort. Easier to prevent, in other words.

i dont get your point, who cares what lvl u got at chaos? on chaos everybody got the same HP and skills to use...

Ignore Me Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by regiss View Post
    i dont get your point, who cares what lvl u got at chaos? on chaos everybody got the same HP and skills to use...
    His point is Chaos is the first place cheats cheat. And they cheat in an obvious way.
    GM time is best spent checking chaos. A cheat will show them self before they have the level to cheat in PK zones.

Quote Originally Posted by ashet View Post
    His point is Chaos is the first place cheats cheat. And they cheat in an obvious way.
    GM time is best spent checking chaos. A cheat will show them self before they have the level to cheat in PK zones.

Dunno if it's best spent, but I know it is one event where cheaters can be extra annoying; simply because your level and items count nothing (aka the time you've spent on the game), and so a cheater can with minimum effort can come and 'destroy' the event.

Indeed, one cheater that was banned during the previous chaos event could without problem be back for the next.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast