Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Felix
  • 1 Post By Strife
  • 1 Post By l911l
  • 1 Post By Kallop
  • 1 Post By SkyHunter
  • 1 Post By SkyHunter

Do I need to upgrade my old gaming rig?

This is a discussion on Do I need to upgrade my old gaming rig? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I've not gamed on PC for several years due to my back problems, preventing me from sitting and leaning forward ...
Page: 1

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

Default Do I need to upgrade my old gaming rig?

I've not gamed on PC for several years due to my back problems, preventing me from sitting and leaning forward to use a keyboard and mouse. I am having two back operations to help me combat the pain, so I don't have to use such a high level of opiates to control it. I have had a number of people ask me to play on their servers and/or share accounts with them. I also own an oldschool geared sin on one of the old USKO servers, but 911 and Skyhunter have both told me the server the char is located on is not that great and would piss me off pretty quickly.

My rig was built about 6 years ago and I use old high end parts that were overclocked. I was able to play KO with an FPS of around 100 with everything set to max. The rigs specs are as follows....

A Q9950 Quad Core running a 3.7 ghz
    AMD Radion 7850 DDR5 2GB
    DDR2 3200mhz 8GB

This is run on a twin PCIe 16 Asus board so I can use the X-Fire feature by putting in another 7850 (AMD's version of SLi) / I also have the same board that's setup to run an Nvidia SLI if need be.

I have a 3 64bit OS setup running, Windows 7 Ultimate , MacOS Snow Leopard , Ubuntu . If I remember correctly KO can only run on Windows ?

Other than KO, I would want to use this PC to play Final Fantasy 14 on, as my PS4 has limitations that mean when I am doing 8-24 man raids, I need to turn down some of the screen FX's otherwise I just can't see what the fuck is going on. Also while using a dual shock 4 controller is really easy for bread and butter stuff, the level of control and customisation I can get using a keyboard a mouse (which I can use on my PS4, but it's pointless because I can't sit for very long). The other game I would want to play is Kerbal Space Programme, which I know needs a much more current rig, so this would tip the scales in favor of building up a new rig.

I know the rig is really outdated for current games, but for 2 old engined MMO's I thought if I just put in two new graphics cards, I could get away with the older RAM and old multi thread core CPU. If I build a new rig, I would go pretty hardcore because I would love to play DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) which is one of the best military based combat flight and ground sims on the market. I know have a strong GPU with DDR6 or better RAM should be ok, as I remember KO use to be more about the GPU's ability, rather than using the CPU and RAM for the hardcore stuff.

Also I am thinking about giving Dumar my old rig if I upgrade and hope he would be able to join me in playing, that way zero would join the two of us in playing KO as we try and play games together when possible, but with so few games allowing both PS4 users and PC users play on the same servers, I've not been able to join them that often.

I wouldn't be hardcoring in KO at all, but to be able to play on a desktop again with my friends, both old and new for a few hours each week is worth coming back for a bit of oldschool KO pking.

Any honest advice would be really helpful, because since my health declined where I am not able to work or play on a desktop I have lost touch with what a solid rig should look like.

Felix
    l911l likes this.

That rig can play KO no problem (not sure about FF14) but if you plan on upgrading, you would need to do a complete new build. Right now GPU's are insanely expensive (at least 2x MSRP) due to crypto mining craze.
    Felix likes this.

The PC should be fine with what your running for Knight Online. I'm currently using a windows 10 - NVIDIA GEFORCE 940M / intel core i5 , it has been working fine so far. For knight online, you should be getting fraps around 180-200 range. You can manually adjust this as well through in-game (F10 Key). As for Final Fanatasy 14, Kerbal Space Programme, and Digital Combat Simulator, I'm not entirely sure because I don't know what specs are required for regular game play. Good luck, Dan !
    Felix likes this.

I would just stick with the old rig until the hubbub around crypto currency dies down a bit. GPU's are way too expensive right now, so upgrading to a new-ish rig would cost a fortune.
    Felix likes this.

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

eh, you could get a pretty substantial upgrade for like $800 but the GPU will be so expensive, unless youre in desperate times (or don't really mind spending the $)
    Felix likes this.

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

That's good to know thanks everyone. I had read about E-Coin miners going nuts for multi GPU based systems, but was unaware that it was so bad that even the gaming section or older gear was so badly effected.

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    That's good to know thanks everyone. I had read about E-Coin miners going nuts for multi GPU based systems, but was unaware that it was so bad that even the gaming section or older gear was so badly effected.
    before bitcoin blew up, the 970 was pretty good and was recommended for most builds, now you literally cannot buy it because of the fact that EVERYONE is using them for mining
    Felix likes this.