General questions about mages

This is a discussion on General questions about mages within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Thanks if you have the time to help me, I have a few questions. I've been thinking of making a ...
Page: 1

Default General questions about mages

Thanks if you have the time to help me, I have a few questions.

I've been thinking of making a mage, but many people tell me it's very hard to level. I've also heard a long time ago that Paper Mages are best to exp mage up till 80+? Is that true? Wouldn't they just die instantly? :S

Continuation of above question, so is int mage not good for exp or what?

I was thinking of going either lightning or fire mage, any reccomendations? i know fire does more dmg but it seems light is better cuz you just stun all the enemies and easy kills...

If I go paper mage, how many skill points do i put in everything? and the cloth armour i get, would it be with hp bonus or mp bonus?

Do female mages still cast faster than male mages? I believe this was a long time ago when I use d to play, and now that im coming back i have a lot of questions :S

also, i was hoping to be able to solo harpies / trons / etc for shards, md's, etc so i can make money because i don't want to baba... would the best to do this be ice for the constant slows or fire for the extra damages?

Any other general information or anything about mages would be really appreciated, I've never played mage before and so I'm totally new and would really appreciate some help. Thanks for the help

(im playing on USKO btw)
    Last edited by Xerath; 12-24-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerath View Post
    Thanks if you have the time to help me, I have a few questions.

I've been thinking of making a mage, but many people tell me it's very hard to level. I've also heard a long time ago that Paper Mages are best to exp mage up till 80+? Is that true? Wouldn't they just die instantly? :S

Continuation of above question, so is int mage not good for exp or what?

I was thinking of going either lightning or fire mage, any reccomendations? i know fire does more dmg but it seems light is better cuz you just stun all the enemies and easy kills...

If I go paper mage, how many skill points do i put in everything? and the cloth armour i get, would it be with hp bonus or mp bonus?

Do female mages still cast faster than male mages? I believe this was a long time ago when I use d to play, and now that im coming back i have a lot of questions :S

Any other general information or anything about mages would be really appreciated, I've never played mage before and so I'm totally new and would really appreciate some help. Thanks for the help
    Before telling you anything I'd wish to know a few things.
    - USKO / PSKO?
    - If PSKO, then what server?
    - Level cap?

as kallop said, all that matter what server you play and what cap it is I believe mostly mages are going 160int and the rest into mp (80+ lvl cap). Also depends what monsters you gonna kill, ice does more dmg than fire on EW's for example

yeah sorry just edited, im playing on USKO. also, @tobol, what's EW? is that a private server?

Senior Member ZiggZaggClickClack's Avatar

yeah sorry just edited, im playing on USKO. also, @tobol, what's EW? is that a private server?
    EW= Evil Wizard

EW = Evil Wizards.

Well if you're playing USKO you can reach 255 MP at lvl 83 so I think it's smart to go 160 INT for the best defensive armors you can get. You can also get quest completes to help you out, which require 160 INT to wear. For exp I'd say Fire / Ice or Ice / Light are your best options.

Oh ok. So do I just follow quest item stats for my stat points and put rest into mp? Nothing into hp, then? Also, do female mages still have better stats or faster casts compared to males? I'm thinking I'll probably go fire because you get slows from ice anyway, any more general help would really be appreciated

I haven't played KO for 5 years so my point of view might be outdated (I always played seriously only mages), but paper fire mage was the worst build you could go for high level exping. The problem is it takes so long to gain just few % that is absolutely not worth sacrificing your defense rating for the few hundred extra points of damage with AoE spells. It took like two hits to take u down fully buffed when exping at high level mobs. I also remember someone doing tests with builds and staffs and found out if you use the best possible INT staffs available (at that time at least), it has significantly decreased the difference between INT and paper mages damage. Lightning mage was always good only for PvP and unless some deru/apo and high level variations, these mages were undesirable in exping parties because their AoE spells were stunning harpies and other mobs which left some of them behind and completly broke the lure. The build I'd go for If I were you would be 160 int (I think it was required for Complete +7 armors) and rest goes into MP. The idea is you want to have just enough INT to equip yourself with best armors/staff u can get and rest going into MP for damage. You can always be kind of a douche and instead of MP you can invest all those spare points into Health and hope your low damage will not be noticed in a party. Once you get few times with health below 100 on high levels, you will acknowledge paper would not be a good idea. Whether INT fire or ice is up to you. Personally I always loved ice mage because of his ability to lure mobs on his own without any other ice mage in a party and his ability to slow people down in PvP and if nothing, at least canceling their swifts was always evil fun to me.
    Now that I remember I think the half-xp after lvl 61 might have been canceled in recent years, but I am not sure about that information. Regarding the difference between genders I think the INT disadvantage of males has been removed and since I always played female mage (who wants to stare at muscular body type anyway???) I can't say a thing about the speed of casting.

I just came here randomly because it's holidays and of course I've got nothing better to do ^^. I occasionally think about trying out the game once again, but I feel like the game is burned out in my soul. I have lot's of memories but minimal will to delve into that game again. Even more considering how declining the game has been even back when I used to play.

Well you might find out very quickly that the game is not what it used to be. You will have to get krowaz +6 +7 and fulitol+7 at least to do anything on mage. Even with that gear you'll probably get raped hard in cz. But yeah.. I don't think there's much you can do about that. You will need iron set and flame rings to tank and to deal more damage. Be prepared to invest either a lot of time and/or money in to USKO.

honestly i was hoping to be able to solo harpies / trons / etc for shards, md's, etc so i can make money because i don't want to baba... would the best to do this be ice for the constant slows or fire for the extra damages?

also really debating the two because ice seems really cheap, which is good cuz i wont be babaing... but is it worth the cheapness? i wouldnt want to be ice mage if they take a really long time to solo or are just generally really weak...

You can solo harpys with +7 elixir staff and old flame rings, if u are 60+. go for 60 fire aoe then 45 ice so u will be able to use 3 aoes as 60/45/33 fire and 45/33 ice ones. U can do well if u solid the harpys,trones till u get ur blizzard(45aoe).

I would say go for fire, coz u can make more dmg on players and on monsters even with old rings then +3 shios. I've tested a lot of things as paper and int gears, and i recommend u to get crimson (160int) 1 to str to use +0 cs/ss (51str) and rest in MP. If u are planning to go 80+ you have to get krowaz armor. A set gives u set bonus wich is like 400 ~500hp/mp and a lots of others.

If you dont want to baba then it gonna be hard to u. Try to farm Uruk hai's, Uruk blade's, and uruk trones. They have the best drop rates for MS(monster stone). Its a dungeon where u can get in with this stone, and in the end theres a boss wich has a small chance to drop you an OLD unique item. You can also farm Harpyz for mirage dagger/ii/shard and u have also big chance to get MS. If you have 70+ lvl char you can go to ED (eslant dungeon) where you can get gems. BDW 20~78 at 50+ lvl u can get red chest if ur party win.Forgotten temple under 60 gives u greem/ above 60 gives u blue chest!. If you are good at CHAOS then u have chance to earn red/green/blue chests also

I hope it helped u a lot. And sorry for my english, not my main language