Help picking a laptop

This is a discussion on Help picking a laptop within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I'm looking at buying a laptop and wanted to know which is better. All I want to use it for ...
Page: 1

Shawntay

Default Help picking a laptop

I'm looking at buying a laptop and wanted to know which is better. All I want to use it for is Diablo 3 and surfing the net. Whats the difference bewteen the two. Also what is the wlan: Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 a/b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED mean? Thanks

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS8730G-6681 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR2 667 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - Laptops / Notebooks
    or
    Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5739G-6132 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M - Laptops / Notebooks

first
    too bad i have quad core try and get it

evilwevel

Quote Originally Posted by Shawntay View Post
    what is the wlan: Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 a/b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED mean?
    it means your wireless card is able to connect to a device using different standards (a/b/g/n) each of these has a different data rate and band.

it basically just says you'll be able to connect to any wireless network today, whatever standard they use (like every other laptop out there )

and i'd go for the first one, but i'm not sure if it will be able to play Diablo 3 well.

Shawntay

Quote Originally Posted by evilwevel View Post
    it means your wireless card is able to connect to a device using different standards (a/b/g/n) each of these has a different data rate and band.

it basically just says you'll be able to connect to any wireless network today, whatever standard they use (like every other laptop out there )

and i'd go for the first one, but i'm not sure if it will be able to play Diablo 3 well.
    What if I have g routor and I get a N wireless card to put into my laptop...will it still work better then it did before without the N wireless card?

evilwevel

a G standard router is only able to transmit on a certain band and at a certain frequency.

having a N wireless card wouldn't do anything. most N wireless cards are backwards compatible with other standards so you'll be transferring data following the G standard.

you'll be able to use the N standard if you get a router that also supports N.

okay if were talking about the comp running ability.

I like them both.

The first is heavier which is a down side so it means it has a harder time keeping the CPU cool. But the graphics card is better which is +. The screen is bigger if it makes a difference to u. Also the battery life on the 1st is 8 lithium ion which is longer than the 2nd.

What ever fits ur budget atm.

1st one will work better for Diablo 3.

I would preferably take this computer any day over the Acer, 50$ more but i wud take this.

It's quiet, keeps cool which the acer DOES NOT, Free Windows 7 Upgrade.

MAaybe consider this

second one because the screen on the first one is TOO big and the graphics card and the ram memory seem to be better on the second one.
    oh and the 1st one is too heavy, not a good portable laptop. if u buy a laptop only for desktop use, why not go for cheaper and more reliable desktop pc...
    Last edited by rock08; 08-25-2009 at 07:48 PM.

vo0doman

laptops aren't made for gaming, more like movies or surfing, mainly surfing.

go look at a gateway or asus for cheap and good laptops
    or u can checkout xotic pc. http://www.xoticpc.com/

Tobi

I can tell you that, you should keep away from ACER They always have trouble with the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by vo0doman View Post
    laptops aren't made for gaming, more like movies or surfing, mainly surfing.
    I disagree i have a sager laptop and its easily better then my desktop for gamin just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by WeeWillie View Post
    I disagree i have a sager laptop and its easily better then my desktop for gamin just sayin
    A 3 year old desktop will not run faster than most brand new laptops or whatever the case may be (it all depends on the parts).

New Laptop parts cost twice as much and are half as powerfull compared to their desktop versions, this is why people don't reccomend laptops for heavy gaming.

sacrid

the more expensive one