Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to not get scammed

This is a discussion on How to not get scammed within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Due to common sense not being so common on these forums and a recent wave of major scams... here is ...
Page: 1

Banned

Default How to not get scammed

Due to common sense not being so common on these forums and a recent wave of major scams... here is a trading tutorial. Feel free to reply with suggestions on things to add.

Sellers Point of View
    1. Make your topic.
      • Create your selling topic. Do not leave contact information such as MSN emails in your selling topics. This invites scammers to directly add you from fake accounts claiming to be other people.

2. Wait for reply.
      • You will sell your items, it is only a matter of time. Do NOT jump the gun and trade with someone with no vouchers and just recently joined the forum (3-4 months). Scammers target impatient people because they are in a rush and do not think things clearly through before making decisions.

3. When contacted by buyer.
      • Check registration date. If it is less then 4-5 months then ignore him, unless he/she has vouchers.
      • Check signature. If there are no vouchers in his signature then ask him to provide at least 2-3 reputable vouchers to PM you on forum. If there are vouchers in his signature then PM the vouchers on his list. If vouchers don't check out, then report the user and ignore his offer.
      • Check recent topics/posts. If the other two steps above check out and no one acusses him of scamming in his topics then you got the green light to reply and negociate a deal. Remember do not give out your contact information, request it from him/her.

4. Ask buyer for contact information.
      • Google his contact email (usually msn). If nothing comes up then that's a negative. People leave digital footprints, it is unavoidable. Myspace, facebook, or any time you post your e-mail. A legit e-mail will have a few results. An unreliable email will have either no results or a list of scams or bad reputation as the result. If e-mail doesn't check out, then ignore the buyer.

5. Confirm contact information.
      • Ask him on MSN to confirm his KO4Life profile by sending you a message. If he/she checks out, then continue negotiating the trade; otherwise, block and report him.

6. Buyer always goes first with payment.
      • NEVER EVER go first if you are the seller unless the seller is more sketchy looking then the buyer. This part requires better judgment in order to avoid being scammed.

7. Seller, delivers the goods.
      • At this point you have nothing to worry about except for keeping your part of the bargin. Give the buyer what he payed for.

Buyers Point of View
    1. Comming soon!

Dealing with PayPal
    Before reading this take to note that there is no 100% way of preventing a charge back. This is the safest way and gives you a fighting chance.
    1. Always use payment owed option.
      • Send -> Personal -> Payment Owed
      • Doesn't really prevent charge backs or anything, but it makes it so there are no fee's (depending on location).

2. Attach a note.
      • Make it say something like...
        money for virtual gold bars for the game knight online, i have received item before payment was sent
      • It says you gave the item first but DO NOT give the item first. Just make sure it says you did. This way when they charge back you can tell a paypal claim reports agent that you gave the item before payment was received. Therefore, your proof of delivery.

3. Transfer money to bank right after transaction.
      • If they do somehow charge back, your last option is to cut off your bank account so paypal cant get the money. You will not be able to link a new account with that bank account.

Click here to see what my paypal transactions history looks like. That is how it should look.

gg guide i would say
    hope it helps peoples out

off topic : spelled my name wrong in your sig

Quote Originally Posted by dondergek View Post
    Dealing with PayPal
    1. Attach a note.
      • Make it say something like...
      • It says you gave the item first but DO NOT give the item first. Just make sure it says you did. This way when they charge back you can tell a paypal claim reports agent that you gave the item before payment was received. Therefore, your proof of delivery.

I have a question: I've noticed that when buyers send me money, my paypal automaticly accept it, so even if i ask ppl to say "money for virtual gold bars..." they can choose not to, and paypal will automaticly accept it anyway without me wanting to.
    I looked for options to change this but couldn't find, any1 knows where to change this option?

Quote Originally Posted by Desire View Post
    I have a question: I've noticed that when buyers send me money, my paypal automaticly accept it, so even if i ask ppl to say "money for virtual gold bars..." they can choose not to, and paypal will automaticly accept it anyway without me wanting to.
    I looked for options to change this but couldn't find, any1 knows where to change this option?
    their is no option for this, however, you can refund the payment, and tell the person paying you to do as you say or you will just keep refunding.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Icyy View Post
    gg guide i would say
    hope it helps peoples out

off topic : spelled my name wrong in your sig
    It's fixed now, scrub.
    Last edited by dondergek; 06-23-2010 at 06:57 AM.

SavingGrace

This should be pinnet ^^

but dont forget..
    scammers can read this post.. and make multiple acounts.. and multiple e-mails..
    and make fake posts and reply with other account. and they have a voucher..
    if they do that a few times. thay have a account that has multiple vouchers and look like a trusted member.

reptile

Wrong section and on a sidenote there is no safe way to trade with paypal.
    Buyer can always get the money back if he has some know-how.

actually it is quite easy for a seller to win the case if they are smart enough to keep all the records

from msn logs to the in game trade itself.

bumpin this up

Beast of KO Senior Member bludcore's Avatar

Yeah.... that part where you google their email doesn't work, i tried googling my own yahoo email and nothing came up so GG.

some ppl use name [at] domain.com so you wont find it out, tbh you could use ip stealer so you can know the location of your buyer + google ip too, i refused like 2/3 ppl but still got scammed twice

I'm a real noob at doing deals 4 USD, so this guide was pretty handy, ty!

Quote Originally Posted by thesmallone101 View Post
    agreed
    nice guide helped me 2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bludcore View Post
    Yeah.... that part where you google their email doesn't work, i tried googling my own yahoo email and nothing came up so GG.
    It will not always show results for everyone. Must people leave their e-mails on help columns or facebook. Some people are more careful not to post their e-mails publicly or use 10 different e-mails. In that case, a legit person can look bad as well. It's all about making a good judgment call.

It's better to check before trading then to be sorry afterwords, you never know what you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmallone101 View Post
    No prob =D

Quote Originally Posted by reptile View Post
    Wrong section and on a sidenote there is no safe way to trade with paypal.
    Buyer can always get the money back if he has some know-how.
    This is the right section. On a side note, I pretty much used those exact words in the guide when I said that "nothing is 100%".

Realsies

It seems pretty much common sense. It's amazing that you'd have to post this, but it's nice for those people who aren't really playing with a full deck. xD

dumb warrýon Senior Member Fridulin's Avatar

i am sorry but vouchers doesnt proof anything. there are alot players who would vouche for clannies or good players without have done any trades with them. this have been done several times allready.
    an old registrationdate just means that this account exists a certain time and didnt do anythin bad yet but players changes and alot players think that "old" players are good guns and never scam. this is basicly wrong and have been proofen several times too.

if u dont want to get scammed u need to check three rules at all:

1. rule:
    never trade items before getting your money at ur bank account or in ur hands.

2. rule:
    dont use payment systems which can get recharged like PayPal. payment systems like western union or direct bank account transfer are safe. there u get whole names and they cant get recharged.

3. rule:
    dont use any account with shared informations. after buying an account change ALL infos before u trade somethin to ur new account. also u shouldnt tell account infos to anybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. Hits: 1
    02-28-2016, 01:25 AM