Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Idea: An Item Ownership System

This is a discussion on Idea: An Item Ownership System within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; If you've played KO for any amount of time, then like myself you have probably lost one or more things ...
Page: 1

Auria

If you've played KO for any amount of time, then like myself you have probably lost one or more things of considerable value to people you thought you could trust. In my case, I lost a CS+7 about a year ago, and recently a ROC+1. In both cases the loss occurred within the clan.

The result is that I don't want to loan things anymore, but that detracts from the fun of the game. Yes there are a lot of selfish and unethical people in the game, but I for one enjoy helping others succeed, and I know there are others like me in the game because I have met them.

I've given this a lot of thought, and I propose the following idea. It is simple, elegant, easy to implement, easy to use, and would add tremendous positive aspects to the game. It is described below; let me know what you think.

The fundamental idea is to add a method, similar to Seal/Unseal, to Own/Unown an item, and an "Owned Item" can be retrieved by its owner back into the owner's inventory.

Here are my thoughts on the details of how this would work. It is, in effect, a relatively straightforward upgrade of the Seal/Unseal system:
    1. An Owned Item would be clearly identified with a special marking, similar to the way sealed items are shaded, and when you hover over them, they would indicate the owner, like "Owned by Kitaura".
    2. An Owned Item may only be equipped, traded, or stored in the inn. Specifically, an Owned Item may not be merchanted, destroyed, upgraded, or compounded.
    3. An Owned Item put up in trade should be clearly marked as owned.
    4. A player may pull up a list of his or her Owned Items. The list will show who is currently holding the item.
    5. A player may at any time retrieve an Owned Item back into his or her own inventory. When this occurs, the player who held the item when it was retrieved will be notified by some means that the owner has retrieved the item (perhaps via the letter system already in place).

This would be incredibly simple to implement, and consider the fantastic things it would make possible:
    • My buddy wants to borrow my CS+7 for the war. Maybe I don't know him all that well. Maybe I won't be around when the war is over to get it back, but I want it three hours from now when I plan to go PK. I mark it as owned, trade it to him, and when I logon three hours later, simply retrieve it.
    • Maybe a guy has a glass belt and I have an iron belt, and he thinks maybe he would like my iron belt instead, but he's not sure how it will affect the character, if any at all. I simply mark it as owned, let him try it for a few days, and then retrieve it when I feel like he's had enough time to evaluate it.
    • This would be a fantastic way for clans that keep clan banks to keep from having items stolen. The clan leader could mark items as owned, always know where they are, and retrieve them if necessary.
    • How many times have you asked or been asked: "Can I just hold it for a minute to see how it affects my AP/AC/HP/etc.?" Usually the answer is "No freakin way, dude!" LOL. With Owned Items this would be trivial.

Finally, there is a more advanced possibility that brings even more dynamics. In #2 above I indicated that an Owned Item should not be merchantable. Suppose, on the other hand, that an Owned Item is merchantable, but must have a time period attached. At the end of the time period, the item can be retrieved by the owner, but not before. In other words, it's a way of implementing a loans systems!

For example, let's say I put a ROC+1 up in merchant for 100M, with a time period of 10 days. PlayerX buys it, and for 10 days it's his to use. I cannot retrieve it until the time period is up. So, PlayerX effectively paid 10M per day for the use of a ROC+1 for 10 days. This would make higher level items accessible to players who otherwise cannot afford or obtain them yet, and it would add a whole new dynamic to the economy of the game!

Okay, comments please.

K2, are you listening?

whocares21

+1

Cadence96

Nice idea. But maybe people will find a way to dupe those items.

A new scam would born...
    When people trade and then cancel the trade, they can replace the old item for an owned item, and then get it back like a boomerang.

ArminVanBuuren

I just read the whoooooole post, and even if a bit confusing at the beginning, I think it is actually a good idea...as you said, would be some kind of advantage inside the clans, in which maybe some member has something another one would need, but cannot trust him 100%...so that would help creating an item balance inside the clans...however, in some way wouldn't work since K2 is the most buggy game I've ever known, so a brilliant idea could end up buggin' even more the damn thing...hopefully, some day some other game could improve this.

^_^

Finally, there is a more advanced possibility that brings even more dynamics. In #2 above I indicated that an Owned Item should not be merchantable. Suppose, on the other hand, that an Owned Item is merchantable, but must have a time period attached. At the end of the time period, the item can be retrieved by the owner, but not before. In other words, it's a way of implementing a loans systems!

For example, let's say I put a ROC+1 up in merchant for 100M, with a time period of 10 days. PlayerX buys it, and for 10 days it's his to use. I cannot retrieve it until the time period is up. So, PlayerX effectively paid 10M per day for the use of a ROC+1 for 10 days. This would make higher level items accessible to players who otherwise cannot afford or obtain them yet, and it would add a whole new dynamic to the economy of the game![/b]
    This part is already there, just not implemented because the Item Rental Scrolls can not be obtained at the time being. As for the rest, it's a good idea except that I would say only the "owner" of the item can trade it to somebody...thus to prevent somebody from borrowing your item and then selling it to someone for 20gbs thru trade, then that person losing the item when the owner retrieves it. But if they would just fix the item rental npc and keep it from opening up a dupe method again, all would be good.

Ancient noob Senior Member

genius. love it. hope to see it. can't think of any reason why anybody would flame it. if they do, then shame on them.

Auria

A new scam would born...
    When people trade and then cancel the trade, they can replace the old item for an owned item, and then get it back like a boomerang.[/b]
    Hence the reason for #3.

Question everything. Senior Member josri's Avatar

ain't there some npc called rental items or something?

Maybe k2 tried to make such things

A new scam would born...
    When people trade and then cancel the trade, they can replace the old item for an owned item, and then get it back like a boomerang.[/b]
    Im sure someone would find a way how to dupe with this 100% but beside that i like the idea.

Auria

This part is already there, just not implemented because the Item Rental Scrolls can not be obtained at the time being. As for the rest, it's a good idea except that I would say only the "owner" of the item can trade it to somebody...thus to prevent somebody from borrowing your item and then selling it to someone for 20gbs thru trade, then that person losing the item when the owner retrieves it. But if they would just fix the item rental npc and keep it from opening up a dupe method again, all would be good.[/b]
    Hence the reason for #3: An owned item put up in trade would need to be very clearly marked as owned.

After that, if someone pays 20gb for an Owned Item, it's the buyer's fault, not the system's fault.

yes good... but still, don't share items or account if you don't want to get scammed

Auria

Im sure someone would find a way how to dupe with this 100% but beside that i like the idea.[/b]
    I don't know, I think this would actually cut down on duping. Think about it. An Owned/Sealed item requires more diligent tracking in the database, and therefore will be far less subject to abuse.

Of course, wouldn't it be interesting if I loan a CS+7, and when I retrieve it, I get five of them back! :lol:

But, seriously, I think this would make duping harder, not easier.

And, it's easier than the crazy rental scroll system. Hell this is almost a drop-in replacement for Seal/Unseal; very little code would need to be written compared to other crazy ideas I've heard.

ArminVanBuuren

Could make duping a bit harder, but think than every patch that K2 releases screw something new...and most of the time we don't even realize 'till they disable the feature due to the bug abusing...and I think even being hard to dupe, this system would be in danger too as far as K2 runs this game (even the original released by MGames is pretty buggy -_- )

PS: Forgot to add...even if K2 reads this, those features are implemented only by MGames, being K2's work only to reprogram everything to fit in the version they are running, so the idea (to be implemented) should be communicated to MGames directly, not K2.

Banned

Yep is good idea but new dupe methods can start

lets say that i mark an IN owned by me, can i take it off so its not owned by me anymore?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast