Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

KO Worthwhile?

This is a discussion on KO Worthwhile? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; no way is it worthwhile rofl... only good thing about the game is selling items for usd...
Page: 3

Boyce

no way is it worthwhile rofl...
    only good thing about the game is selling items for usd

Okay lets break it down.
    1) Edana was out in 2006 there were 3 servers on each with a server cap of 10k per server, the point at which you needed to have premium to enter, today 1250 cap on each.
    2) They did not pay for the expansion it came with there license from mgames.
    3) They did not purchase Japko Mgames did, k2 has nothign to do with Japko.
    4) They did not buy any new servers they re used all the ones that used to be server 3's.
    5) KO is the most popular game at k2 it is not the one mgames cares about ( be carfeul to differentiate between k2 ( the host) and Mgmaes the developer.
    6) Yes lots of new things to spend money on Plat, Pus items and long term premium which is k2 maxing out the profitabilty.

Ask anyone that worked for k2 in the past about the numbers, they are way down every expansion that I have ever seen Knight Empire, Fire Drake, Bitfrost has always had a new server come with it, this expansion there was no need as demand was not there for new players coming onboard just existing players wanting a fresh start.

This is just an opinion to discuss I personally think that as long as there is profit to be made than it will continue, only thing that could mess that up is Mgames who in fact are the owners of the game and license k2 to host and run it, or if enough players reach the end of the line with the bugs and decide to quit.[/b]
    Again you say numbers as if they are fact, yet you don't back them up with where or how you arrived at the numbers (show some sort of a tracker, article, etc. because your no authority with any sort of reliability). Lets go over a couple of the points you say:

1. Edena 10k each server. The only time it was EVER maxed was when it was new. Same as nearly ALL new servers and not any server was maxed for long during US times let alone 2/3, how do I know, I logged most new servers from Oly on and never paid prem, experience > made up stats? Currently during Turk times ALL servers aside from CWest are maxed currently with Prem subscribers at double the server numbers of your original date of 06. And again many using Plat over the previous general users on Bronze (or free) from your dates at 3x the price (please include all the new PUS being used regularly).

2. You say MGames doesn't care about KO, why in the hell would they then get JPKO, again ur logic and deductions don't jive (Koreans pay for a game they think is worthless...ya ok, if you read any articles on Korean or Chinese banking you know it's impossible to get those countries and companies to send monies out of their countries). MGames isn't going to axe K2, do you know what the economy is like in Korea? Your high if you think they are giving up anything that makes them profit or they can generate revues from (in this kind of economy and at free labor rates - come on man use ur noodle). You mention the problems with places like BF and those bugs, BF is particularly hard to fix because they just can't get rid of programmers constantly coming up with new fixes - farming for frags and ultima every single night we were on - easy cash for any farmers). If you think Anti Virus companies don't have problems with new Viruses and Hax then you get where I am coming from. As long as marcoers can make money they will invest their time and efforts in hacking games (its free money (been going on since atari and commador 64 in the 80's) in a world where money is just about everything and many haxors have none). I think you confuse the problem with them giving up and somehow they equate to the same thing, I doubt it.

3. Your sources are fired employees, bitter low paid and frustrated or none? I imagine so. Again I think ur lopsided wishes are those of someone who doesn't like this game or possibly someone who has taken advantages that probably shouldn't have. KO has a decent subscription rate that is way over profitable for the amount of care and attention that is needed to keep it going, and like I said, I don't believe your predictions nor do I think that this latest expansion gels with your theories. The KO site alone is worth over a million dollars just because of the traffic it generates and I'm not talking about K2's site.

Finally most games have a projected life rate but current MMO's are sort of a new market in the world of gaming. People like KO not because of all the bugs (nor the scammers and shit talking retards) but because of the game itself, it's graphics, pvp, MMO and style of gaming. For these reasons and it's market niches (like it's popularity in Turkey) it will continue. Of course it needs help, you can't say that they haven't worked on their CS and their BBB ranking, and again, if they didn't care at all, why bother with anything...

lime

Forgotten Frontiers is an attraction to get quit players back..
    Espescially those who sold their items for USD..
    You get items like for free...
    at 60 you get shellset +7 and hgi hcalss wep at +6[/b]
    and if you really know what your doing you get free avedons, HBs, SS, IN, IB etc the from chaotic, oooor you could just go buy asll the decent stuff from merchant for just 100k ooooor you could just go rent other peoples items and bug them and never give them back oooor just go kill scorpians and get chitin shields galore ooooorrr...

you get the point.

draviste

Again you say numbers as if they are fact, yet you don't back them up with where or how you arrived at the numbers (show some sort of a tracker, article, etc. because your no authority with any sort of reliability). Lets go over a couple of the points you say:

1. Edena 10k each server. The only time it was EVER maxed was when it was new. Same as nearly ALL new servers and not any server was maxed for long during US times let alone 2/3, how do I know, I logged most new servers from Oly on and never paid prem, experience > made up stats? Currently during Turk times ALL servers aside from CWest are maxed currently with Prem subscribers at double the server numbers of your original date of 06. And again many using Plat over the previous general users on Bronze (or free) from your dates at 3x the price (please include all the new PUS being used regularly).

2. You say MGames doesn't care about KO, why in the hell would they then get JPKO, again ur logic and deductions don't jive (Koreans pay for a game they think is worthless...ya ok, if you read any articles on Korean or Chinese banking you know it's impossible to get those countries and companies to send monies out of their countries). MGames isn't going to axe K2, do you know what the economy is like in Korea? Your high if you think they are giving up anything that makes them profit or they can generate revues from (in this kind of economy and at free labor rates - come on man use ur noodle). You mention the problems with places like BF and those bugs, BF is particularly hard to fix because they just can't get rid of programmers constantly coming up with new fixes - farming for frags and ultima every single night we were on - easy cash for any farmers). If you think Anti Virus companies don't have problems with new Viruses and Hax then you get where I am coming from. As long as marcoers can make money they will invest their time and efforts in hacking games (its free money (been going on since atari and commador 64 in the 80's) in a world where money is just about everything and many haxors have none). I think you confuse the problem with them giving up and somehow they equate to the same thing, I doubt it.

3. Your sources are fired employees, bitter low paid and frustrated or none? I imagine so. Again I think ur lopsided wishes are those of someone who doesn't like this game or possibly someone who has taken advantages that probably shouldn't have. KO has a decent subscription rate that is way over profitable for the amount of care and attention that is needed to keep it going, and like I said, I don't believe your predictions nor do I think that this latest expansion gels with your theories. The KO site alone is worth over a million dollars just because of the traffic it generates and I'm not talking about K2's site.

Finally most games have a projected life rate but current MMO's are sort of a new market in the world of gaming. People like KO not because of all the bugs (nor the scammers and shit talking retards) but because of the game itself, it's graphics, pvp, MMO and style of gaming. For these reasons and it's market niches (like it's popularity in Turkey) it will continue. Of course it needs help, you can't say that they haven't worked on their CS and their BBB ranking, and again, if they didn't care at all, why bother with anything...[/b]
    You need to read carefully, I mentioned Edna as coming out in 2006 as you said the newest server in 2006 was olympia nothing about ednas server load but all the servers at the time. I dont know why also you refer to x employees of k2 as imbittered and underpaid, unless you have spoken to x employees or are privay to there pay structure your just speculating. You refer to numbers, anyone who has been around for along times knows numbers for the server loads from 2005 through the end of 2006 from the old rankings site which had all the numbers like kingofknights site for server loads, so it is easy to compare the server loads from than to what they are today if you still have the old numbers. I think your opinion of lopsided wishes are your opinion alone and nont really based in reality, I hope the game continues for along time I have a number of friends that enjoy the game and I do not want too see it end, I still have a level 81 character as well that I play from time to time I posted what I posted to discuss, to me (in my opinion), and my opinion only) there are some warnignflags going up about how long this game will last. Working on BBB and CS is k2 nothing to do with mgames.

And your speculation that they are wildly profitable is just that speculation, whats there profit? you say they are profitable, okay so how much? and please dont throw out baseless comparisons like what it costs to run a private server with myabe 100 person load no cc processing no cs no overhead. Come on no conjecture and speculation atleast try and throw out a fact or two and keep it on topic not some of the stuff you mentioned about getting money out of China or the economy in Korea. Without knowing the cost of the licensing agreement with mgames per year, staffing, bandwidth, office, overhead you have no idea what there break even point is, and with k2 being a private company they do not release there numbers to the general public

These are the facts there has been no fixes to the game it is bug filled and Mgames has not done anything to fix it as you saw from the references to the official forums root admin posts. The number of people playing this game are down ( I know you believe that this staement is untrue but it is what it is). The license for Japko was taken over by Mgames. Mgames has recently opened an office in Turkey ( what does that mean for the future, mgames runs no games directed at Turkey except for KO and KO is run by k2) so why would they open an office in Turkey?

I hope the game stays strong and healthy I enjoyed my time and still like to check in from time to time, this is just my two cents literally worth two cents, and it is as much specualtion as your own comments

Ganadorph Senior Member

do not come back to KO it sucks unless ur really addicted... WoW just got their latest patch and its pretty cool plus WoW pvp beats KO pvp big time

Record

Is any game worthwhile? Unless its Counter-Strike where ur sponsered up the ass getting paid to play, no game is worthwhile.

You need to read carefully, I mentioned Edna as coming out in 2006 as you said the newest server in 2006 was olympia nothing about ednas server load but all the servers at the time. I dont know why also you refer to x employees of k2 as imbittered and underpaid, unless you have spoken to x employees or are privay to there pay structure your just speculating. You refer to numbers, anyone who has been around for along times knows numbers for the server loads from 2005 through the end of 2006 from the old rankings site which had all the numbers like kingofknights site for server loads, so it is easy to compare the server loads from than to what they are today if you still have the old numbers. I think your opinion of lopsided wishes are your opinion alone and nont really based in reality, I hope the game continues for along time I have a number of friends that enjoy the game and I do not want too see it end, I still have a level 81 character as well that I play from time to time I posted what I posted to discuss, to me (in my opinion), and my opinion only) there are some warnignflags going up about how long this game will last. Working on BBB and CS is k2 nothing to do with mgames.

And your speculation that they are wildly profitable is just that speculation, whats there profit? you say they are profitable, okay so how much? and please dont throw out baseless comparisons like what it costs to run a private server with myabe 100 person load no cc processing no cs no overhead. Come on no conjecture and speculation atleast try and throw out a fact or two and keep it on topic not some of the stuff you mentioned about getting money out of China or the economy in Korea. Without knowing the cost of the licensing agreement with mgames per year, staffing, bandwidth, office, overhead you have no idea what there break even point is, and with k2 being a private company they do not release there numbers to the general public

These are the facts there has been no fixes to the game it is bug filled and Mgames has not done anything to fix it as you saw from the references to the official forums root admin posts. The number of people playing this game are down ( I know you believe that this staement is untrue but it is what it is). The license for Japko was taken over by Mgames. Mgames has recently opened an office in Turkey ( what does that mean for the future, mgames runs no games directed at Turkey except for KO and KO is run by k2) so why would they open an office in Turkey?

I hope the game stays strong and healthy I enjoyed my time and still like to check in from time to time, this is just my two cents literally worth two cents, and it is as much specualtion as your own comments[/b]

I did read your post carefully and now your essentially changing what you said or at least backing off of your "facts." You essentially said that this game was going to be over in 2009, now you are saying your hope is that isn't. If you honestly felt that it would, why would you possibly still be playing, let alone leveling a character at 81 lol. See, it's that your words are just full of holes. The many points I am picking at are ones you still use vagaries and generalities, not proof. Saying "numbers are down" and going from an unsubstantiated 10k per server to 1250 max on 6 new servers x2 without saying where this is from just doesn't cut it. It isn't my job to prove you right or wrong, you posted and I don't believe you based on logic and deduction. If I go on to download.com (cnet) and look at the 10million downloads of FireDrake last year, it doesn't prove anything really but something that would get 10million DL's in one year (not to mention the other 6 or so DL sites with over 1.5 mil each or more) is obviously worth something that isn't dead. If you gave me links to reports, posts from employees, memo's, public releases, articles on gaming sites and things of this nature, I would consider your theories to have some true relevance, but you don't.

My speculation as to the ex employees was based on the secret nature of your sources. My personal experience of living in Silicon Valley for half my life is from people who work in the industry of gaming, personal family and friends. Money in most of these companies is made at the top and the grunt work doesn't pay shit. Game programmers and testers generally work for lower wages then most other software companies and only work at these places because they love gaming and like getting paid to work at those companies. I remember when a friend of mine working at Sega as a beta tester left, he was all bitter saying the company turned to shit, but what does that mean. You get my point? I don't take a random opinion from sour ex employee as gospel on the entire company. Now if you said the CEO of K2 sent a quoted memo to his employees saying "KO has lost 1/2 its population in the last year and we aren't going to service it anymore" I might think you had something there. Again, I back up what I am saying with the introduction of the new expansion, the article recently posted on the main site "from the producer" and the fact that they had a major public announcement last year of major investments made into the company. Also you are incorrect about the servers they are currently using, these were rented and then last year they purchased them out right. There was a massive amount of problems during the switch over and they had announcements about them on the main KO forums.

Here's just a few links that I feel reflect more of a truth then your opinions that I still don't see backed up by anything reliable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Online

http://mmogdata.voig.com/

http://mmogdata.voig.com/voig/ContentList/...s&a5Years=Y

Again the game may have peeked in popularity, esp in USA and declined since 07 but not 06 since 07 was a rise. Again add the plat prem and more constantly used PUS items and I doubt the profits are much different now compared to then. I think you have some feelings and wanted to voice them but tried to back them up with mystery stats and unverifiable inside contacts to back up ur negative view of things. I don't think KO is on the rise but I do see it being around a long time even if the older players come and go...

dragunmaster

is it me or is there a post like this atleast once a week?

it just seems funny to me a new person every week "is ko worth coming back to? I played BACK IN THE DAY"

tommyleonghk

Ask anyone at k2 about Mgames and there view on the future of ko, k2 just hosts this game, there tech staff are able to maintain the servers and do minor changes to the game but after that they k2 are just a hosting company if you really want to know about KO's future contact Mgames hell they have an office near k2.
    SoSorry your in denile about your gaming future, and who gives ashit about grammer fuk face get the fuk off my nuts, it is my opinion based on some insider information and basic logic.[/b]
    if mgames or k2 doesnt give a shit....why would they release the new patch Forgotten Frontiers? dont tell me so that they can make more money before closing down.... if they are makin more money....why would they wanna close down KO? everything has an end to it ...so does KO but wont be that soon ..... they wont go through all that problems to come up with a new patch just before they want to close it.... dont see any logic in this.... I estimate the game will run for another 2-4 yrs or maybe longer... depending on the income that this game has brought K2....

just before when myko closed, the dupe was out of control, everyone was tbl editing (even priests can wear warrior shells), the hacks were tremendous, can barely see GMs online maybe once a month, CS tickets were basically useless, egames didnt give a shit about that game and just wanted to make the most out of it before calling it an end... hence stupid promotions were released (topping up points comes with free +8 weapons armors uniques) if this happened in usko...then yeah... ko will close very soon

@ draviste : are you still playing KO?

and to all whoever said WoW pvp > KO pvp.... can quit this forum and quit ko and just go play on wow :lol:

if mgames or k2 doesnt give a shit....why would they release the new patch Forgotten Frontiers? dont tell me so that they can make more money before closing down.... if they are makin more money....why would they wanna close down KO? everything has an end to it ...so does KO but wont be that soon ..... they wont go through all that problems to come up with a new patch just before they want to close it.... dont see any logic in this.... I estimate the game will run for another 2-4 yrs or maybe longer... depending on the income that this game has brought K2....

just before when myko closed, the dupe was out of control, everyone was tbl editing (even priests can wear warrior shells), the hacks were tremendous, can barely see GMs online maybe once a month, CS tickets were basically useless, egames didnt give a shit about that game and just wanted to make the most out of it before calling it an end... hence stupid promotions were released (topping up points comes with free +8 weapons armors uniques) if this happened in usko...then yeah... ko will close very soon

@ draviste : are you still playing KO?

and to all whoever said WoW pvp > KO pvp.... can quit this forum and quit ko and just go play on wow :lol:[/b]

Ya it's funny how he wants people to get off his nuts when he opens himself up stating opinions as some sort of fact despite actions that speak to the opposite. And yes, very few people even who now play wow will say KO pvp is better by far...

errr new shit implemented + new expansion = new bugs...

pretty much the same... rogues got somewhat nerfed......

and when are u gonna take the castle on pathos? xD

jaso

is it me or is there a post like this atleast once a week?

it just seems funny to me a new person every week "is ko worth coming back to? I played BACK IN THE DAY"[/b]
    lol it so true

Razyrfist

errr new shit implemented + new expansion = new bugs...

pretty much the same... rogues got somewhat nerfed......
    and when are u gonna take the castle on pathos? xD[/b]
    As soon as KO is actually worth something

Ya want a PvP game , try out Darkfall they r testing beta now, you might get in if u r lucky.

draviste

@ draviste : are you still playing KO?[/b]
    Yes still playing I am mostly playing Hammer and AOC but still have a nerfed Beat on Pathos, I do hope it does not end, and my last point to profitability, Ko Funds the other games that k2 runs games like sword and MU so to figure out there over all profitability you have to look at what these games are generating if anything and the overhead involved. Intel was/is there investor who came in with 10mil for equipment, marketing blah blah blah, fired most of the cali staff and ran all gms', cs out of India and now have a say in how the company is run. The expansion is in the licensing deal its not like Mgames is sitting there developing new content it was released in Japan and Korea in 07. And correct me if I am wrong but isnt there a bunch of stuff you mentioned going on in KO that was going on in My? except for the crazy promotions or is 180 days of plat, gold not considered crazy promotion to raise money quickly. The best thing that could happen for ko is if k2 actually aquired the rights to the game from mgames and were able to become the developer so that they could take it over and run it without being relient on Mgames for fixes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast