DOES ANYONE USE SATELLITE INTERNET FOR KO?

This is a discussion on DOES ANYONE USE SATELLITE INTERNET FOR KO? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; hey guys, I just moved and am unable to get DSL or cable internet and was wondering if anyone plays ...
Page: 1

BrightEyes

hey guys,

I just moved and am unable to get DSL or cable internet and was wondering if anyone plays KO on a satellite internet connection (hughesnet in this case). I talked to one of their representitives and she said that there were some latency issues involved in satellite internet connections but that it may not even be noticeable. I just wanted to come on here before i forked out money for internet service that won't even be able to meet my needs. I would really appreciate your help here if you guys have any information.

BrightEyes

morax

hey guys,

I just moved and am unable to get DSL or cable internet and was wondering if anyone plays KO on a satellite internet connection (hughesnet in this case). I talked to one of their representitives and she said that there were some latency issues involved in satellite internet connections but that it may not even be noticeable. I just wanted to come on here before i forked out money for internet service that won't even be able to meet my needs. I would really appreciate your help here if you guys have any information.
    BrightEyes[/b]
    Just wondering where abouts you are - geographically? Which country? Also there are lots of latency issues regards satellite but it wont be too noticable in KO, you wont be able to play First person shooters though!

BrightEyes

Im located in the southern USA (Mississippi) and I only play KO atm.....do you think that the latency issue would be a problem here like for Pk and such?

DragonFire

Just wondering where abouts you are - geographically? Which country? Also there are lots of latency issues regards satellite but it wont be too noticable in KO, you wont be able to play First person shooters though![/b]

ya I agree we had satellite net for awhile, it was alright. But as morax said no fps . It was pretty expensive, but thank god I moved

Aluzion

Actually there are some really good Sat. net companies that are really awesome.. my pal uses one.. he plays CAL-P CS 1.6 and doesnt have much lag at all unless the weather picks up :S Btw, im in Canada.

BrightEyes

thanks for your replies guys i was getting worried that i would be unable to play ko lol.

_Boomsheeka_

I use satellite internet for KO, and it works a lot better than I feared when I had no other internet option.

For PK, it sometimes sucks because of the latency issues. You have like a 1/4 to 1/5 second delay, and thats usually enough to get killed in CZ when soloing. When Im in a party, I dont notice it as much but its still there. I still have fun PKing, and its kind of nice to have the ultimate excuse.. If I get pwned by someone I just say to myself "Its that damm satellite internet again"

As far as XPing, I really dont notice any difference at all.

Thats for KO, if you like shooters (like I did) then you can give it up. The latency kills you in CS, UT, Quake and all other games of the sort. Check to make sure that a antennae based system is not available in your area. Where I live, they just started that service. It is like a TV station in that the signal is beamed out from a local spot that has a nice land line connection, and you do not have the latency at all. I haven't done that yet, but I plan to soon.

Hope that helped.

cordially....

BrightEyes

Haha, i think i will have to use that excuse myself some Especially when i'm slow to tp a party member outta the thick lol " sorry dude, satellite"

morax

Haha, i think i will have to use that excuse myself some Especially when i'm slow to tp a party member outta the thick lol " sorry dude, satellite"[/b]
    The only reason i was so interested is that ive just written a 15000 word report highlighting the "Digital Divide" in the UK, where rural communities cant get good quality ADSL lines etc and it stops them doing various different things.

I looked at alternative methods such as satellite connections and Wi-Fi wireless connections etc. Quite Interesting really

Your satellite should be fine - in the UK its just a really expensive alternative to a "normal" internet connection!

Have fun!