View Poll Results: Do you see yourself playing this server someday?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 51.46%
  • No

40 38.83%
  • I'd probably play both this & USKO

10 9.71%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

A New Project

This is a discussion on A New Project within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by razor Just some random thoughts I had: Mmos require progression, that's why pvp-only servers fail. They require ...
Page: 7

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Just some random thoughts I had:

Mmos require progression, that's why pvp-only servers fail. They require no effort and can be picked up as easily as they can be dropped.

People must feel the need to work towards a goal, whether it is level wise, gear wise or NP / ego wise (symbols help but they aren't enough to sustain a pvp only game). Usually MMORPGs spin around being "the best" and of course having fun. There's a reason why people no life it in new servers or baba it up. They want to be the best, or at least competitive. Even if it's a secondary goal in a mmo, its always sitting there.

The problem arises in the fact that KO's sense of progression is outdated. There's no immediate reward without immense amounts of grind and commitment, and if by any chance you make it too easy then people reach endgame / top gear stats and quickly get bored / leave. KO isn't a casual game where a player says "oh well I got my FP set so I'm happy now, I'm gonna devote the rest of my time to have fun in pk!" they always strive for more and more gear.

That reasoning makes it seem like medium / hard farm servers are the way to go, but they also have a downside and that's the simple fact that people won't bother starting in a server that is already old. Nobody likes playing on servers where you missed the headstart and everyone's already 70, and that holds true even for official KO servers.

It's extremely hard to find a happy middle ground and I admit that while I haven't really brainstormed about it, I doubt I'd figure out something that fixes these issues without altering the way this game works. There's just a lack of tech in its engine.
    can't agree more with this!

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Just some random thoughts I had:

Mmos require progression, that's why pvp-only servers fail. They require no effort and can be picked up as easily as they can be dropped.

People must feel the need to work towards a goal, whether it is level wise, gear wise or NP / ego wise (symbols help but they aren't enough to sustain a pvp only game). Usually MMORPGs spin around being "the best" and of course having fun. There's a reason why people no life it in new servers or baba it up. They want to be the best, or at least competitive. Even if it's a secondary goal in a mmo, its always sitting there.

The problem arises in the fact that KO's sense of progression is outdated. There's no immediate reward without immense amounts of grind and commitment, and if by any chance you make it too easy then people reach endgame / top gear stats and quickly get bored / leave. KO isn't a casual game where a player says "oh well I got my FP set so I'm happy now, I'm gonna devote the rest of my time to have fun in pk!" they always strive for more and more gear.

That reasoning makes it seem like medium / hard farm servers are the way to go, but they also have a downside and that's the simple fact that people won't bother starting in a server that is already old. Nobody likes playing on servers where you missed the headstart and everyone's already 70, and that holds true even for official KO servers.

It's extremely hard to find a happy middle ground and I admit that while I haven't really brainstormed about it, I doubt I'd figure out something that fixes these issues without altering the way this game works. There's just a lack of tech in its engine.
    I suppose there could be a system where you need to achieve something to be able to farm something or join some event or w/e. For example, new, updated rewards from monthly symbols? Some other achievement you have to finish in order to join some zone that has huge advantages? Stuff like that would sound awesome in my opinion. Maybe you have to collect some stuff to open up a new area where there are better farming spots and whatnot? I don't really have final answers but these are just some ideas. I'd also love seeing some kind of quest armors/weaps in game. I loved playing with quest sets in EUKO :l

Promise Less, Do More Senior Member Danny's Avatar

Razor, I got everything you mentioned figured out, I just haven't said the details enough to let everyone know, for obvious reasons. In short, this will be an Ardream server for English speaking players to enjoy no matter whether they got their FP set or are using Goblin armors and will have lots of fun. Drops will not be easy to obtain as similar rates to USKO (just with slightly altered locations), but at the same time, everything will be accessible to you, even though level cap is 59. That should be enough info for people to understand what you can do without being bored or feeling like you should leave. Only once there are a few dedicated clans that are active enough to allow the server to evolve, will we expand to welcome the 72- gangs in, so people can choose to log their CZ character or on the same account for their DCZ and find something to do, always, for much cheaper too. Now if there are other servers being made with the impression of trying to copy our motives for making a server without making a profit on you, while not joining us, then it's obvious that their motives aren't the same as ours. It's not like I decided to do this after someone else did. I'm still needing an SQL guy, which should also show you how many awesome new quests will be made to keep the playgrounds alive, and it doesn't matter for what it is -- whether it's for PvP, PvE, Items, Uniques, and more, and most will be repeatable so you can always make yourself ahead of the game by being active, even if you're not a babashopper, you will be on top with your activity and even more importantly, with unity.

O_o Senior Member

I think that if there won't be at least 200 users online having 2 PK zones won't be such a good idea.

Btw don't get me wrong, I luuuuuv the idea of starting as DCZ server, it's just that there won't be enough ppl at each zone

Exactly, which is why we are sticking to what's easier to find more fun and grow the community before we take our chances to expand. Even if we do end up expanding, it's up to the people to decide, whatever the players want, we will do for the majorities' vote. This will be theirs, not mine or any other sole supporter.

Making only 59 lvl server is stupid IMO, ok so you said you want to keep that lvl for a few months and then? Move to 70? Whats the point of this?
    Exping is stupid in PSKO because it's fun only if you start on launch with everyone else, otherwise you'll have to solo exp unless there's huge number of players so you can always find someone to XP with(hard to do in PSKO).
    So make 1 lvl cap and stick with it. 59 is dumb as shit because people want to be able to use their stronger skills. 70 is perfect becuz most people prefer old school KO.
    Having DCZ and CZ is also stupid in PSKO. Purpose of this in USKO was so that ppl who dont wanna XP can still have fun. But here it only splits players in 2 groups when there's not gonna be enough players to do that anyway.
    And if you want to make it so that ppl can PK instantly without having to farm then make PK only server.

You must PvE to get to your PvP, but it won't be as difficult as USKO. If I follow your routine, then I will be one step closer to being a 2 month server that dies inevitably.

Edit: I agree with you that limiting players to play Ardream alone will be annoying at some point, but some people are die-hard fans of under lvl 60 skill PK and some are the opposite. Let them be where they want, if they want their bullshit cursed weapon & krowaz armors that make all other armors pointless to try and obtain/upgrade, let them go to USKO and spend thousands of dollars on almost nothing. If they want to just log in because they're pissed and want to VS against each others' e-penis, let them find someone similar to SexyKO. The examples aren't endless but whatever people want, it practically exists. We oldschoolers appreciate the game for what it USED to be, not what it is now, which is the whole reason to making this server, but unfortunately, we aren't going to just pay for everything and tell you no problem. If you want it, you gotta earn it, the more you support, the better the possibilities and the sooner they can appear.

wtf is juice? Senior Member trytankme's Avatar

Interesting ideas.
    But after all it is just another private server even though you're trying something different sorta.
    The end of the day private servers always fail, just because SexyKO or OSKO are still up doesn't mean they're fun to play.
    If you really want people to commit to a private server you should be trying to turn it into a mod, change the concept of KO for example; Half life and Counter Strike, ARMA and DayZ, WC3 and DOTA.
    Now something completely different while keeping the core components and game play of KO that is something I'd be interested in.
    Just a thought anyway.

That would be sweet, but how? Wanna say some imaginary example that could even come close to fruition? Unless your talking about making quests that will lead people to an interesting "different type of gameplay with what you already have", then that is already underway. Anything besides that, I don't know what you'd be referring to..

wtf is juice? Senior Member trytankme's Avatar

Unfortunately I can't think of anything on the spot. That's the hard part though, thinking of something that will be new and fun. Wouldn't hurt to ask your team or even this community to brainstorm ideas for a mod using the KO concept. It could be anything as long as it's fun/addictive.

Example off the top of my head:
    - One big zone - eg: size of karus or something - human base on one side orc base on the other.
    - Starting areas would be right outside of your base and mobs would get harder the further you go out.
    - Completely open world pvp from lvl 10 though it should be hard to get to the opposite side of the map due to capture points. (You could even make it so a lvl 59 can't attack a lvl 30 unless the lvl 30 attacks first like in WoW)
    - Capture points all around the map that would provide bonus XP and NP earned in the area for the faction that owns that capture(human or orc)
    - Massive bless of NP and XP for capturing one of these areas.
    - Massive castle (like CSW) somewhere in the map that would provide an advantage for the clan that owns it.
    - Portal in each base to tp to moradon
    - Different portals that should be somewhat hard to get to all around the map eg: bf, esl and whatever else there is these days.
    - Could even add something like your level will reset every month or something but you will keep your items and np.

This is just an example I'm sure others could come up with better ideas for a mod if they put time in it.

All awesome ideas. Thank you for your time and effort in writing that out, I gratefully appreciate the thought. I came up with a few twists and new potentially nice ideas from what you said. I think it would be cool to have a scavenger hunt type of war in a map that involves what you mentioned as a "big zone", where, if you stumble/lose on one part of the hunt, you get teleported back to the beginning and have to start from scratch. During the mission, anyone from opposite nation can attack you and make you lose 50% coin you obtained from your attempt of the quest and earn more NP's. Even more, those who killed most people like 1st/2nd/3rd place would receive an additional reward after the scavenger hunt war is over. Also as you mentioned, the scavenger hunt progressively gets more and more difficult as you proceed to each quest and try to reach the last part of the map; and towning would be disabled so there is always a competitively fun result rather than people just trying to make money and leave silently.

Maybe even be generous by rewarding 1st place winners with a Redemption Scroll that allows you to try any one upgrade (without or instead of a Trina on that one upgrade) but doesn't eat your item if the upgrade fails. So a free try to upgrade anything, unless it's already +8 lol.

Yeah I definitely think having TP's to any region from any portal gate should be possible, it's not like kingship really makes much on that either way, actually I don't even know if that is part of their taxing but whatever.

I'm debating about Bifrost though. What should we do? Allow the mobs to spawn at certain hours IN CZ? Or keep it old school and just let people who want to PK stay in CZ and people who want to farm go into the Bifrost gate? I like the idea of having to fight for your spot, but if people can't farm because PK is too active or too many people are getting EXP'd and quitting their parties, then is that competition more worthy than splitting everyone up while allowing "more" freedom to farm their frags. I am stuck on "we'll have to wait and see how the server plays out", but I'd like to beta the one we all like more.

Any more suggestions I will gladly input positively on. Thanks! Gnight.

For wars (if we have them): Boat map. Always my favorite war map. Just map 2.5 cents.

err... shouldn't this be in the p server section?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ItstheTax View Post
    err... shouldn't this be in the p server section?!?

not this one.

Sry for this usless question, but which version you're working on ? 12xx or 18xx/19xx ?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast