Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paypal Charge Back, How to avoid it?

This is a discussion on Paypal Charge Back, How to avoid it? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Hi i quit ko, and im planning to sell some stuff for usd, paypal. now i know you can charge ...
Page: 1

Default Paypal Charge Back, How to avoid it?

Hi i quit ko, and im planning to sell some stuff for usd, paypal. now i know you can charge back in paypal and i want to avoid any scammers, is their anyway i can avoid the charge back? im paypal verified i know that. Pretend if im selling 1 gb for 5$, can i request 5$ from the user, then he wont be able to charge back? can someone help me with this.

sorry if its in wrong section, if so mod can you please move it.

Banned

Theres no way to avoid that.
    If someone wants to scam you, he will.
    If he pays you from a diff ISP or just another subnet(using proxy or friends inet or w/e) he can always charge ou back claiming his paypal was unauthorized accessed by a 3rd person.
    Last edited by IamStillAlive; 04-21-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Just make sure that they are trusty or have vouchers. Sadly, there is no guarantee, it's just a risk every seller takes.

i think chargeback expires in 3 month after you receive payment?

this is highly unlikely, but u can ask the med to hold your item until the payment is over 3 month old, and then the med trade buyer your items

LOL

Paypal lets you chargeback whenever you feel like. However according to their ToS, the buyer is technically only allowed 3 months to file a claim.

I was charged back for 310$ 6 months after the transaction and told paypal to piss off in a nice formal letter, havn't heard from them since (2 years ago now)

xanarchistx

All of these posts are wrong.

You can write a mini "Terms of Service" of your own when negotiating on paypal.

Basically, contacts can be by word of mouth, or written.

By the wonder of the internet, you can do this via paypal.

Steps:
    1. do NOT let them send you money, deny it instantly.

2. REQUEST Money from them for "Service"

3. Paypal will ask you what the "Title" of your request will be.
    This is the title of the payment request they get in their email.
    To make this work you MUST make the Title:
    "TERMS OF SERVICE - READ BEFORE PAYMENT"

4. Put in the "Comments/Description" your own "Terms of Service" which should read:
    "
    By accepting the payment for $XXX.XX USD, you agree to the following terms of service:
    1. You have received ALL services and goods in question, and the sale is FINAL.
    2. There are NO refunds, returns, or chargebacks.
    3. You will not create false paypal disputes regarding this transaction.
    "

5. Instruct the person to READ the email, and screenshot that you've done so.
    6. Do NOT give him the items before the trade, only after the payment has been made.

I've had NUMEROUS paypal disputes closed instantly when I bring this up to paypal. It is a legal binding contract.

KpDeranged

My friend was scammed out of $100 and he tried to do a charge back and paypal said nothing they can do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xanarchistx View Post

Steps:

4. Put in the "Comments/Description" your own "Terms of Service" which should read:
    "
    By accepting the payment for $XXX.XX USD, you agree to the following terms of service:
    "

6. Do NOT give him the items before the trade, only after the payment has been made.

I've had NUMEROUS paypal disputes closed instantly when I bring this up to paypal. It is a legal binding contract.
    All of this wont work if the paypal transaction has been made by an unauthorized person.Plop.

BK Programmer Senior Member sexyswed's Avatar

Just use moneybookers instead cause u can't chargeback from there

Edit: Make sure the buyer has an verrified moneybookers account, this means he/she has accepted the terms.

and by that he/she Confirmed that he/she has been putting his credit card for useage and cannot chargeback any transaction
    Last edited by sexyswed; 04-22-2010 at 07:50 AM.

WU ftw 10 chars

- Psy's Guide to Selling for USD

- Never sell to people with no vouchers. And by vouchers I mean people on ko4life who have a reputation of trading.

- I usually ask "new customers" to add that message (from the above link) to their payment. I don't know if it really helps when you get chargebacked, but I believe a scammer wouldn't agree to add the message anyway.
    Here's the message:
    "This money transfer I am sending is to signify that I have already recieved the item in question and am now sending the money to pay for the item and there will be no charge back made under any circumstances because the transaction is complete."

- Always search (on the forum) the user name and the msn address of your buyer, and make sure nothing related to scamming shows up.

- Make sure the buyers PP account is verified.

+1 to Yoav

I was about to list a link to PSY's guide but you beat me to it. Good stuff in there, but I have to say that I haven't had a problem as long as the person has vouchers. Most people with a join date older than 1 year and who have vouchers seem to be OK to deal with.

The thing you really want to do is go into their profile and see the posts that they have contributed to the forum. You can tell a lot about a person's maturity by their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
    - Psy's Guide to Selling for USD

- Never sell to people with no vouchers. And by vouchers I mean people on ko4life who have a reputation of trading.

- I usually ask "new customers" to add that message (from the above link) to their payment. I don't know if it really helps when you get chargebacked, but I believe a scammer wouldn't agree to add the message anyway.
    Here's the message:
    "This money transfer I am sending is to signify that I have already recieved the item in question and am now sending the money to pay for the item and there will be no charge back made under any circumstances because the transaction is complete."

- Always search (on the forum) the user name and the msn address of your buyer, and make sure nothing related to scamming shows up.

- Make sure the buyers PP account is verified.
    vouchers mean nothing, people turn bad in a blink of an eye

Quote Originally Posted by xanarchistx View Post

Steps:

"
    "

Ironically, you too just gave the wrong advice. Your "terms of service" idea doesn't mean shit if they claim that their PayPal was hacked. You can do the "payment owed" option which takes away their ability to charge back, however they can still charge back if they called PayPal and say someone else accessed their account and it wasn't them who authorized that particular payment. I have never had that happen to me because it takes a lot of effort to do that. Assuming your buyer is in a country where PayPal has the resources to verify a person's identity, Paypal is going to ask you to furnish all type of information such as a scan of your driver's license, bank statement, utility bill, etc . If he is not in such country, they are not going to ask him anything, and just reverse the transaction.
    Last edited by darkcloud3; 04-22-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Here is what you have to do. You can still get charged back via this method but you will win the dispute against it if you choose to file one. This assumes that the person you're doing with has a verified account. If they don't, do not do business with them.

First things first, ask them for what their home phone number is and cross examine it with their address, and then call them. Make sure they are who they and paypal say they are. A verified paypal account usually covers this but in the case of stolen accounts it won't. Knowing they live where paypal says they live is both useful for your peace of mind and comes in handy later.

Then, you send them an invoice for the amount due. You list the category as Goods. Once this invoice is sent, don't do anything yet.

When they pay you, you can then print a shipping label. This label contains their address and name and what not, basically everything you'd need to send them something via mail.

Then, you go to the post office. You speak with someone and request the forms necessary to send mail and demand that for the person to receive it they have to sign for it. This I think will cost you $5-$10.

After you have that, you send them a copy of the invoice with a phone number/email address written on it that belongs to you and that they do not already know. The reason for this is you want them to contact you via that number/email address to ensure that they have received the mail. To receive it, they have to sign with the postal service that they received the invoice. After they contact you from this phone number/email address, you can then give them the items.

Now you have them receiving your shipment on file with the USPS. Any chargebacks at this point should be easily disputed with this evidence.

Also, it is worth while mentioning that any thing you write in the comments when requesting payment will do nothing to protect you. Like everyone else has mentioned, people can claim their paypal was hacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)