Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Regarding Compromised Accounts

This is a discussion on Regarding Compromised Accounts within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I will start this post by saying this issue is serious, so spamming in this topic will result in punishments. ...
Page: 1

Default Regarding Compromised Accounts

I will start this post by saying this issue is serious, so spamming in this topic will result in punishments.

We have seen a very large influx in accounts being hacked into and taken over. We have had a few this morning alone, and many over the past weekend.

Could i please take this opportunity to remind you that you should be changing your passwords at least once a month, they should be changed to something either random or dis-similar to your previous, therefore making it harder to get.

You should also not use the same email address for ko4life as you do for MSN/ Facebook or PayPal.

I know from experience, that MSN is easy to hack into, so if you use an MSN account for ko4life please use a random address and not one you use on a regular basis.

I urge you that once you have read this topic, change your password.

If you have any questions, just PM me and ill be happy to answer.
    Last edited by Danny; 02-01-2011 at 12:54 AM.

This needs to be on the top

To the admins - by being well known on the forum and having my MSN public, many people ask me "how do I contact an admin if I can't make a new account."
    Would be nice if you told those who were banned how exactly they can contact you - as you don't have public MSN's and the only way you can be contacted is through PM here on the site.

Also, several unnecessary bans have been handed out as members access their friends accounts in order to contact an admin. Though sharing account information is irresponsible of members and should result in some sort of punishment, I feel that the lack of availability is the main source of the problem. I, and I'm sure several others feel that the bans should not remain permanent, and the availability of a mod accessible to banned users be given. A suggestion I've seen from another forum: forum which gives posting rights to "guest" accounts to discuss issues with admins/mods.

Promise Less, Do More Senior Member Danny's Avatar

Thank you for the reference, I believe it is absolutely essential to put this in announcements rather, regardless how long this may take to die. Removing old CWest topic and pinning this up if it hasn't already..

Promise Less, Do More Senior Member Danny's Avatar

Bumping to refresh awareness; mods please do the same 1-2 times a day minimally as it is stickied, but not viewed to active searchers, thank you.

Ill bump this again

Also members who got banned can't access user profiles or post even if it's a new account, what else do you expect us to do?

Quote Originally Posted by torkkel View Post
    Also members who got banned can't access user profiles or post even if it's a new account, what else do you expect us to do?
    You find out who banned you then speak with that Admin or Mod in pms, they will talk you through what to do.

Draven is not even a mod anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by torkkel View Post
    Draven is not even a mod anymore.
    pm me. i can still do a few things, still helping the admins/mods here take care of business especially during this time. Im snowed in from the weather and have time to help.

Members who are banned can't PM. When they make a new account to speak to an admin/mod they are instantly banned again.

http://www.gamers4life.com/forums/members/36099.html
    http://www.gamers4life.com/forums/members/35839.html
    http://www.gamers4life.com/forums/members/35923.html

That was quick, nice work.
    What exactly happened though?

your account was logged in from another ip matching other members. Thats about the best I can explain it. Someone with better knowledge would have to explain it better. I just notice it on the report and go check the account and ban. Your account i remember as an active member so the minute u mentioned it to me in pm I took action. I looked it up to make sure you were banned for something else just to be sure, but i clearly remember banning it becuz it was compromised.

i hope u changed ur password like i requested.

Ill bump this again.

But as Draven had said, when an account is compromised it means it has been logged by an IP that matches alot of others, we believe there is some kind of hacker gaining access to peoples accounts.

As described in the first post, change your password and email as often as you can and make them as difficult and random as you can make them.

Also if you have a notepad, copy and paste your password into the box, it makes it more difficult for a keylogger or hacker to get that password.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)