Ripping off a client ?

This is a discussion on Ripping off a client ? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I don't understand how this works,but whats stopping people from just taking a client from another server (that works just ...
Page: 1

Default Ripping off a client ?

I don't understand how this works,but whats stopping people from just taking a client from another server (that works just fine,like zonemyko) and then just re-releasing it as a whatever server,instead of fixing it by yourself. Ive seen some turkish servers that are completely dead (like 4KO) that have a perfect copy of USKO client,where literally EVERYTHING works as it supposed to. People are asking for SexyKO release,why not just grab this 4KO client and make a SexyKO-like server for the ko4life community that I'm sure would more than like to see the return of SexyKO.

tl:dr : I'm using the following servers just as an example,don't take it personally or with any intention,but whats stopping lets say GlobalKO from taking ZoneKO client and renaming it,since both of the servers are running the same version of KO ?

Quote Originally Posted by Decerto View Post
    I don't understand how this works,but whats stopping people from just taking a client from another server (that works just fine,like zonemyko) and then just re-releasing it as a whatever server,instead of fixing it by yourself. Ive seen some turkish servers that are completely dead (like 4KO) that have a perfect copy of USKO client,where literally EVERYTHING works as it supposed to. People are asking for SexyKO release,why not just grab this 4KO client and make a SexyKO-like server for the ko4life community that I'm sure would more than like to see the return of SexyKO.

tl:dr : I'm using the following servers just as an example,don't take it personally or with any intention,but whats stopping lets say GlobalKO from taking ZoneKO client and renaming it,since both of the servers are running the same version of KO ?
    Various things. One of them simply being development skills, or lack thereof. Also, the client isn't all you need to run a server. The client is just a package sent to the players to access the hosted game server. The real "files" are only accessible to the admin that has database access.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in the matter to completely explain how things work, but that's basically the gist of it. Of course, some servers can yoink stuff from USKO, using certain tools to do so, but it's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do. The beginning of all private servers always starts from leaked files, not from the client.

The reason why a lot of servers are similar, is because they use the same base client, developed by a more talented developer, who then licenses their files to a server owner that hosts the server. Soacs is one of the most popular choices for many, because of Osman's years of hard work put into the client. Zone and Global both use Soacs.

You’ve answered yourself. Client files are not server files

Graphics, such as items, loading screens... npc looks and stuff is easy to steal on KO which is probably main reason not many invest time to create custom things i.e weapons/armors/wings because people can just rip it off immedially. But c/p a client or just using x client for it features wouldn't be as efficient without the server sided support to make those features work. I mean, if you know your reverse engineering and can include unpacking the exe's and dll's and whatever those client have you could basically just rip the whole thing.

I think (or atleast assume) what stops most private server owners is the cryptions... because they can't access the EXEs to use it on their own client.

So answer to your last question is, global can't rip the client because they cant unpack the EXE to make it run for them and zone is 19xx client with just 12xx custom interface global wouldnt have the server-sided support to use any of the functions in that client other than the basics.