Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Scam cases

This is a discussion on Scam cases within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; That will make it a lot hard to control the market section. Intermediately we will see ppl posting USD sales ...
Page: 2

That will make it a lot hard to control the market section. Intermediately we will see ppl posting USD sales in the IGC section. If there are not mods around, that topic will stay visible for hours and by the time we manage to delete it, it already served its purpose.

Increasing the time and posts is something we are evaluating. 3 months seems little time, same as 50 post.

Banned Senior Member

a member has to be "approved" before they can post in the market section or even view it therefor people that seem fishy can't scam people but thats probably to much to ask for to over look every member.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    two market sections

USD one -> 9 months member with 150-200 posts minimum to even view the forum, so they can't pm you
    IGC one -> where anyone can post.

Just have to keep an eye on things to make sure people aren't selling for USD in the IGC one
    i am agree with IGC but not usd

Re-open the middle manning section perhaps. More experienced traders can typically see a scam happening before it happens

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    Re-open the middle manning section perhaps. More experienced traders can typically see a scam happening before it happens
    It was removed by Mee because there hadn't been a post in the section in over 3 months...and that post was spam. No one used it.

From what I last remember the stickies in that forum were severely out of date, possibly causing that section to be not used as much as it could have been.

Justin Oreos Senior Member sleven07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    two market sections

USD one -> 9 months member with 150-200 posts minimum to even view the forum, so they can't pm you
    IGC one -> where anyone can post.

Just have to keep an eye on things to make sure people aren't selling for USD in the IGC one
    i really think this would b a great idea and Devile if u are worrried about ppl posting anyway in the igc section (although if a person was posting in the igc section, i doubt ppl buying for usd would trust it).. I would say make a few more Market Moderators like we used to have here even 3 or 4 of them whose sole purpose would be monitoring the market sections.

Banned Senior Member

A reputation system (of any type); from typical forum reputation systems to one which is specific to sales - I recommend both. A forum reputation system to ensure the quality of the member as a whole, and an "eBay" reputation system to ensure the trade quality of that specific person.

A middle-man system designated for trade protection. Deploy your most trusted and reputable player(s) in the middle of the transaction. It seems to work - although there are still some complaints and then it becomes "who's word is more valued".

An agency/group designed to specifically deal with this matter (disable your zero-tolerance law or this option will fail)

Either way, scamming is dealt with common sense and trust-boundaries of the subject scammed. Personally, I believe scammers should be allowed to remain on the forum as an active participant. It should be the responsibility of the Administration (or those given responsibility) to keep detailed logs on those who are known to scam. This gives the administration the control they require to maintain scammers activity and stay one step ahead of any organized scammer groups that may exist today. If you're a skeptic, then go read a book. Just like there are clans who specifically decide they're a hacking clan, there are scamming clans.

Temptation rolls over everyone's shoulders. It's easy to act on temptation when you are safely recognized as a very valued and trusted member. It's a bit harder when your action can not be executed without the assistance of an entire team. Just as civilization used to build castles, great walls, and fences to fend off local bandits or warriors. Eventually, government agencies were produced and borders are more "invisible" yet more effective. Dismantle your castle buildings and incorporate a hidden agency to deal with this mess because it is:

1. Annoying reading all these scamming accusation posts
    2. Even more annoying reading them without any relative proof
    3. Makes kids want to stay away from drugs.

It's easy, Mmmk?

Cano Senior Member Canofwhopass's Avatar

Should take some applications for middle mans simply one of the most effective ways really.

El Gran Tanke Senior Member gimmecookiesnao's Avatar

Any and all trades I do in USKO I do over Ko4Life pm. That way any accounts/IP's associated with a potential scammer can be shutdown ASAP. Easier to trace back compared to MSN i think.

Also maybe a system of verification. What I have in mind would actually require alot more involvement by Mod and Admins in game.

Ex.

When user signs up for forum they go through normal process.

The added step would be adding a question such as

What server do you play?
    What is the name of your character?

The info would be in the public profile of the user.

The newly registered user could see and reply in all sections except market place.

In order to view market place they would need to log their Knight Online character and send a letter ingame to an admin/mod character.

This letter would say

"I am newly registered member in KO4life. My name in KO4Life is "insertnamehere" This is the character I will use in order to do trades"

When the admins/mods see the letter they give access to KO4life account.

This establishes a virtual identity.

After the admins approve the user he is informed that any and all trades will only be done with that character.

The rules in the market place will inform users that

buyers/sellers are only able to do trade with the characters that were verified by admins.

I know this sounds extreme but people lose thousands a dollars so maybe extreme measures should be viewed no?

Ive modded thousands of dollars in trade, biggest one trade was near 3k while being a senior mod here. This is what I always tried to do.

All trades started here at this forum. All parties were attached to each passed pm. Everyone was in the know. USD/IGC/IGI... it didnt matter.

For USD trades involving W.U/paypal (this process is a must for interserver trading):

set up the rules of the trade thru this pm process. Usually involved me gathering the items on a well known character in a well known clan. Upon gathering the items I came back to KO4life and sent pm to buyer with the seller attached to it. Waited for the seller to collect his payment. He then contacted me/buyer stating he had his payment thru pm. I then logged to give items to buyer.

IGC/IGI trades:

Again the process starts with the group pm here. Then if wasnt interserver trade, we would meet up in a party in game with me using my character in HF. I collected, then handed out. After that the process would end with pm here in forums.

This is the best way to do any trades, it offers proof thru pm's for moderators in case of banning later and keep all involved on the same page.

Had 0 scams.

There's never really gonna be a better process. Even with a vouch system , its almost a waste of time. The only full proof method of limiting scammers is having a trusted middleman. Which always lead to the middleman donating his time. In some cases the middleman is stuck holding items for a couple days(intersever/timezone trade). There needs to be some understanding that the middleman should recieve something for his time and to keep the deal honest. Otherwise it will be hard to keep decent honest trustable people do the middleman deals.

Also before I quit.. I had and still have access to multiple Ips. Would be able to get some IP's verified thru officials mods, and thru my clan forums which is probably the biggest data base of KO player ips next to this forum and officials.

using these ips and infos from clan applications helped immensely when dealing with scam cases. It made it a ton easier for you to get to the bottom of who was telling the truth and what not.

If there's a report against a player on the forum with no evidence (a your word vs my word case) you could add the users to a special "trade with caution" group. Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    If there's a report against a player on the forum with no evidence (a your word vs my word case) you could add the users to a special "trade with caution" group. Just an idea
    Not a bad idea.

Bringing trusted Middle Man user(s) back in to play seems like a fair shot. Possibly allow making another user-group of trusted traders (middle men) willing to dedicate some time, let them apply and allow other members/& or staff to be vote on and comment whether this user in question is capable of the position as well and approved as such to be a middle man.

Now that I think about it, this may even be able to go hand in hand with a Market Moderator position, limiting those users approved powers to specifically trades/ cleaning the market sections throughout the forum.

Jak's RL bro Senior Member keys's Avatar

Honestly I think that until you can post in the market section, you shouldn't be allowed to see it. Or maybe a slightly lower restriction, but this would stop people with NO reputation from pming people even though they can't make topics there.
    FuriousKo and LikeUhTanK like this.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast