Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

SUGGESTIONS for G4L from G4Lers

This is a discussion on SUGGESTIONS for G4L from G4Lers within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Well although I'm a moderator, I only use these forums for KO. There are other much more available sources for ...
Page: 2

Well although I'm a moderator, I only use these forums for KO. There are other much more available sources for other games than forums. Forums are an outdated format, which is why subreddits are often the places people go to look for information instead.

GloStix (Prestige ******) Senior Member NuclearWinter's Avatar

absolutely hate the reddit format, when its ingrained in you for decades to " use the search function, reply to an old topic about the subject instead of starting 15 of the same topic"

and then reddit is like " ayeeee lets lock topics after 3 months so people have to create the same topic over and over and over and over.
    black likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    Forums are in general an obsolete platform. Getting a new audience here, interested in current mainstream titles, is just not going to happen at this point.

Integration with bigger and more popular platforms like reddit, twitch, steam and such would be fine but that would not necessarily bring new people, instead I see it as an attempt to cement us as a community... unfortunately this community is far from being a united bunch of people.
    Sort of but not really, if we're comparing the forum type platform vs say reddit then sure its outdated. What's actually being discussed though is a way to increase traffic and user engagement on this particular forum, of which there are still thousands upon thousands of prospective participants who feel more comfortable with this format. You increase the number of active users on this forum by 1k, which is a minuscule fraction of the overall market and this place would be buzzing.

I personally have nothing to do with most individuals here though that's just me.
    coz ur a twat

You mentioned older games, I don't know if that would work but at least seems more viable than trying to appeal to the ever-hopping meme-loving mainstream audience who simply cannot play a game more than 1 month. They're like the polar opposite compared to us lol.
    Definitely viable, there are hundreds of terrible old games out there with extremely sticky consumers.

Even if a major shakeup did happen, I doubt most people would follow, unless the forum closes with a huge notice that says "hey guys go here instead". We know how that ended too. Devile doesn't want to let this die and it's an understandable feeling yet it's as if we're stuck on a limbo. Preserving what you created is alright but if no further interest is shown aside from occasionally making sure that nobody takes your community elsewhere, then it becomes harder to justify such zealousness.

Having said all of this, I still wouldn't like this weird mismatch of a community to simply die. I think it's cool that after all these years, people from a lot of countries such as denmark, peru, israel, saudi arabia, australia, us, canada, sweden, germany, finland, uk, greece, etc. still keep in touch, mostly centered around one game in particular.
    This is the catch though right? If there is no evolution then only devolution can occur. You either put effort in to gain new audiences from new demo's, new interests, new games w/e or you simply let it die a slow death. Depends entirely on how much effort core guys are willing to put in.

I sort of like the idea and I only quoted you because you brought up some fairly reasonable points.

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lavie View Post
    coz ur a twat
    u could've just said this and it would've been just as valid tbh
    DoomBringer likes this.

iTzBryan Senior Member

Yeah I'm a little surprised by the mod's reaction here. Simply saying "forums are outdated, not a chance anyone will come here" is a little drastic and unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavie View Post
    If there is no evolution then only devolution can occur. You either put effort in to gain new audiences from new demo's, new interests, new games w/e or you simply let it die a slow death. Depends entirely on how much effort core guys are willing to put in.
    Exactly my point. I didn't grow my YouTube channel by saying "ah 2017 is too late nobody will follow me." Fuck all that. We can get people here. Just gunna take a bit of effort and collaboration. Social media and SEO are very powerful and FREE tools. We should be using them.

iTzBryan Senior Member

Here's an idea: Why don't we have an official poll about new/up and coming games to play to decide which one people should collectively give a try? The winner gets a new subforum here on G4L. Market that subforum on FB, IG, YT. It's really that simple boiz. This is on the harder side of my ideas. Stream promos is super simple. Again, need the support of mods and admin here, though. Nothing to lose but a few hours or a few dollars. Everything to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by itzbryan View Post
    Here's an idea: Why don't we have an official poll about new/up and coming games to play to decide which one people should collectively give a try? The winner gets a new subforum here on G4L. Market that subforum on FB, IG, YT. It's really that simple boiz. This is on the harder side of my ideas. Stream promos is super simple. Again, need the support of mods and admin here, though. Nothing to lose but a few hours or a few dollars. Everything to gain.
    In the past communities i've been a aprt of when they make these " ventures" they appoint a guy totrun that section who is going to actually play that game, then a new one for the next game etc. It works really well for them. But Ww cant do that because we don't hold any power here over who gets to be a moderator or anything, only the guys who check this once every 6 months do, unfortunately.

dmg-inc.com is the community i left recently that did it this way ( linked so you could see forums but you may not be able to see anything without being a member i dont guess ), and theyve been going strong for years now. Unfortunately i dont play any of the games that they cater to now, so i stopped going there.

Another downfall though I think is that a lot of people here don't like eachother, so if we tried to make a venture like you're talking about they may not want to play with in the same groups. Maybe it would work for a game where you dont have to have large groups? dunno. Just typing out my thoughts without finishing them . lol

After KO was released on Steam there was a good chance of getting new members here.
    Dunno if anyone can find any data about new members joining here after the release.

Sadly the new users only see drastically outdated forums where no-one gives a fuck, specially mods.

Bryan got some valid points about streaming and other stuff.
    itzbryan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SPANKME View Post
    After KO was released on Steam there was a good chance of getting new members here.
    Dunno if anyone can find any data about new members joining here after the release.

Sadly the new users only see drastically outdated forums where no-one gives a fuck, specially mods.

Bryan got some valid points about streaming and other stuff.
    Would love to see how many new players Steam actually brought. I doubt any new players got past lvl 60 in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallop View Post
    Would love to see how many new players Steam actually brought. I doubt any new players got past lvl 60 in all honesty.

Agree with ya actually, every new person ive tried to get to play since it came to steam has stopped well before 60. the only "new" players who stuck around were people who played back in cwest era.

Also when people make YouTube movies and post them here they could shout out ko4life or put a link of the post here in their YouTube description, etc.

Same with streaming channels, always have ko4life tagged somewhere.
    itzbryan likes this.

iTzBryan Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ItzPrayerz View Post
    Also when people make YouTube movies and post them here they could shout out ko4life or put a link of the post here in their YouTube description, etc.

Same with streaming channels, always have ko4life tagged somewhere.

G4L needs an official YouTube where people can cross promote. e.g. I play a game that is covered in G4L, so I submit my video to G4L; G4L posts to their YT and credits the creator and links to their channel. SO EASY because they don't actually have to MAKE any content, just upload user content.

I'd be willing to list the G4L channel as one of my "featured" channels.

Again though, people seem very unwilling based on the responses thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by itzbryan View Post
    Again though, people seem very unwilling based on the responses thus far.
    You expect anything else from ko4life members?

Since admin don't give a fuck, why users should? Without him, all that discussion is pointless.
    NuclearWinter likes this.

Just came across that one - suits ko4life aswell:

Last edited by regiss; 10-19-2017 at 03:25 PM.

iTzBryan Senior Member

This one is better @Regiss

regiss likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast