Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thoughts on mage skill points?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on mage skill points? within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I'm considering playing mage, don't know how I should go with fire ice or lightening. I know I want to ...
Page: 1

Default Thoughts on mage skill points?

I'm considering playing mage, don't know how I should go with fire ice or lightening. I know I want to do as much damage output as possible so lightening is probably out of the equation? Some thoughts and help would be great. And also looking to purchase an 80 human mage if anyone has one for sale (GORDION)

i think first you should try a private server which gives full gears as beginners and practice for a week or two and see how it goes

I've been trying to play private servers but, no luck on parties or clans to want to add me really

If u are lvl 80

fire 70 - ice 70 - master 2 for full mage party and farm.
    max damage fire 80 - 45 ice - remaining master.
    solo pk 80 light - 45 - ice - remaining master.

Fap fap fap Senior Member ISpitOnYourGrave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEDE View Post
    If u are lvl 80

fire 70 - ice 70 - master 2 for full mage party and farm.
    max damage fire 80 - 45 ice - remaining master.
    solo pk 80 light - 45 - ice - remaining master.
    ye no

1-80 flame 23 master 45 ice/light (for mage clan)
    2- Tank mage 80 light, 45 ice 23 master, (can also go 80ice for cube depends on what you prefer)

NEVER DO 70 - 70 in the version for ANY reason

Little archer Senior Member

70-70 is good for farming, and farming only. Maybe Juraid even.

what about 80 fire 62 light for mage party? more light shocks can't be bad right? at 83 you can even get 5 master.

Quote Originally Posted by ISpitOnYourGrave View Post
    ye no

1-80 flame 23 master 45 ice/light (for mage clan)
    2- Tank mage 80 light, 45 ice 23 master, (can also go 80ice for cube depends on what you prefer)

NEVER DO 70 - 70 in the version for ANY reason
    70-70 is good for farming, and farming only. 72-60 is superior though (unless you have like a double element staff)

what about 80 fire 62 light for mage party? more light shocks can't be bad right? at 83 you can even get 5 master.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    70-70 is good for farming, and farming only. 72-60 is superior though (unless you have like a double element staff)

You need 15 points in master for instant magic. And the dragon summon is actually pretty helpful, not to mention minor resist at 20 master points is basically 30% damage increase. What it really comes down to is the way novas and party heals function as a game mechanic. The way PvP works is that the best optimal play style maximizes your nps/kills per minute.

Now, the way heals and burst damage works in this game is key to understanding the way mages are played. If you run a basic PvP setup of 7 mages and 1 priest, you'll have 14 novas to use for effective damage. After 14 novas your damage drops quite drastically, though 45 skills deal pretty decent damage with good gear in 20XX servers. Effective damage is basically all damage that is not negated by heals. In other words, damage that results to kills, or that isn't healed and leaves enemies with less than 100% health. Because 10k heals are so strong, it's almost impossible to die as a melee party in most servers (as long as the priests aren't fucking dimwits).

So, the damage mages deal in an instant is 7x(average nova damage). There are 2 instances that really matter, the first nova and the second one. The 45 skills should really only be used to clean up kills. After the first novas have been dropped, most parties are really vulnerable because the threat of burst damage from novas is gone, and they are now weaker than any class in the game. Of course staff damage is pretty decent, but in comparison to warriors and assassins it's not that great. So basically the mage party play style relies on understanding when the enemy uses their heals and when you have a chance to use your novas to kill the enemies. Staff coordination is important as well and using single target skills to take out people is also useful, but the core mechanic relies on bursting your enemies down with your first 2 novas, before they can outheal your damage output. This kind of fast paced playstyle also is the reason why having more than 2 novas is useless. If you fail to burst down your enemies, you're a sitting duck and can be killed. 4 novas takes too long to cast to be of use.

Light shock also does no damage, and as such is more like a useful gimmick than something that improves your chances of making nps. If you want to win 8v8s, it could be useful, but it doesn't increase your kills/nps per minute.

Edit: Also, I don't think there is a single team that is willing to stand still under 4 novas. There's just too much time to avoid all the damage by splitting up to make it work.

people play this game for years and don't know anything.

first 70-70-2 is the best built for farm.

second 70-70-2 can be use for pk in cz but u are a paper u drop novas and die but during invasion with a transformation scroll there isn't better built for full mage party then 70-70-2. with ts u can drop all 4 novas plus skill 2x45.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallop View Post
    You need 15 points in master for instant magic. And the dragon summon is actually pretty helpful, not to mention minor resist at 20 master points is basically 30% damage increase. What it really comes down to is the way novas and party heals function as a game mechanic. The way PvP works is that the best optimal play style maximizes your nps/kills per minute.

Now, the way heals and burst damage works in this game is key to understanding the way mages are played. If you run a basic PvP setup of 7 mages and 1 priest, you'll have 14 novas to use for effective damage. After 14 novas your damage drops quite drastically, though 45 skills deal pretty decent damage with good gear in 20XX servers. Effective damage is basically all damage that is not negated by heals. In other words, damage that results to kills, or that isn't healed and leaves enemies with less than 100% health. Because 10k heals are so strong, it's almost impossible to die as a melee party in most servers (as long as the priests aren't fucking dimwits).

So, the damage mages deal in an instant is 7x(average nova damage). There are 2 instances that really matter, the first nova and the second one. The 45 skills should really only be used to clean up kills. After the first novas have been dropped, most parties are really vulnerable because the threat of burst damage from novas is gone, and they are now weaker than any class in the game. Of course staff damage is pretty decent, but in comparison to warriors and assassins it's not that great. So basically the mage party play style relies on understanding when the enemy uses their heals and when you have a chance to use your novas to kill the enemies. Staff coordination is important as well and using single target skills to take out people is also useful, but the core mechanic relies on bursting your enemies down with your first 2 novas, before they can outheal your damage output. This kind of fast paced playstyle also is the reason why having more than 2 novas is useless. If you fail to burst down your enemies, you're a sitting duck and can be killed. 4 novas takes too long to cast to be of use.

Light shock also does no damage, and as such is more like a useful gimmick than something that improves your chances of making nps. If you want to win 8v8s, it could be useful, but it doesn't increase your kills/nps per minute.

Edit: Also, I don't think there is a single team that is willing to stand still under 4 novas. There's just too much time to avoid all the damage by splitting up to make it work.
    I'm not saying every mage should run 80/62. You bring up minor resist as if every mage should use it. One would suffice, same with my proposed build.

Instantly magic is cool for blink and freezing distance, but used on novas seems kinda like overkill? Idk much about how impactful it can be.

Fap fap fap Senior Member ISpitOnYourGrave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEDE View Post
    people play this game for years and don't know anything.

first 70-70-2 is the best built for farm.

second 70-70-2 can be use for pk in cz but u are a paper u drop novas and die but during invasion with a transformation scroll there isn't better built for full mage party then 70-70-2. with ts u can drop all 4 novas plus skill 2x45.
    no you always need 20 - 23 on master

Spend them all in language. It makes you understand Turkish.
    StickyBumper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    I'm not saying every mage should run 80/62. You bring up minor resist as if every mage should use it. One would suffice, same with my proposed build.

Instantly magic is cool for blink and freezing distance, but used on novas seems kinda like overkill? Idk much about how impactful it can be.
    Nah, triple nova is very effective as a tactic. In a 8v8 situation against a mage party you can get a guaranteed kill with 3 novas. Also, you can do something like, drop 1 nova to kill one party, drop the 2 next ones to kill another. It's not exactly easy to coordinate, but it's still very useful. The thing about minor resist is that you have pretty long cooldowns and you want to use it each time you use novas. It's just useful to have. Having static nova or frost nova just has no use in a well coordinated team.

So I guess it's really based on the play style of using the character for farming or just pk. I see the usefulness in having at least 15 in mastery

Polak Extraordinaire Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by StickyBumper View Post
    So I guess it's really based on the play style of using the character for farming or just pk. I see the usefulness in having at least 15 in mastery
    If you intend to play mage, and intend to play with a clan that isn't a mage clan, your only choice is support mage, with a mace shield and going lightning / ice (depending on the server and what resistances look like).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast