Thoughts on the new mage skills and spells.

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the new mage skills and spells. within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Just my thoughts, any comments are appreciated, would be nice to get a proper discussion going here for once. Master ...
Page: 1

Solstice

Default Thoughts on the new mage skills and spells.

Just my thoughts, any comments are appreciated, would be nice to get a proper discussion going here for once.

Master Skills:

Mana Shield: Level 72

Interesting skill this, I'm guessing its the dev's way of adding another skill like matchless but allowing them to stack. Matchless is of course a great skill and so an almost identical skill is great, however the difference is that mana shield is cast like a normal spell... so depending on the cooldown time and how long the effects last this spell will either be awesome or completely useless. The mana cost is *4, which isn't bad. If a warrior hits 600 normally, he will hit 510 at the cost of 360 mana which isn't bad, although that mp cost could mean it only being used defensively by paper mages with their low mp pool. It will also be interesting to see whether the 15% is taken after the 15% of matchless or both at the same time - in which the damage reduction will be even higher.

Instantly Magic: Level 75

Well first of all the name needs a change because "magicing" someone makes no sense at all, but what about the spell itself. I'm kinda split on this one, because there is no doubt that it is an awesome skill, however it makes mage even more skilless than it has already become. Now the level 70 retards who only know how to drop a meteor can now drop 2 meteors! Easy np. Obviously beneficial to fire mage, and not too bad for a light or ice mage either.

Minor Resist: Level 80

Wow. What the FUCK is this. A 20% resist debuff aura. Now mages have longed for some kind of resistance debuff for a while, but this is a joke. When I get tormented (a lvl 57 spell) I take up to 1000 damage more than when i'm not debuffed. A 20% resist debuff on my character will reduce my fire resist by 20, and my lightice resist by 9. 9! OH SHIT IM FUCKED NOW. Seriously, I've never looked at the exact effects of resistances but a reduction of 20 fire resist is going to do 100 extra damage, max. I'd like the give figures on the effects of the debuff on stun and ice rate but the whole ice and stun system is completely fucked up and pretty much impossible to calculate.

Oh, and not only are the debuff effects shite, but this spell is an Aura(according to the website). Now my experience with auras in other games are that they are near enough permanent, although this spell has mp usage so who knows how it works. If it's not permanent it sure as hell better have at least a 5minute duration. Also, being an aura it means that it affects an area around your character rather than being cast like an aoe spell. What does this mean? It means that in order to debuff someone you're going to have to run into the opposition. Yeah, like I'm going to run into a party of people in order to get an extra 100 damage. It also means that once a player is out of aura range they won't be debuffed anymore, so you can't even use this skill for asshole purposes like those fucking torment and town battle priests.

I'm really hoping that the devs aren't complete morons and will make me eat my words with this skills's awesomeness once someone gets it, but for now I'd say aim for a second level 45 aoe instead.

Shared Spells

Level 72: Elemental Staff

Stronger blade I guess, would like to see the damage on this one. Great for a lightning mage, decent for a fire mage, kinda shit for an ice mage assuming it still doesn't slow although i'd still like to know the damage it does. I look forward to testing it myself one day but I hit 60 near 2 years ago and I'm 61.70 now so I don't think ill be reaching 72 any time soon.

Level 75: Elemental Armour

From the description on the website the impression I get of this is that its a shield buff with effects to those attacking the person with the buff. Fire gives DoT damage to attacks, ice slows, and light stuns. As an ice mage this spell excites me because ice mage always seems to draw the short straw but here I think Ice has the best version of the spell. Buff your party up go into battle and watch all those fucking warriors slow to a crawl. Running from a sin? Every hit he does he risks being slowed. Awesome, finally an incentive to be an ice mage in pk. The only concern is that when both sides have the ice buff pk is going to be slow motion with everyone getting slowed . This is not saying that fire and light versions are bad, they are also very good.. being a level 75 spell I imagine the fire version will have quite a hefty DoT, 100+ damage per second. Hopefully the Armour spells won't stack, let's see some more ice mages in this game.

Fire Mage:

Level 80: Vampiric Fire

Single target nuke I guess. No doubt super high damage and you get some life leech thrown in for free.

Level 80: Igzination

What the fuck is an Igzination? Looks like an aoe nuke, improved version of meteor. Perfect for skilless level whores, Igzination + Instantly Magic + Igzination + Meteor + Nova = easy noskill np.

Lightning

Level 80: Blink

Awesome spell. Obviously useful for escaping, good luck killing a level 80 light mage when he has 30% damage reduction, stun armour, and the ability to teleport away at will. Think I read that debuffers get a huge aoe mana debuff though so they will be the ones to combat this skill. This skill is also great for teleporting behind the enemy party for sneaky stun ownage, or teleporting into advantageous position to tp your party. (eg. towards harpies in order to come up behind the 12 o clock zerg rush).

Ice

Level 80: Freezing Distance

Errr, not sure what to say on this one, the description is kinda vague. I'm guessing it does some nice damage being level 80 and all, but how the freezing works is uncertain. Most ice spells say a chance to slow, this says a chance to freeze, so maybe it freezes on the spot like stun. At least the "freezing" isn't random but depends on the opponents hp - it doesn't say whether high or low hp produces the freeze effect though. High hp would probably be best. Single target, good for isolating someone from their party I guess, nothing else to say really.

Conclusion:
    Level 80 master sucks.
    Fire mage becomes even more skill-less, start making your +5 resist uniques now.
    Light mage becomes an unkillable tank stun machine motherfucker
    Ice mage gets more useful with ice armour, although ice will always be disadvantaged all the time swift pots are around.

AllTheWay

u dont get it do you, its not about the amazing attack blabla.
    its about this:
    imagine a 3 level 80 mage party.
    i dont really know how to caculate but im pretty sure they can have
    level 80 nova, level 70 nova, level 60 nova, level 60 nova[2nd], level 60 nova[maybe?] and all the other crap [inferno blizzard thunder cloud].
    think about that, they can OWN.
    now thats amazing

Solstice

Originally posted by AllTheWay
    u dont get it do you, its not about the amazing attack blabla.
    its about this:
    imagine a 3 level 80 mage party.
    i dont really know how to caculate but im pretty sure they can have
    level 80 nova, level 70 nova, level 60 nova, level 60 nova[2nd], level 60 nova[maybe?] and all the other crap [inferno blizzard thunder cloud].
    think about that, they can OWN.
    now thats amazing
    What part don't I get? I dunno where I said OMG MAGE NEEDS ATTACK. If I thought like that I wouldn't be an ice mage.

(\/) (;,,;) (\/) Why not Zoidberg? Admin camaz0tz's Avatar

honestly ice mages always get the shaft...personally i think ice mages should get a skill like slows the enemy's casting speed for a duration of time....either a single attack or aoe...aoe might be a bit excessive unless they give it an insanely long cooldown and a small range like the new blind skill but i think this would really be good and a nice tactical thing...of course itd be able to be cured like all other slow type things

just my opinion though xD i dont think getting a 180 ac buff is justifiable for giving ice mages no new skills, ever!

also i believe the interpretationg of the armors is wrong...i think its more like u put an element "armor" on the enemy which slows, stuns, or dots them...kinda like throwing them in an iron maiden

Solstice

Heh, I hope I didn't interpret it wrong for the sake of my class . Think I read that it works as a buff on the website but its down now so I can't check. And yeah, ice barrier is the most pointless spell ever, give me thorn please.

Ice mage will get weaker as priests start gaining levels.. I believe one priest tree gives aoe cure. Well that's gg blizzard then isn't it, might as well all become fire mages.

Originally posted by Solstice
    Heh, I hope I didn't interpret it wrong for the sake of my class . *Think I read that it works as a buff on the website but its down now so I can't check. *And yeah, ice barrier is the most pointless spell ever, give me thorn please.

Ice mage will get weaker as priests start gaining levels.. I believe one priest tree gives aoe cure. *Well that's gg blizzard then isn't it, might as well all become fire mages.
    buffer priest lvl 70 gets it...not many priests go buffer though