Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Upcoming changes

This is a discussion on Upcoming changes within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Originally Posted by MyDestiny If the post count doesn't save at the new forum the registration date needs to... Many ...
Page: 2

Senior Member MySexualIntention's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyDestiny View Post
    If the post count doesn't save at the new forum the registration date needs to... Many people use this as a safe way to know who to trade with.

Also, how are you goin to avoid new players from posting in market place?
    My thoughts exactly. Glad I thought of it.
    ExclusiveBastard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    first

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT IMPORTANt
    poor razy wonder if your 500 like`s will be gone too;P
    JimX and ExclusiveBastard like this.

Being famous for the post count is nothing to be proud of. Poor razor, yes, but not the way you guys mean it.

Little archer Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by StonedFreerider View Post
    Being famous for the post count is nothing to be proud of. Poor razor, yes, but not the way you guys mean it.
    Another idiot who thinks I'm serious lol.
    zuka likes this.

much serious

Another quality post, way to go... Serious or not, what you say usually sucks either way
    Rec7on likes this.

Senior Member MySexualIntention's Avatar

Bitch you gonna get OJ'd.

Little archer Senior Member

Another quality post, way to go... Serious or not, what you say usually sucks either way
    If you say so. (le adhominem attacks xdxd, way to take the easy way out)

How rustled are your jimmies? I have nothing against you but clearly the same can't be said for you. Stay mad.

I don't wanna derail the thread (even more) so I'll stop now. Geez...

Ancient Tribesman Moderator Darken's Avatar
    In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

+1 to:
    - keeping registered date
    - private website real time messenger
    - Keeping likes & likes system if it can be done

BTW: Any reason why we cant keep post count? Nullifying it will probably lead to opposite of what was intended --> Some people will be spamming their asses off to have highest post counts in forum, which definitely wont have any quality add..
    BTW2: Looking forward to some hopefully positive changes and adds

Adi
    Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devile View Post
    It's been a while since I post something that really matters in this website. For the past years, I've been inactive and the site has been slowly dying. Mods and Admins have done pretty much everything they could, but without someone who can actually add stuff to the platform, there isn't much they can do. Obviously, the fact a lot of admins/mods don't play the games the site is focused on doesn't help either, but still, there's a ton of things that the community has requested and I haven't added because I have other priorities besides G4L/KO4Life.

Well, that's about to change. I don't have a specific date yet, but in the upcoming days/weeks I will be migrating this site to Xenforo, a different forum software which is a lot better than vBulletin in many ways. vBulletin development is not only dead and extremely bugged, but a huge part of its mod community has abandoned them and moved to Xenforo. This means we will lose some features and will have to adjust to how this new software works, but we will also gain a lot of new stuff that will help improve your experience.

• Why should we believe you now after so long? Not asking anyone to believe me. Already invested $300 in licensing and mods for the site. This will happen regardless of anyone believing me or not.
    • The site is dead, too late!!! I dont care. This will be done anyway. I know there are quite a few here and will probably like the changes. Who knows
    • Will you finally add a feedback system for trades? Yes, this will be part of the changes.
    • Shoutbox, chat? Yes, I'll add that too. No idea which flavor tho, but there will be a shoutbox for the forum.
    • Will our passwords change? No
    • Will our post count change? Yes, but the way I see it, post count won't be that important anymore.
    • Do you have a list of changes? Not yet, but as soon as I have one, I'll make it public.
    • Please add X feature/mod? I'll be reading this topic almost daily. I can't promise I'll add everything requested but if it makes sense and its something most need, I'll see if it can be added.
    • What's the current status? Just started and there's already a test site up, fully migrated with all users, posts, avatars, etc. I've opened a twitter account so you guys can see what's going on: @Official_G4L. I don't tweet shit 24x7, just important stuff about the site. Also, this will help you know when we are down cause of DDoS attacks, hosting maintenance, etc.
    • Is there an ETA? Not yet. Is too soon to tell, but I wan't this done ASAP. Biggest challenge is make sure we keep our URLs. Once that's covered, I'll test the mods we need and make sure the cosmetic side is ok. Most likely this will happen this month, but it depends on my availability.
    • Glad to see you active again, can you help me out with X? No. Please contact any mod or admin. I'm focused on this and I don't have time for general day to day tasks.

If you have suggestions, all are welcome.
    First of all, good job Devile! I'm happy to see some changes finally

Well, I don't know if its too late but I personally would go with IP.Board instead of Xenforo.
    there's a lot more options in IPB and nowadays they keep updating it every two-three weeks, with more secruity improvements and some general updates about system.
    I find it more handy than Xenforo or vBulletin and I'm pretty sure that other people will do as well.

I converted a forum from vBulletin to IPB and saved all the :
    topics , posts , post count , registaration date etc..
    there's a software invision power developed that allow you to convert your forum from WHATEVER to ipb, and save most of the stuff you had there.
    Its really simple.

P.S -> think about adding arrowchat/cometchat as well or maybe instead of the shoutbox.
    It would be more useful&handy than shoutbox.

Anyway, Good Luck.

first

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT IMPORTANt
    hahahahahaha razor's nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by MyDestiny View Post
    Also, how are you goin to avoid new players from posting in market place?
    I'm pretty sure there's an option in every single forum system for that, so it will be the same as this forum.

Ancient Tribesman Moderator Darken's Avatar
    In deep d4rk forest, with thick mists is something valuable hidden.The Village of Golden Tribesman

Also I would post some suggestions. Some may not like it, but this is the only way imho how to turn this site more professional, and eventually expand it instead of shrink it, and kill it.

Staff should be paid for their job, and they should have more duties. Getting paid, would give them more motivation to actually work for the website not against it. What we have seen in the past when mods thought that banning as many people as possible would bring them some credit here, but instead it was just killing this forum. I never been a mod ,but still maybe I've done more for this site than some of them. As a part of my trading process I usually ask unknown people if they do have the G4L forum account. If they don't, i send them here to register. This way, I alone have brought here during past years, really good amount of members. As many of you know, I have really made trades here with hundreds of users. (not claiming I have brought all of them here )
    Anyway, back to the point, if staff is Working, - and bringing a positive noticeable results they could receive some payments for their work as satisfaction, and to boost their motivation.

Possible sources of website's income:
    - Donation option, with donators recognized here. (we had this before, was disabled who knows why)
    - Advertisement (not too much of that sh*t for regular members) Alot more of that annoying sh** for non registered users thus forcing them to register and becoming members.
    - This forum always was used as trading platform for KO players. Why not come up with feedback system where if two trading parties wants to add feedback with each other, they will have to pay lets say 1$ each, and then both will be able to give each other good feedbacks.

I hope this payment system would bring motivated people to actually WORK for the benefit of everyone. They would have list of duties such as advertising this site at as many other webs as possible, taking care of forum, and web, and just about any creative and positive work they can come up with. This can only work if highest staff ranks / owners dont get greedy, and can eventually recognize and honor their staff for what their are doing appropriately.

This system would also make some accounts pretty $ worthy, thus most members even if they would quit one of games where they were trading (KO or others) they would NOT want to loose account where their feedback system costed them lets say 150$, and they have donated 50$ or so. They would value their accounts, for easily online accessible refferences usable just for about anything. And thus they would think twice before flaming, posting some bannable nonsense, scamming someone for 5$ after quitting ko etc. Also mods would think twice (or more times) before using bann hammer on some valuable members, from whom they are being paid off.

These are few of the ways that I see could not only keep stable membes levels, but also gradually increase them. I was thinking of coming with something like this myself, but then it turned it would be more than I could handle, so I'm just sharing this ideas, hoping they would bring good results
    Goathorns likes this.

Reach some amount of post to use Shoutbox e.g 200 post to use shoutbox with 1 minutes cool down and 500 post with 15 second .etc

IPBoard is abit old forum , Xenforo has some new things that make its way better

Quote Originally Posted by Darken View Post
    Possible sources of website's income:
    - Donation option, with donators recognized here. (we had this before, was disabled who knows why)
    - Advertisement (not too much of that sh*t for regular members) Alot more of that annoying sh** for non registered users thus forcing them to register and becoming members.
    - This forum always was used as trading platform for KO players. Why not come up with feedback system where if two trading parties wants to add feedback with each other, they will have to pay lets say 1$ each, and then both will be able to give each other good feedbacks.

I hope this payment system would bring motivated people to actually WORK for the benefit of everyone. They would have list of duties such as advertising this site at as many other webs as possible, taking care of forum, and web, and just about any creative and positive work they can come up with. This can only work if highest staff ranks / owners dont get greedy, and can eventually recognize and honor their staff for what their are doing appropriately.
    On that note, this forum could probably make a killing off stickied PSKO adverts, being probably the main source for these adverts for the english community.
    I know it's been suggested a lot, but if money was ever an issue, I think it really would be best suited for this community.

Quote Originally Posted by ™Infected™ View Post
    First of all, good job Devile! I'm happy to see some changes finally

Well, I don't know if its too late but I personally would go with IP.Board instead of Xenforo.
    there's a lot more options in IPB and nowadays they keep updating it every two-three weeks, with more secruity improvements and some general updates about system.
    I find it more handy than Xenforo or vBulletin and I'm pretty sure that other people will do as well.

I converted a forum from vBulletin to IPB and saved all the :
    topics , posts , post count , registaration date etc..
    there's a software invision power developed that allow you to convert your forum from WHATEVER to ipb, and save most of the stuff you had there.
    Its really simple.
    As much as I love(d) IPB, it's also been a damn PITA lately, with changes doing things like ridiculously breaking post compatibility; go edit a post, and the post completely screws up. Let's just say that's not fun to deal with when they're large posts that absolutely need updating (after they're modified, they behave fine -- until the next time the forum updates). Scarily, it's also happened each of the last 3 times I've updated it. I believe that ~3.1.x (or maybe even 3.0.x? I forget) was the last version that behaved reliably in this manner, but lately I have my doubts. Granted, it's really only that one main issue that persistently causes grief, but damn.

Anyway, Devile's already invested $300 in Xenforo, so it's a little late for suggestions. =p

Bit off-topic, sorry.

Adi
    Banned Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by twostars View Post
    As much as I love(d) IPB, it's also been a damn PITA lately, with changes doing things like ridiculously breaking post compatibility; go edit a post, and the post completely screws up. Let's just say that's not fun to deal with when they're large posts that absolutely need updating (after they're modified, they behave fine -- until the next time the forum updates). Scarily, it's also happened each of the last 3 times I've updated it. I believe that ~3.1.x (or maybe even 3.0.x? I forget) was the last version that behaved reliably in this manner, but lately I have my doubts. Granted, it's really only that one main issue that persistently causes grief, but damn.

Anyway, Devile's already invested $300 in Xenforo, so it's a little late for suggestions. =p

Bit off-topic, sorry.
    Whut? I'm using IPB 3.4.5 right now, and I never had any of this issues..
    I'm editing big topics/posts just like you said and I've never seen this problem..
    And I started working with IPB since 3.0.x, I kept updating it everytime we had some update but I never really had any issues with it..

Which version are you using?

And well, I believe its not too late for getting a refund if he really wants to go for IP.Board I believe they would refund him for the license he bought.
    Its not too late :-)

But if he don't want to.. then good luck to him with Xenforo, I just never really liked the way Xenforo works.
    I believe the members here would love IPB more than anything else.

For me.. IPB>vB>MyBB>Xenforo.

Quote Originally Posted by ™Infected™ View Post
    Whut? I'm using IPB 3.4.5 right now, and I never had any of this issues..
    I'm editing big topics/posts just like you said and I've never seen this problem..
    And I started working with IPB since 3.0.x, I kept updating it everytime we had some update but I never really had any issues with it..

Which version are you using?
    I've updated a while after each major release, so it's been happening for a while.
    Code tags especially tend to screw things up, so I actually tend to avoid using them as much as I can for future version changes. I'm not entirely sure if they're the entire reason for it (might explain why you haven't run into it?), but otherwise it's a fairly vanilla setup (still haven't gotten around to installing updated mods after one of the 3.x updates).

It doesn't even need to be a large post -- it's just really painful when it is.

See, for instance, I took a random post from 2011 (last on a thread list), which is fairly small. A screenshot, a code block (with a link inside).
    Edit, looks fine, save. Seems screwed up.
    Load it up in the editor again, and you can see how very mangled it is.
    http://pastebin.com/bxbQaYeb
    (I changed the [] to <> for the code block, just for this post)
    EDIT: vBulletin's screwing me around, parsing contents of [code] blocks. Shifted it to pastebin.

As you can see, in this case it totally screwed up the post because of the link in the code block. It's just... very screwed up. The links, ugh.
    It'll evaluate the same* post perfectly fine after it's been manually restored (*it stores it differently in the database is why).

It's frustrating as hell.

Now imagine that on a long post with roughly 80 links (not inside code blocks); it had a lot of fun randomly placing the links wherever it felt like, all over the post. Took me forever to rewrite it.

There's been a few official threads on it, which usually get resolved, until it pops up... again. So many issues with post parsing lately, which is fairly surprising for a very mature product like this.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. =p
    Last edited by twostars; 01-05-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Sigh, vBulletin. Why are you parsing [code] blocks?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast