Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Update from ko i guess.

This is a discussion on Update from ko i guess. within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; well since no 1 posted this yet im&#39;a do it ;D http://forum.knightonlineworld.com/forum_e...howtopic=206994 1. IN-GAME SECURITY</span> a. Cheating • Bring a ...
Page: 1

BK Programmer Senior Member sexyswed's Avatar

well since no 1 posted this yet im&#39;a do it ;D

http://forum.knightonlineworld.com/forum_e...howtopic=206994

1. IN-GAME SECURITY</span>

a. Cheating

• Bring a new security software (like the old xtrap)

We’re working on that right now – there are a number of changes we’re making to the actual client and server before we can incorporate something like this, in order to make sure it fits as well as it possibly can. We’re targeting a release of mid-July though, as always, complications may extend this deadline.

• Link accounts to citizenship ID&#39;s to maintain account responsibility.

(Can’t do that I, for one, would never sign up for any video game that asked my national ID number in order to play. It also shifts the burden of responsibility away from us for trying to create as cheat-free of a game as possible. We don’t want to take any shortcuts. In a perfect world we could discourage everyone from cheating, but in reality we simply need to make it as difficult and annoying to cheat as possible.

• Grant clan leaders certain previliges and minor GM abilities against cheating.

It’s common knowledge there are just way, way too many cheaters, and this is one way of cutting down on that. But not, I don’t think, the best way. We need a way of allowing the community instant ability to bubble up information regarding who is cheating and a way to distribute that information out to the s.ystems the same way GMs do. A version of this is already in the works, though I don’t exactly know when it will be complete.

• Grant certain estimated players a voluntary GM position with limited anti-cheat GM previliages.

This isn’t really my place to say, but the tools and ability to which GMs have access is proprietary and limited. Granting this to a number of people who aren’t even in the organization will likely cause way more problems than it solves.

• Sustain the homogenity of cheating penalties regardless of the level, zone, player standing etc.

I’m curious where the breach in the sustenance of homogenity when it comes to penalizing cheaters occurs to even engender this question being asked

• More frequent patches to prevent cheating schemes from catching the game version.

We’ve been patching a lot lately. Expect a lot more. But this is mostly up to the developer.

• Redesign the game codes in a way to make it more difficultly exposed to cheating schemes.

I’ve been suggesting this for a while I don’t think it’s terribly feasible though.

• Create a "Knight Online 2" with up-to-date codes and security and transfer the current accounts into that game.

Maybe some day! But right now we’ve got to focus on what we’ve got.

• Class abilities facilitating cheating like "Rogue&#39;s Arrow Shower" should be redesigned to avoid any related cheats.

I wholeheartedly agree.

• If a player remains in the same coordinate for too long while pulling and killing monsters, they should get disconnected.

This could be done, but cheaters will simply modify their programs to respond to something like this without any real interruption in their activities, I think.

• Establish a s ystem which detects if a player exhibits a degree of success that can only be performed through cheats or not and take the necessary action.

We’re in the process of evaluating this right now – it’s got to be automated to work properly, though, and this is where the bulk of the time is going to be taken up.

• Get rid of the button Z and only enable manual target selection with the mouse. (3x unpopular)

We asked about this in the past and everyone said NO so we’re not doing it

• Add an interface element into the game which enables players to report any cheating suspect to the GM.

Once the new functionality is integrated into the s.ystem for reporting cheaters (this is why the old s.ystem was removed from the website) this is planned as the next step.

• Revise the rentable items s ystem in a way to avoid encouraging cheating.

We’ll take a look at it – suggestions on this front would be considered valuable by the KOL team.

• Like in web page account registrations, create a s ystem to ask certain codes on different parts of the screen in order to prevent macro usage and afk farming.

We’ll definitely talk to the developer about incorporating such a s.ystem, though I think the level of sophistication of our hackers far exceeds that of other games, and I wouldn’t put it past them to be able to read the location of the code on the screen and input it.
    b. Game File Editing

• Encrypt the game files in order to prevent editing.

They are encrypted now :P

• Put all the tbl files on the server side.

This requires lots of CPU cycles. At a very base level, KOL server CPUs spend their cycles on two things: Players, and server side commands. The more players in the game, the less cycles the server can spend checking items/skills/etc. The more times it checks items/skills/etc, the less players can be in the game. As it stands, if everything were moved server side . . . there would be practically nobody to play with  For the record, these are the sorts of decisions we have to make all the time that makes things so difficult. The choice seems clear, right? Put everything on the server side. But then that ruins the gameplay experience because then you have nobody to PK with or against.

c. “Nation Point” Transfer Abuse

• Let the consecutive player kills to diminish the nation point returned to the player in a diminishing returns manner.

I’d love for all consecutive kills to automatically suspend the player pending review by a GM – hopefully a s.ystem for this can be designed.

• Put a certain limit to the number of kills of the same character a player can reach, (like killing the same character 10 times in a minute) and automatically ban the player if he exceeds that.

Again, great suggestion and I’d love to do something just like this (Phase-1 Answer)

We’re trying to do that, but we’re also not big fans of trying to offload everything to the developer – which is what changes in the game require. A s.ystem we’re currently testing is having the GMs pore through the NP gains for the previous day, on a daily basis. NP gains that spike, or exhibit extra-normal behavior get examined, and can result in suspensions and reduction of NP (Phase-2 Answer)

• Put a respawn timer for the characters that are killed. (e.g. you have to wait 30 seconds after dying.)

Sure, we’ll bring it up with the developers.

• Put a cooldown for the priests&#39; resurrection ability (e.g. 10 minutes)

Not to sound like a broken record, but again – great suggestion, we’ll bring it up. It’s important to note, however, that the developers designed the game how they want it to function, and in a lot of instances when we have good ideas like this they oppose it not because they are mean ogres, but because for whatever reason it doesn’t fit into their vision for Knight Online.

d. Item Duplication
    • Items which are practically impossible to achieve (e.g. Ring of Felankor +3) should be investigated by the s ystem and their source should be tracked.

We don’t have some magical box called “the s.ystem” that does everything we want it to when we want it to. We’re currently investigating all sorts of crazy items like this, and hope to have some results out soon! Don’t go buying any duped items

e. Technical Bug Abuse
    • Re-design the Felankor/Isiloon&#39;s cave to prevent cheaters luring into the wall or make monsters static.

We’d love to do that; unfortunately, that kind of change is likely not coming anytime soon. We’re looking at administrative changes, such as mapping out areas in the zones

f. Punishment System: Severity and Consistency

• Punishments should be changed into a more deterrent fashion than terminating.

No. If we change it to something like “Well if you get caught twice then we ban you” that just means to players “SWEET, I get to cheat once before I have to stop cheating”.

• Instead of total account terminations, there could be gradually increasing punishments for cheat convicts (e.g. 30-60-90 days suspensions for repetations of the same crime)
    • Forgive the previous account terminations and take these accounts under observation to track the repetation of the same crime, and ban the account forever if that person is found cheating again. (2x unpopular)

No

• Make immediate private and public announcements about the reasons of the termination for the accounts which are banned or whose ban is removed.

We already make announcements when an account is banned. Also no, all accounts that are unbanned pass through the review of three separate individuals. If ever there were a case of some account being unblocked for no reason, it would be caught immediately and reversed. In the unlikely event that you see a ban being removed going forward, it is because the ban duration has expired or an account which has been temporarily blocked for investigation is being released.

• Make use of other deterrant in game factors such as muting, prohibition of access into certain game zones and game events (e.g. PvP zones) other than account termination in order to prevent cheat usage.

We tried that in a limited fashion with the jail zone. There are probably still some cheaters sitting in there hoping they’ll get out some day. It was reasonably successful, but at the end of the day we have so much work to do rooting cheaters out of the game, and these additional s.ystems take far more time to enact than a ban – for people that don’t even warrant the extra care since they are already proving not to be a valuable, legit player, but a cheater – that it makes more sense just to perform bans.

• Make no exceptions for permanent bans, that would encourage more cheating.
    • Open up a new server for cheaters and transfer them over there, so that they will not need to create a new account and keep cheating after getting banned.

Er, no. Cheating is bad because cheating is bad, not just because some people want to do it and some people don’t.
    g. Chat Abuse and Advertising

• In different chat channeles there could be certain user chat cooldowns (e.g. can post once every 10 seconds in general chat)

We’ve been trying for that very thing lately.

h. Offensive Language and Naming Policy

• There could be a s ystem to examine in game public chat and mails (not party, clan or ally chat) to find certain profanity words and automatically apply minor penalties to these users.

This is a good idea; however, all the computers and personnel that might be running a s.ystem like this are currently working on all of the abovementioned measures and probably can’t be spared.

• Just like in the official KOL forums, the characters could have a warning bar associated to them ranging from 0% to 100%. This bar could incremantally fill up with every warning and the user may get a timed mute penalty when it reaches 100% (e.g. muted for 1 month)

We have a sort of back end warning s.ystem for minor infractions, but it never becomes visible on the user end of the account. The best way to avoid is by just playing clean.

• Implement a standardization for the character names in the game: i.e. All names start with capitals and follow with small letters, no numbers or non-english characters allowed. This could help (among many things) prevent the usage of buggy names created with a combination of L, l, I, i, etc..

That’s a great idea; finding the bandwidth to implement it is the real challenge.

i. Other

• Prevent some characters with bad reputations related to cheating or other abuses from clearing up their records by using Name/Nation Change Scrolls.

A reputation is given by how you act, and by that very fact it has no manifestation in a technological s.ystem. Who decides who is disreputable? A computer can’t. A person can’t, because people can’t be trusted to be completely impartial. A group of people can’t, because then you could get large groups of people to gang up on someone they don’t like (because that person dominates them in PVP, for instance). At the end of the day, I’m not really a big fan of the name change scroll in general; you should be held responsible for your actions.

• Revise the item drop ratings and the overall game difficulty in a way to decrease cheating inclination.

I would argue that Knight Online reached the height of its popularity due to its difficulty. I don’t think this is a suggestion we could count on implementing.

• Bring special control mechanisms for primary cheating zones like Eslant and Bifrost slots.

<span style="color:#6600CC">Such as?
    [/b]

okey so u got it there

there won&#39;t be any knight online 2 xD

they just made my day when they said we gotta focus on what we got

and exactly what do they got? :P

im pretty sure some one already posted this

Edit: Link http://www.ko4life.com/forums/index....owtopic=293178

Banned

" I think the level of sophistication of our hackers far exceeds that of other games, and I wouldn’t put it past them to be able to read the location of the code on the screen and input it."

I&#39;d have to agree with this one. We place alot of blame on K2 doing nothing about this, but there are some very talented hackers doing their very best to fuck this game up. I kinda feel bad for them, because they can no longer allocate resources on stuff like "gm events" and what not, they gotta focus on banning cheaters.

Cheating fags: you fucked the game up, not K2.

wawh

they&#39;re idiots

this is just publicity

BK Programmer Senior Member sexyswed's Avatar

im pretty sure some one already posted this

Edit: Link http://www.ko4life.com/forums/index....owtopic=293178[/b]
    it&#39;s not the same

=)

It seems like 90% is saying good idea! and the rest actually something with a point.

Guys, be optimistic, at least they act like they would care...

like there care about bringing back select character

i really want see 10 % of that working w/o new (bigger) bugs...

zrocker0404

Well for the Archer Shower thing, i wouldnt be mad is they took AS out IF

They increase Dark Pursuer by 100% damage to make it 450% XD

But that wont happen lol

Well for the Archer Shower thing, i wouldnt be mad is they took AS out IF

They increase Dark Pursuer by 100% damage to make it 450% XD

But that wont happen lol[/b]

Ya or make lvl 80 skill no cool down

Seaside? Senior Member Leo_BREMEN's Avatar

• Grant clan leaders certain previliges and minor GM abilities against cheating.[/b]
    -.- we got that on JpKo....it was shit....top5 clan leader could give 1day banns to ppl and there was a roumore, that if u get 3 of this 24h banns u ll be banned permanant....that ment u just had to equip a bow and dont speak jp --> 24h bann.....once i was lvling my mage at zombies, attila showed up, i hit him with my inferno aoe.....the jp camper was crying i ks&#39;ed --> 24h break....

Ignore Me Senior Member

I agree with the person making the replies!

Probably Linus doesn&#39;t read like Castellan.

Roll on new cheat reporting - and report.

Ignore Me Senior Member

Well for the Archer Shower thing, i wouldnt be mad is they took AS out IF[/b]
    If you tank with 5 arrows you run up and AS at melee range.

Everyone has been saying for a year. No need to fire arrows. Just do 5 arrow damages at melee range.

If they change - it will be to that.

-.- we got that on JpKo....it was shit....top5 clan leader could give 1day banns to ppl and there was a roumore, that if u get 3 of this 24h banns u ll be banned permanant....that ment u just had to equip a bow and dont speak jp --> 24h bann.....once i was lvling my mage at zombies, attila showed up, i hit him with my inferno aoe.....the jp camper was crying i ks&#39;ed --> 24h break....[/b]
    Thats why they should have something like report player only, or even top 5 clan members too. So ppl can easy report cheaters and GM can take action on a person who got a bit of reports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast