windows 7 quicklaunch bar

This is a discussion on windows 7 quicklaunch bar within the General Chat forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; up until about a week or so ago i was just dragging shortcuts onto the taskbar thinking that it was ...
Page: 1

Default windows 7 quicklaunch bar

up until about a week or so ago i was just dragging shortcuts onto the taskbar thinking that it was putting them on the quicklaunch bar, but it wasnt. when you open a program it screws up your taskbar and pushes the shortcuts over. so i googled a way to fix this and apparently windows 7 quicklaunch is disabled and you have to create your own quicklaunch bar, so heres how to do it:

1. Right click on a empty space on the taskbar and click on New Tool. (See screenshot below)
    2. In the Folder line, type or copy: (See screenshot below)
    %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    3. Click on the Select Folder button. (See screenshot above)

4. You now have a Quick Launch toolbar on the taskbar. (See screenshot below)
    NOTE: Click on the arrow to see your Quick Launch shortcuts

source:
    Quick Launch - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

heres how it looks afterwards:

you can set it to big or small icons, and when you open a program it wont push all your other quicklaunch shortcuts over
    (also when you lock your taskbar those dotted lines will go away (the ones used to control the size of your quicklaunch bar))
    Last edited by giga; 01-24-2010 at 02:17 AM.

can't you just pin stuff to the taskbar?

Quote Originally Posted by SlmShady View Post
    can't you just pin stuff to the taskbar?
    go ahead and read the first sentence again.................

this is what your shortcuts look like after you've opened them after pinning them to the taskbar

it opens one copy, hides the shortcut and pushes all the other shortcuts over and it looks gay

setting up the quicklaunch bar gives you a permanent stationary shortcut bar just like in windows xp and vista

I use the squarish taskbar icons, so opening one of the programs doesn't affect the orientation of my other pinned programs. Opening multiple copies is a valid point though.

evilwevel

that's what you get if you want to stick with weird vista like taskbars

that's the way i use my taskbar, like it's meant to be. you just hover over the icon and you immediately get the preview screen from which you can choose what windows you want to make active.

having those vista like stretched active programs is just a waste of space imo.

Banned Senior Member

This is for the "Windows XP" look guys. If you prefer your shortcuts to be icons and windows to be bars in taskbar. Imo it just ruins the whole point of the super bar :P