About DNS Servers

This is a discussion on About DNS Servers within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Okay I don't know much about them, only that your ISP issues you them to allow you to access websites ...
Page: 1

Okay I don't know much about them, only that your ISP issues you them to allow you to access websites etc. But recently something happened to my internet & I can only access certain websites.

For instance I can come here, but I can't goto google, check email etc. So I read a little bit on them and found that there are free/fast/public servers for you to use, the only thing I am not sure about, is that is this safe? Like whoever owns these dns servers or whatever, can they see what websites I visit or anything personal I wouldn't just want anyone to know?

I am using a public one now, and it seems websites I visit load a lot faster, but this is just temporary until I can get through with my ISP support because I keep getting some lady that hardly speaks english -.- But if I have nothing to worry about with my privacy then I rather keep the ones I am using.

I also don't have a hosts file, I didn't think I needed one, but I added things like google.com and it doesn't help.

Thanks for any help guys/gals

evilwevel

i don't think a DNS server has anything to do with faster or slower loading of webpages.

as far as i know DNS servers only enable you to find where the website is stored so you can download / view it.

Hmm not sure either, all I know is my ISP's DNS servers wasn't allowing me to view many pages.

It's fixed now though, I don't use a free public one anymore.

But thanks anyway

mammlea2

using a free DNS is a bad idea.

BANNED FOR SCAMMING!

If your own ISPs DNS is going crazy, talk to a friend who is on another ISP and try and use their DNS server instead. That way you are still getting a "trustable" DNS server. There shouldn't be any issues with using a public one though. The only downside is they make a juicier target for hackers.