Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone know a fix?

This is a discussion on anyone know a fix? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; my internet just goes out for like 10-15sec like every 30min. its so impossible to even surf internet. anyone can ...
Page: 1

my internet just goes out for like 10-15sec like every 30min. its so impossible to even surf internet. anyone can help?

Internet
    modem : motorola
    ISP : cox high speed internet
    download speed : 25150kbps http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    upload speed : 4910kbps http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    tested download/upload 6times every hours for 4hours straight. always came out within range of 1000kbps

Computer
    vista home premium
    intel core duo processor E6400
    NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE
    366GB memory
    2GB RAM
    32-BIT system type
    HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC

kreshnik

Did you parents put a limit on how long you can use it? because i know parents can do that on vista. This is my only theory at the moment.

Did you parents put a limit on how long you can use it? because i know parents can do that on vista. This is my only theory at the moment.[/b]
    no one else uses this computer. i got password to turn it on and anothere password to access any data exception to view only as read nothing else

:P so not my parents lol
    any other suggestions?

25 m/b download , fucking hell o.O I want

What connection are you, satellite, DSL , cable and how long ago was it installed?

If it's been recently and DSL sometimes exchanges go to the highest speeds and drop down until they get steady. Are lights on router flashing continously or steady ?

25 m/b download , fucking hell o.O I want

What connection are you, satellite, DSL , cable and how long ago was it installed?

If it's been recently and DSL sometimes exchanges go to the highest speeds and drop down until they get steady. Are lights on router flashing continously or steady ?[/b]
    cable, installed 2 and half years ago. no problem till now.
    my router is completely steady color until the internet drops. then its only power then all lights come on and steady for the time till internet drops agian.

Hypnos

cable, installed 2 and half years ago. no problem till now.
    my router is completely steady color until the internet drops. then its only power then all lights come on and steady for the time till internet drops agian.[/b]
    That means your router is reseting. Get a new router.

That means your router is reseting. Get a new router.[/b]
    replace both router and modem or just router?

fyi. my laptop uses the same internet source yet it never lags or dc.

Just a dumb question but have you tried running a spyware / adware scan and virus check.

If it connects on your laptop it suggests the router / firmware are fine, and the issue is local to your PC. If the PC doesn't have any software problems then it's hardware based (maybe a fucked network card) but then again WHY would the router go off and reset itself

The dumb thing is I've seen this happen before and can't remember what the hell it was :S

Just a dumb question but have you tried running a spyware / adware scan and virus check.

If it connects on your laptop it suggests the router / firmware are fine, and the issue is local to your PC. If the PC doesn't have any software problems then it's hardware based (maybe a fucked network card) but then again WHY would the router go off and reset itself

The dumb thing is I've seen this happen before and can't remember what the hell it was :S[/b]
    i run 5different virus/spyware weekly but ill do it manually tonight agian.
    ill check all the cards and inside for any frying and update in the morning.
    didn't think about that actually

Do you have a secondary router you can test with.

You could try rebooting your router from scratch and that will force it to reintialise and get it's links

TBH though, I'd be tempted to chase it up with your ISP or ask around for anyone with the same provider if they have bveen having problems

Do you have a secondary router you can test with.

You could try rebooting your router from scratch and that will force it to reintialise and get it's links

TBH though, I'd be tempted to chase it up with your ISP or ask around for anyone with the same provider if they have bveen having problems[/b]
    none of the cards or inside is burned. all in good condition.

i don't have anothere router and its like 90$ to get one >.>
    i already formatted the whole system.
    i asked a friend who uses same ISP and he says he can play just fine. called the company they said that their sending full signal.

Couple of different thoughts on this one

1 - Have you tried hooking up JUST the laptop to the router, and then playing your games does it drop off?
    2 - Is the laptop a wired or wireless connection?
    3 - When your desktop drops off, try looking at the event logs in windows, is anything happening when it does?
    4 - Can you logon your router and see if it has any error logs?

Normally when all the lights go out on a router, it's done a reset. This noramlly happens when
    a ) router is shit / faulty
    b ) ISP are doing something with your connection / router and it needs to reset itself or it's firmware is outdated
    c ) something is actually tripping the router and making it go tits up

For c, you could try unplugging the router for 30 secs and connecting power then letting it set itself up again. Do you suffer from power surges in your area, is your house electrics OK ?

Just a few additions for you, btw you say you've had this 2 years and it's broken. What has recently changed in your environment. New PC, new phone line, new power lines ?

If none of these it's related to your ISP / Internet. As a note related to this I personally had an OLD router and it's connection was dropping lots, it was fine when router upgraded. Your router may need replacing, but your ISP should be able to do diagnostics to confirm that.

- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006040716674
    Router test to see if COX ISP is shit

and something else, THIS I'd get checked out more with your ISP because it's certainly true. My internet only supports 2mbs max and it drops constantly when the ISP initiates their automated programs to determine your speed.

I think you need to have a talk with your cable company. Their signal is not strong enough or it is split up too many times.They need to tweak their transmitter on the pole to get you a better connection something like 7 dBmV or at least 3 dBmV. I have had my cable company fix this and I also got a credit for the 2 weeks that this kept happening. Ask and you will recieve.

Sorry for rambling here but I've come to conclusion your ISP is shite and they have done something. If you google Cox High Speed internet and disconnect there are loads of results for people with same problems

Long story short, your PC and house equipment are fine. Your ISP need to sort out their issues

You doing all the diagnostics would only speed up their resolution of the problem, if they were actually a company which were interested in this which I'm sorry to say in my opinion doesn't seem like it

Feel free to do the tests and read up like I mentioned. I'd advise chasing it up with Cox if you want to stay with them. Or pick out a reliable high speed broadband service for your area.

There are some websites where you can find "recommended" ISP's for what you want. Google something like "top 10 Cable ISP's" or something like that.

Hope it helps you

wow puggy thx. thats a lotta work. ill get it done tho =]

i did call up the ISP, they said they gonna send a team and have the whole area inspected cuz my building has been complaining a lot. so by end of wednesday ill find out if its me or the ISP.

my parents gave me a clear that if i find ISP for the same price then i can switch =] im gonna go do some googling.

btw i live in Washington DC, United States. if anyone lives around here and has a good ISP under 59$/monthly lemme kno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast