Best Computer Option? Build or buy?

This is a discussion on Best Computer Option? Build or buy? within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; I have some technical skills with computers but never installed anything into a tower or chasis. How hard is it ...
Page: 1

I have some technical skills with computers but never installed anything into a tower or chasis.

How hard is it to actually build a computer from scratch?

Is it cheaper since I can buy from NEWEGG and get top of the line for cheap?

Its cheaper to build a computer and you have more options with what you want, but if you need a payment plan over the long term or do not want to build it then go with a company.

You can save a lot of money putting it together yourself.

NCIX will put the computer together for you if you pay them a little bit extra, its another one of those sites like newegg.

aruc

at least in my country... build is wayyyy cheaper.

i dont even put the parts together by myself... i call a technician.... even with this im saving like 60% to 100%.

"hand labor" (i dont know if this is the correct term in english) is cheap here, so that helps.

check the market and make the math... As metalkon said the advantage of buying is that you can take a paying plan... but also you dont have to buy all the parts in a single day, do you ?

or if you need it right away, buy a good base that you know in the future can be upgraded as you planning... for example you buy a motherboard... but you dont have all the money to buy all the RAM you want... so buy little RAM just to be around some days/ months.... sell it then buy the RAM you want.
    i know you are wasting but that still is cheaper than buying a whole PC.

Building a PC is EAAAAAAAAAAAASY to say the least

The hardest part is actually matching your components to the job your going to do and the motherboard

i.e - no point spending server build money for a pc that's just going to play DVD's, and it's incorrect to buy DDR-RAM 1000Mhz for a board that only has max of 667MHz - that type of thing.

Stuff like youtube has loads of tuition and there are guides all over net.

IMO, If you can be arsed - build it yourself. If it breaks you get a warranty anyway personally I'd buy the highest priced matched components I could afford (hunt around though) to allow you to expand in future

I couldn't be bothered when I bought my PC so I just purchased an upgrade board + graphics card and power supply

Cost me £150 in total essentially for a new PC (dual core CPU 2gb ram 667 and 512 or 768mb graphics card pci-e)

I could get cheaper and better but it does the job I need for it

evilwevel

build one of course.

get your parts from different shops if you really want the lowest price (check for special discounts) or buy everything at newegg (probably cheap as well, never done it).

and the building itself is really easy. each and every part comes with a manual with pictures that even a retard could follow. not to mention the fact that 99% of your hardware only fits in one slot in one way.

Banned

Banned

I just recently bought the ALX Alienware GAMING DESKTOP with a upgrade on the RAM Memory Card... I got 6 GIGS OF RAM AND ITS SO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just recently bought the ALX Alienware GAMING DESKTOP with a upgrade on the RAM Memory Card... I got 6 GIGS OF RAM AND ITS SO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
    Alienware charges almost twice as much for their products. :unsure:

A $300 Graphic Card is $500-600 when putting it all together on that site, you can buy the best graphic cards on the market for $500-600, if you get the best ones put into your system from alien ware then its at least 50% more.

Banned

Yeah well, it came with liquid cooling system and all I gotta say is that its a terrific gaming desktop from alienware, so smooth and fast if u only need KO on ur computer... nothing else.

Yeah well, it came with liquid cooling system and all I gotta say is that its a terrific gaming desktop from alienware, so smooth and fast if u only need KO on ur computer... nothing else.[/b]
    Can always add that yourself or get ncix to install it.

Ncix puts your computer together for an extra $50 and they have it on for a whole day or something to test it.

Liquid Cooling is like $100-400.

I just recently bought the ALX Alienware GAMING DESKTOP with a upgrade on the RAM Memory Card... I got 6 GIGS OF RAM AND ITS SO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
    All your paying for with Alienware is the name. Nothing more, you usually pay about 5-600 over the top buying Alienware and for that much you can could make your fast pc, even faster for the same price

The only benefit you get with buying from vendors is warranties etc. Even then if you build em yourself you still get warranties on the parts

On the + side I do like some of their cases, but you can actually buy the cases from vendors if you know where to look

Call me Ghosty Senior Member SuperGhost's Avatar

You do know that you got ripped off, right? And I sure hope that you are using x64 bit OS.

Beramusian Senior Member Fr4nkie's Avatar

Build > Buy

Like someone said before, you can get what you really want about ram memory, graphic card, cpu.