Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building a Custom PC

This is a discussion on Building a Custom PC within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Anybody have any suggestions for what to change with this PC that i plan to make or if there are ...
Page: 1

Anybody have any suggestions for what to change with this PC that i plan to make or if there are any compatability issues that I may have?

The price is in Canadian Currency which is about 80 cents per US dollar.

Future HeatSink: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=350...re=COOLERMASTER

everything seems perfect to me imho... but if u can afford, then get another hdd with 10000 RPM for ultra gaming, the hdd doesnt have to be big, 100-200 gb will do... and ofcourse u MUST get a 64 bit OS.

evilwevel

if it's not to far over budget i'd buy an extra video card and crossfire them, that would make a nice gaming system.

the one you've got now is good as well.

btw, if you're going for an awesome system, why not try a skulltrail motherboard ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

it's not much more for the motherboard, and you'll have to use DDR2 ram (don't worry, it's not going to be inferior to the DDR3 you got now). but the possability of having 8 cores does sound juicy doesn't it ?

if it's not to far over budget i'd buy an extra video card and crossfire them, that would make a nice gaming system.

the one you've got now is good as well.

btw, if you're going for an awesome system, why not try a skulltrail motherboard ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

it's not much more for the motherboard, and you'll have to use DDR2 ram (don't worry, it's not going to be inferior to the DDR3 you got now). but the possability of having 8 cores does sound juicy doesn't it ?[/b]
    The Intel i7 920 CPU is only compatable with an x58 Motherboard and the i7 CPU is a complete beast that can easily overclock to 4.2ghz without any modifications and it acts like 8 cores through hyper..something something.. Its the best quad core on the market right now.

Aside from loading up games and stuff, how much of a difference will a 10k RPM make? I heard from someone about overheating problems with those.

evilwevel

The Intel i7 920 CPU is only compatable with an x58 Motherboard and the i7 CPU is a complete beast that can easily overclock to 4.2ghz without any modifications and it acts like 8 cores through hyper..something something.. Its the best quad core on the market right now.

Aside from loading up games and stuff, how much of a difference will a 10k RPM make? I heard from someone about overheating problems with those.[/b]
    you mean hyper-threading ? :lol: yeah that probably works, i never knew it existed in dual and quad cores to. always thought it was just for pentium 4.

anyway, a 10000 rpm drive is something you buy for windows, it increases the overall speed of your system (windows works a bit better) but it really doesn't make that much diffrence. and i know someone who has one of those raptor HDD, and he got so much dust in his case that his processor wasn't cooled enough and it caused his entire computer to lagg. but the HDD was fine, so i don't think they overheat that fast

the only real diffrence about those 10k rpm hdd is that they cost 10k times as much as a normal drive for something you don't really notice when gaming (you might notice it, just like you MIGHTt notice the diffrence between 520 and 521 fps)

you mean hyper-threading ? :lol: yeah that probably works, i never knew it existed in dual and quad cores to. always thought it was just for pentium 4.

anyway, a 10000 rpm drive is something you buy for windows, it increases the overall speed of your system (windows works a bit better) but it really doesn't make that much diffrence. and i know someone who has one of those raptor HDD, and he got so much dust in his case that his processor wasn't cooled enough and it caused his entire computer to lagg. but the HDD was fine, so i don't think they overheat that fast

the only real diffrence about those 10k rpm hdd is that they cost 10k times as much as a normal drive for something you don't really notice when gaming (you might notice it, just like you MIGHTt notice the diffrence between 520 and 521 fps)[/b]
    So stick to a 7200 RPM then eh. :lol:

If anyone has any suggestions to give me the same performance in the PC at a lower cost then I am open to ideas.

~SkaNkLeR~ Senior Member griml2eaper's Avatar

off topic Question:
    how do you guys really remember all the names to your systems and different video cards
    like damn teach my ur ways :P

twitch.tv/sneaksdota Senior Member SnEaKy's Avatar

Sure hope your case includes the fans for that price...if for some reason it doesn't...then yeah.

Sure hope your case includes the fans for that price...if for some reason it doesn't...then yeah.[/b]
    it comes with everything

Banned

change the radeon HD 4870 to a Nvidia gt280

evilwevel

off topic Question:
    how do you guys really remember all the names to your systems and different video cards
    like damn teach my ur ways :P[/b]
    because that's what i do, i study informatics. so instead of remembering how to solve something that involves math, i know how to make java applications. so it's only natural that hardware and software are the things i can keep up with, since i use it on a daily basis.

btw, i installed my brother radeon HD4870, and it didn't come with a manual. so when you plug in the extra power cable and the fan starts spinning at 100% (sounds like the whole thing is going to take of any second) you used the wrong connector (you can plug in the power cable in 2 diffrent places)

evilwevel

the case is a bit expensive, but that's up to you i suppose. also it's the first case i've seen where the power supply should be mounted on the bottom =/ so remember to clean it a lot since it'll suck some dust down there.

the rest looks like a good gaming rig. although you might want to get two less expensive video cards and put them in sli or crossfire. some say this reduces lag when playing high end games.

or leave it like this.looks really good, even made me jealous :lol:

I'l show it off with pictures in the off-topic section next month when its finished. :lol:

Community Nazı Senior Member schrotti's Avatar

why 3 ram sticks? get another one and run them in quad channel (if motherboard supports it, didn't bother checking).
    i7 920? Blah, 965 or nothing!
    What could you possibly need a 750w PSU for? 600 should do perfectly fine.
    Get another gfx and crossfire them. (I'd go for the gt280 though, just works smoother and better with intel =))
    Get a 10000rpm HDD for your games/applications that use up a high load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast