Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building a New computer

This is a discussion on Building a New computer within the Tech Support forums, part of the Knight Online (ko4life.com) category; Ok, im looking to build my own PC after 4 years of running a peice of... What im looking at ...
Page: 1

Ok, im looking to build my own PC after 4 years of running a peice of...

What im looking at is to build a pure gaming PC.

What ive looked at:

Processor:

AMD - ATHLON 64 X2 6000+ SOCKET AM2 PROCESSOR

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Processor
    Socket AM2
    Dual Core - Windsor
    3.0GHz Clock Speed

I dunno what would work with it, and what i should look at, i know what casing im getting - and ill go out and buy these this weekend, maby tomorow to start getting some parts gathered, im also looking at a great graphics card for it

Id simply want to buy some of the best, high end quality items (ill update this in about 20 mins)

-----------------Power Supplie-------------------------

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...&sku=734717

---------------Hardrive----------------------------------

disk drive (3.5" for the bay)

160GB Internal Hard Disk Drive
    PATA Interface
    3.5" for Desktops
    7200RPM Spindle Speed
    2MB Buffer Cache

But id most likely get help from the tech guys at the shop - but they always wanna make you choose something thats not worth it! I want something that will allow my games to run nice and smoothly, without lag - and quick loads and that i can run KO at full graphics and have a comp to handle over 150+ people on a BF2 server (Yeah, i like to use mods ^_^ massacres ftw)

At the moment im running a AMD 64 Processor 2300+ (or 3200+)
    2.3 or 3.2 GHz
    Fucked up drive
    Standard power supplie
    256 M/B graphics card by ATI Radeon
    Sound blaster 4 (taken out and is sitting on shelf - use it in next PC)
    And really, the computer is shit. It runs slow, loads slow, BF2 takes 10 mins to load up when varifieing data - its not responding all the time - processor cant handle too much at one time.

Da Mod Father Senior Member Felix's Avatar

Cammy if you want I am happy to go over stuff with you later on msn ( home in 4 hours )

I am in the middle of a big rebuild after 2 years and will be happy to point you in the right direction for bits and bobs

Great! My dad used to be a computer tech at Aberdeen College - About 20 years ago

Things have changed scince then, he can still build em but dosent know much about it now - but its all changed! :P

He also tells me that America uses the 110 V main supply, but i know that we use the standard 230 V mains - Maby we could get the parts from america? - Cheaper - but will need a converter - and will this work in Britain! ?

arko

power converter+euro plug heads = pain :S

Cammy the prices of shipping a PSU aint' worth it, you can pick em up cheap nowadays anyway
    BTW, get a HDD with a larger cache size

The PC I'm building will be using a primary HDD 10k RPM and 16mb cache

I chose it cuz it was cheep lol, but i dont install much on my PC Actually. Very rarely do i install another game or download stuff.

bazzeeka

You want a Serial ATA HDD an at least 300gig there really cheap these days m8 80bux over here and u want
    Dual Core
    Dual Channel DDR 2 to run in line with 2x cores // 1gig ech core atleast
    512Mb Gfx card or SLi Dual 512Mb is the go
    and find the mother board that supports [ Dual core , Duo Core,Quad core , Dual Channel DDR2 , SATA , SLi Gfx , LAN / Sound ]

I chose it cuz it was cheep lol, but i dont install much on my PC Actually. Very rarely do i install another game or download stuff.[/b]
    I should have guessed coming from a Scot :lol:

Ignore Me Senior Member

If you want a games PC you should look at a RAID 0. Games are big now there is alot of data to read off the HardDrive.

RAID 0 almosts doubles the data speed reading off two drives. You need to look out for a SATA 3GB motherboard compatible with the socket of your processor that mentions RAID 0. Which is common. Then just buy two harddrives and the RAID will add them together so they appear as one with the speed boost.

If you want a good graphics card you will use a lot of power and will need to buy a quality PSU.

I should have guessed coming from a Scot :lol:[/b]
    Fuck

Well, tomorow im going down about 8-9 oclock to my nearest store and look for some help in person (but i dont want no cheap shit. - only Hard drive pls :x)

The case im getting is basicly Alienwear look ^_^ So it looks nice ( costing me 60 quid lol >.<)

Fuck

Well, tomorow im going down about 8-9 oclock to my nearest store and look for some help in person (but i dont want no cheap shit. - only Hard drive pls :x)

The case im getting is basicly Alienwear look ^_^ So it looks nice ( costing me 60 quid lol >.<)[/b]
    look for those figures with hdd (decent cache, fast spindle speed, access times and if it&#39;s raid 0 compatible)

btw , which store for Alienware. one of my workmates was trying o find one to buy

PredatorPowa

well i was about to buy a alienware for like 3k euros.... But i went in a store to check price difference between alien and that store and price was like 2.5k at store with ~ same composants... So guess from where i bought it ?^^

well i was about to buy a alienware for like 3k euros.... But i went in a store to check price difference between alien and that store and price was like 2.5k at store with ~ same composants... So guess from where i bought it ?^^[/b]
    At McDonalds??1!

lawl, For a 6,000$ USD Alienware computer I can build custom for around 1,500-2,000 USD xD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast